1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playing Off The Ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jan 10, 2021.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I'll ask the same thing that I just asked durva. What's the problem that we're trying to solve?

We've created more open shots than anyone else since Harden's been here. So why do we need to try and create those same shots in a different manner? it's not like we all of a sudden can't create open shots.

As I told you in an earlier post, no other player on our team can create open shots for teammates (Harden or otherwise) like Harden can. Otherwise, you're taking scoring options away from Harden and we're losing the additional shots that he creates.

Rocket River and D-rock like this.
  2. aelliott

I have no idea what point your trying to make here.

D-rock likes this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The goal is to be better in the playoffs. As elite as our offense has been in the regular season, it has been middling at best in the playoffs. I think the goal is try something a little different that could be more sustainable in a playoff series when we're facing the same team over and over again.

There is also the elephant in the room, which is that the player in question doesn't actually want to be on the team and there's a good chance that we won't finish the season with him on the roster. Sorry to go there, but that's also in the background of all of this.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

You keep pointing to this circular logic of "success, wins, and Harden" when our current situation isn't all that promising.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You don't?

It appears you do, in fact, get the notion

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

What a patronizing response because you had no real rebuttal to his post.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Where is the diversity?

OP showed us that Rockets are doing almost exactly the same thing they were doing last season except MUCH MORE INEFFICIENTLY.

HP3 likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

He likes conjuring alternate realities, it's sort of his schtick.

#108 D-rock, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    HP3 likes this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

Lmao WALL found him no one else has been shown to consistently find him because they are bad playmakers. That is the point. You are asking Harden to be bailed out by bad playmakers when they haven’t shown any ability to do so. And honestly Wall also hasn’t been shown to be a effecuent playmaker either. Take a look at John Wall only lineups.

D-rock likes this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

They all want “diversity” but that literally only means “Harden off ball” to them.

D-rock likes this.
  11. riko

riko Member

Yep let’s waste hardens prime so wall can get more touches. If wall was someone who could lead you to a title or young enough to warrant to sacrifice hardens prime for that strategy might make sense, but he is not that guy and regardless of harden sacrifice his game or not this team has no shot at a title .

D-rock likes this.
  12. durvasa

I'm open to other ideas. How would you make the offense more diverse while keeping Harden on ball?

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Add more cuts, elevator door actions, pin downs, screens off ball, DHO, etc.

And either Wall develops better 3ball or sit him in Harden only lineups.

For max efficiency, trade him for longer complementary players who better fit Silas system.

14. riko

riko Member

Or just trade harden for younger pieces.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I dont trust Rockets to trade for right pieces or even to develop/maximize those pieces.

16. durvasa

OK. Though, all these different actions aren't necessarily exploiting Harden's strengths as an on-ball player.

So, you'd bench Wall if he doesn't become a better 3-point shooter?

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes, good, someone has to mull over the next 5 years.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are right, Iso and/or PNR is the best way to maximize Harden and the Rockets. This has been proven.

But so many CFers are in love with motion for the sake of motion. Or mid range shots. Or Harden playing off ball. It's all based on ignorance, aesthetics instead of efficiency.

I honestly would trade him if I had my druthers.

19. aelliott

Again, I'm missing your point.

Harden is our best player. He makes us better. We've been very successful relying on him.

With our current roster, if we played as we have the past few seasons we would be a tough out in the playoffs. Are we guarenteed a title? No but we would have a chance.

riko likes this.
  20. riko

riko Member

Exactly