1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoffs? No way!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrooksBall, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Same here - nice post, BrooksBall.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Hey, I should have known what to expect creating a thread like this. We ALL make mistakes.

Either way, let's look forward and see if this team can rebound.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

My "prediction" about LA doesn't count because it was pre-Gasol. That robbery/trade took them to a new level. Looking back, they had a good chance of not making the playoffs w/out him. I think I was wrong here, too.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Remember: Things are never as bad as they look when things are going bad. Conversely, things are never as good as they look when things are going great.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Can't have an Optimus Prime without some Decepticons

So Brooksball,

STAY MEGATRON

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nice post, BrooksBall. Putting your 'nads on display is never easy, but you finally manned up and took care of business. Kudos. The only problem is, that post makes it difficult to continue hating you, which was kinda fun. :D

I never doubted that you were a true fan -- you're just a pessimist fan while I'm an optimist fan. And the optimists won this particular battle handily, thanks to some unexpectedly splendid play by the team. I won't say better luck next time, because I hope this team still manages to surprise you later in the year.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What bothered me wasn't you personally, but the general attitude of pessimistic fans during the rough stretch of our season who had disaster set on their minds AND decided to post their negativity as if they were genius fortune tellers who would have their words marked in CF history. We all have our doubts from time to time, but if it isn't to cheer this team or to spark genuine, non-sensational discussion, then you're bound to find a good deal of resistance on a fan site. At least I hope there is resistance.

Well, their genius predictions have been marked and they were ****ing wrong. No doubt those same fans are lurking in the woodwork, saving their simple minded essays in MSWord and waiting with baited breath to launch the post button yet again. It's been a great 2 months where I haven't seen a trade this player or fire this Rockets staff thread. But this team is mortal, so the cycle continues...

You took the brunt of it, Brooksball, and the funny part is that even the pessimists were quick to jump on you. It's not their fault. They don't know any better.

8. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

Well BBall, I felt like this maybe a week before you made the thread and can't say that it was too far off base at the time. As a fan, you do hope and pray that your team will prevail and dominate over all others, but in reality when you look at the picture like you did, and the way we were playing at the time, I don't think a lot of the criticism you received was that warranted. I'm sure the BBS will bash me for backing you up a little, but at the time, a lot of these folks can't honeslty say they truly believed we had a chance. They might have hoped for the eventual turn around as did I, but sometimes people let the reality of the moment get to them instead of aspiring to seek the possibility of betterment in the future. So, good on you BrooksBall, I don't believe you to be any less of a Rockets fan than anyone else in here, we are all just different people with different upbringings.

TXBoy

9. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

Invisible fan, there are a lot of you, as I watch the games on national tv when I can. It's damn sad what the city of Houston has come to. I remember in the late 80's and early 90's when Houston lived and died with the Stros, Oilers and Rox. Now people are just fans when it's convenient, it's really sad. I rock my Houston sports attire whether we are stinkers or winners, but I always hope for the latter. That's part of being a fan. I will tell you one thing though, I can't stand fans of teams that became a fan of that team because of the number of pennants they have and a lot of those times those people have fans in their own city or close to them in their state.

I've met many like that in the Military. I know a guy that's a Yankess, Spurs and Cowboys fans. Sure it's easy to pick teams to root for so that you won't get too dissapointed that often, but that's what makes it even more beautiful when the winning comes. OMG how exciting and beautiful was it in '94 and '95 when the Rox finally brought Houston the end result of success. It was purely blissful. So take in the losses, be dissapointed, but stay true to your squad. A fan is as much a part of the team as the players and without the support of the fans, don't expect the team to be very successful.

10. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

I meant

I can't stand fans of teams that became a fan of that team because of the number of pennants they have and a lot of those times those people have TEAMS in their own city or close to them in their state.

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Huh? Weren't they were about 30-16 (65%) before Gasol even played? (And w/o Bynum)

Better than I expected.

12. hanlong

hanlong Member

They even hit #1 in the western conference for a few days pre-Gasol trade. They slipped to #4 when Bynum got hurt and the Gasol trade boosted them back in the hunt for #1 in the west.

13. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Why won't you die, thread?!?

[​IMG]

14. clutch11

clutch11 Member

15. RocketRedd45

RocketRedd45 Member

16. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Actually you weren't that far off.

Swap Rockets and Nuggets and you were right on. Nugs and Warriors fighting for the last spot.

hmmm... and you definitely proved with this thread you didn't see us winning 33 of our last 40 games. the humorous part is no one did... i guess it was still fun to rip your thread. thx for being the scapegoat. cheers.

17. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

And down goes BrooksBall!

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Can we lock this now?

BrooksBall is forever casted in a shadow of shame.

19. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

give it a couple more days and the lock will put him out of his misery :D

20. ThaShark316_28

Lock it up...

Brooksball...can you make a thread that says... "Finals in 2008? NO WAY!" So we can win the West. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.