1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoffs? No way!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrooksBall, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

There was nothing optimistic about it. Not to nitpick since there's so much love being spread around these days, but it has always bugged me how people on this site would always mark up games against playoff contenders as L's, and only assign W's to scrub teams. It's like some kind of perpetual loser complex, and it bugged me to death. Of course, W predictions will abound now that the Rockets are seemingly unbeatable.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

When they clinch, Brooks will probably man up and bump this thread, then we can lock it, and it can go down in infamy.

Maybe even into Clutch Fans history, I mean there has to be some clutch classic moments in this thread, right?

DD

3. Zfan

Zfan Member

The "luck" concepts exists in all civilizations wherever east or west. But a lucky thread does not exist everywhere.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

This is a great thread, it is one thing that balances all the jinx threads! That's why the rockets keeps on winning! five stars!

:D

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i don't remember anything as infamous made by a newb ever!
    i think the worst one i made was that bet with kellydywer about SAR not making the playoffs.
    I lost that bet, he taught me a good lesson..

NEVER BET or in this case 'predict' anything before the all-star break. In my case, the Kings got Artest and I lost $50.

At least Brooksball just lost his credibility not cash! :p

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not going to lie and say I envisioned this happening, but I'm quite comfortable with what I wrote then. The Rockets were 20-19 and coming off a home loss to the Sixers -- they were not playing great basketball and T-Mac was in and out of the lineup. I felt the Rockets would have a huge February, it would get much tougher in March and April and they by no means were out of the playoffs. I also left open the possibility of a huge surge. The game-by-game was a "should win/should lose" to illustrate they are not out of the playoffs.

They came together and radically improved -- I definitely underestimated them -- but I didn't write anything I regret ... well, I guess I do wish I had written a 19-game winning streak prediction like you though.

BTW, after the same exact Sixers game, here's what Fran Blinebury wrote:

http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2008/01/the_day_the_music_died_sixers.html

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That Sixers was the worst effort I've seen the Rockets give in a game in many many many years.

After a game like that, I'm sure Adelman (and certainly JVG) would have told the team that they are not making the playoffs with that garbage. Losing is one thing, but losing with no effort to get back on defense is deplorable.

I was very depressed after that game. I was very pessimistic. You can't blame anyone for writing an article about no playoffs after that.

my sunshine ass self could only find optimism in too places...(1) the February schedule was very weak, and (2) Adelman's first yr with Webber took him all year to gel. The Kings won 11 (or was it 12) in a row to end the season and make the playoffs.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I figured 50 wins, and I really felt that I was being conservative. I had to take it out of my sig because it was becoming obvious we'd hit that and then some.

I really saw the team coming together at the end of December and knew when t-mac came back we'd take off. Boy did we take off - but I don't think anyone would have said back then if we had lost Yao we'd still be able to pull this off.

Wow.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is my favorite. You're right - we did much better that 20-4 against the weaker teams! How about 19-0 againt weak and strong teams and counting!

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would absolutely LOVE to say I believed we would go 19-0, but that would be serious bunk.

I always believed the team and thought when we started off 6-1 we would be contending THIS year......then reality hit and the chemistry fell apart.

I always believed they would come back and make a good run and get into the playoffs...but to be only 1 game out of first in the loss column in the entire Western conference with 19 to play, AND controlling our own destiny....I would have been dreaming.

This team is WONDERFUL to watch, possibly the most fun watching any Rockets team I have ever had...they just play team basketball, and that is my favorite style to watch.

I remember watching the Kings games late night when Adelman was there and going...MAN....I wish we ran back cuts etc.....and now to see our team do that.....and win 19 in a row with total team play....and SEVEN without arguably our best player.

HOLY COW !!!

GO ROCKETS !

DD

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yeah, I don't consider a 45-win prediction optimistic. Sure, we were coming off a couple disappointing losses, but before those two, we were looking very good, and it was known that McGrady would be back in the lineup soon.

It wasn't like a horribly off-base prediction or anything, but it wasn't optimistic.

S'whatever though. Water under the bridge. BrooksBall, however, should never hear the end of it.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

It's easy to look back now, but two month back that was pretty optimistic prediction given we couldnt really say we can beat anybody. Not that I like to kiss Cluth rear, I am just pointing it out ... :D

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

WTH, I keep spelling CLUTH?

14. RowdyRedRaider

[jinxbreak]WE ARE GOING TO LOSE THE REST OF OUR GAMES AND MISS THE PLAYOFFS!!!11!!!1!![/jinxbreak]

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

16. tsunami

tsunami Member

I know thread would be dug out after today's win. Poor Brooksball. :D

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And CHOKE ON IT!!!!

18. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

HHAHAHAHAHAH BROOKSBALL WHERE U AT MAN???!!!!

19. GAY4WHO???

GAY4WHO??? Member

this is so wrong...but I love it :D

20. brooksstephens

Ok Ok.. so the guy was wrong.. get over it. Don't act like you guys thought we would win 22 straight games, 10 of them without Yao.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.