1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoffs? No way!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrooksBall, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

49-33, 6th seed

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

ONLY 20-4 against the weaker teams? This is the NBA. I don't care if we only play Miami and Minnesota for 24 straight games - winning 20 of 24 games in this league is very difficult.

Again, to win 50 games, we would have to finish the season 29-13.

The Spurs are 25-13 right now. They would have to win the next 4 straight to start the season 29-13.

We would have to go 31-11 to win 52 games. Whoever predicted we win 50-52 games at this point is truly an optimist. I prefer to be the realist.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You prefer to keep saying the same thing over and over and over and over again.

OK - if we do make the playoffs, will you do us all a favor and will you go away?

4. BrooksBall

The Rockets won't make the playoffs.

5. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Two things have to happen for the Rox to compete once again for the playoffs!

1. You must reel off at least one preferably two 10+ game winning streaks.

2. We must finish games to get to the winning streak.

Sounds simple but, ...

We had a golden opportunity with NO and Philly and we gave two away. Inexcusable! Happy about beating the Spurs! Good to see us for once going out there fighting, clawing and scratching.

Just my opinion but, I want Scola to go permanently to the starting lineup and for Landry to come off the bench. Hayes though good with D and rebounds, he is not a scoring threat and keeps finding ways to blow layups. Make that move and I think the aforementioned CAN happen!

I agree with SJC, anything can STILL happen! The Rox love the stretch run well, if they finally start playing 48 minutes, take better care of the ball (like last night vs SA) and force turnovers, this year is FAR from over!

Records as of last night in SW Division ...

Dallas 27-12
    NO 27-12
    SA 25-12
    Hou 21-19

It's not over, yet! But, if the Rox are going to become significant in the playoff picture they MUST make their move NOW!

One reason this year might end different from last, we have youth infusion!

We're no longer old and tired. Landry and AB can be significant factors into how we finish this season. Scola already looking like a seasoned vet and plays with great passion and energy. It won't be easy nothing worth having ever is!

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

At 21-19, Right now we're 3 games behind Portland and Golden State who have NO SIGNS of slowing down.

It's going to be REALLY HARD.. Utah, who's playing much better lately, is currently sitting at 9th with 1.5 games out of the 8th spot..

You can't lose games to Philly (twice) if you are serious about making the playoffs.

7. BrooksBall

That isn't happening.

It's not about winning streaks. It is about winning enough games, whether or not they are consecutive wins.

The only way the Rockets make the playoffs is by playing better than at least one of the teams that appear to be better them at this point.

8. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

How do you know? If you blend the chemistry right on this team, the talent is there to make a run and yes it IS about winning streaks because if you don't string wins together how will you ever gain on your division opponents and get in a better potential playoff position?

With exception of SA, Phoenix and Dallas, neither of the other seeds are dominant shoe-ins for the playoffs. Portland is learning but, they may be a year away. Denver if Camby goes down that cripples them defensively. Utah is showing signs of weakness plus, Boozer is in a slump. Lakers with Bynum out 6-8 weeks puts extra pressure on Kobe to carry the load and keep the Lakers close to the Suns, not happening with Kwame "The Anchor" Brown to assist. Even Nawlins can be taken over but, the Rox have to play great and consistent not just good and consistent. The only darkhorse that scares me is Golden State. That team is flat out scary!

9. Raven

Raven Member

Jan 21 Seattle
    Jan 23 Seattle
    Jan 25 Portland
    Jan 27 Utah
    Jan 29 Golden State

If the Rockets want to make some noise in the standings, winning these three upcoming games against Portland, Utah, and Golden State is the time to do it.

10. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

We don't want to hear reality. We're still dreaming about TMac's first season with 51 wins.

Seriously, the two losses (NO and Philly) was the first nail in the coffin. Even if we won those two games, we'd still be a full game behind the eigth seed, but now we're three games behind which is *very* difficult to make up because we have to beat out two teams (Utah and GS). One easy thing to do is to count losses. We can probably only afford 14 more losses the rest of the season. Based on our play and schedule, I just don't see us losing so few games.

Our margin for error was significantly used up in those two losses.

11. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Yes, or equivalently, not losing too many. As I just posted, we can only lose 14 more games the rest of the season. It doesn't matter if the losses are far apart or not, but 14 is probably the magic number for us now.

12. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Just curious, what is reality with you? If we aren't playing like the Celtics we suck so let's just tank, right?

Try this on for size, in the Rockets history there have been plenty of impossible mission situations. Examples: '81 Rockets went ether 40-42 or 42-40 got hot in the playoffs and went again Boston in the finals. In '95 the Rockets went 47-35 after languishing for most of the season and then well we REAL Rocket fans know the rest of the story. Greatest playoff run EVER!

In other words, don't say impossible because impossible means nothing just like yours and brooks ball's mindless drivel.

I'll tell you what since you and brooks ball are such virtuosos of judging talent and we obviously have absolutely NO chance in HELL of coming back and going back to the playoffs why don't you bozos put your money where your mouth is? :rolleyes: That is if y'all got any balls or are you just a bunch of spineless wimp fans that jump around like chicken little when storm clouds rise?

A tip jar bet! $20 the Rockets DO make the playoffs! $40 finally getting out of the second round! $60 WC finals! $80 NBA finals! $100 NBA champs!

I'm sure Clutch would have no problem with this! :D

So do you take my bet or not? If not, STFU already because you obviously are talking out your ASS and don't have a enough confidence to actually take a stance and stand behind it! Put up or shut up!

So do y'all take the pledge or not? Are y'all men or are you a mice?

Oh yeah, and the winner gets a PUNK DOWN thread and loser gets to say NOTHING! So are you game? I'll take the bet on my Rockets? Will you take the bet against them?

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

BrooksBall and northeastfan are just attention whores. Don't even bother with them. They just want to be the "I told you so" guys. I guess popularity on internet forums does it for them. But I guarantee you they'll be back on the bandwagon like nothing happened when we make the playoffs. Not to mention I doubt they have the BALLS to take you up on that bet.

14. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

You know, that's exactly why the lottery system is so good. You can't tank and automatically expect to get a great pick. I love the draft lottery, and I think all other sports should adopt it.

I think you might've misunderstood me; when I said the Warriors were never a true #8 seed, I meant that they actually had the talent level to be seeded way higher.

15. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

Our schedule is much better from now on than one month ago.

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Portland falls completely apart on the road. They are 6-13 on the road. They are slumping right now, because of their awful road record. They have lost 3 of the last 5 games with the lone wins against other slumping teams Miami(13-game losing streak) and New Jersey(4 game losing streak). I don't see how they make the playoffs with 22 more road games to play. Their early road problems were masked by a lack of road games early in the season.

Denver had a lightest road schedules, this season. They have played only 17 road games compared to GSW's 24 road games, Rocket's 22 road games, Portland's 20 road games, Utah's 19 road games. They have been unable to pull away from Utah. Denver is only 7-10 on the road. Things will start to look real iffy, when they hit that block of road games, with 4 other teams on their tail.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I can't edit, but I have changed Utah's road game count to 21 from 19.

18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

playoffs are there within our reach

19. neobomb

neobomb Member

you really should just chill out with all these threads.... their all pointless and make you look like your not a fan go post these threads on the espn board or something... or just give up

20. drich

drich Member

the jazz aren't a lock to get in either they are only a couple of games ahead of us

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.