1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Player's coach or role player's coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bjshot, Apr 23, 2009.

1. bjshot

bjshot Member

Coach RA has reputation of 'player's coach'. What's that mean? It sounds to me that it's just a different style to deal with players. He didn't curse and critisize his players. That's all. Coach JVG had a different style. He did curse and critisize his players roughly and publicly. But still all his players loved him.

So it's really not that big deal if you are player coach or not as long as you are winning. I think it's the play style really make different between coach RA and coach JVG. RA is a 'role player's coach'. He asked clyder on his peak to reduce his shot. He wants players to share the ball. He wants to them to pass around and find the easy baskets themself. It's free style BB. It's need role players with high BB IQ such as Shane/scola/hayes/Rafer and partly landry. They can be effective without ball. But they are not main ball handler since rafer had gone and the main ball handler ron/ab/tmac are not his style players. that's the problem. Those in Sacramento Queens that peaked in the early 2000s are full of coach RA's players. But not here.

Coach JVG is follower of Coach Pat Raley. They believe in star power. Live or die on your stars. Even John Starks missed 15 of 16 his shot. He still was asked to shoot the final shot in game 7 of WC series in 1994.

Fronting on Yao will always generate some problems on Yao. But it's definintely coach's decision not to go to Yao. Even all Portland's bigs were into deep foul trouble, there was actually not much defense on Yao. But Rockets still did not look to Yao. It happened before many times in regular season (such as the last game in dallas). It's coach's decision.

"If you don't pass to yao, you are on bench." Coach JVG said it many times both as coach and as analyst. This JVG's coach style and belief. But for coach RA, it's more like "If you can't find Yao, find other way to score". If coach RA didn't push hard on players to look to Yao, why players bother?

So under the freestyle and role player's coach RA, the results are following,

1, the players will be not patient enough to find yao, (and coach RA blamed his players for it!)
    2, ballhogger like AB/Ron will play 1 to 5 street ball to score (It's their freestyle ball). They just forget totally about yao. I don't say they are selfish because they are not. It's just their play style.

Coach's duty is coaching, grouping the individual talents to maximize the team success. Coach RA need a team full of high BB IQ players to figure things out for themself. Apparently Rockets are not full of these kind players. They need disiciplined coaches like coach JVG, avery johnson to success.

I really feel sorry for this talented team. Even without tmac, they still are capable to win 60+ and defeat lakers. They are just this talented. Now it looks like another waste season even though I believe they should pass 1st round at 4-1.

2. ibm

ibm Member

i didn't quite get what you tried to say. that jvg is better than adelman?

different philosophy, different personality, different style, and different make-ups of rosters. that's all there is to it.

3. jae713

jae713 Member

JVG did not have these players, so it's not fair to compare the two.

4. NBAlover

NBAlover Member

i would like give this post 5 stars if i have the power to do so. coach should use most efficient players more often in order to create higher chance to win. RA's coaching problem is obvious that is some players are way way toooooo free. RA's style is not suitable to Yao whose position and personality decided that he need a disciplined players to pass ball to him.
    comparing coach RA and Yao, RA is more reasonable to ask players to pass ball to Yao, whereas Yao has less power to yell at his teammates to give him fu*cing ball. I just don't get it why coach RA has mentioned many times that Yao should asked for the ball from teammates. i do think it is RA's responsibility to arrange teammates to pass ball to Yao. i am so sick of RA so-called free style. i even could he is just lazy and let players to play freely.

no wonder Ron likes to follow him.

5. bjshot

bjshot Member

Coach RA didn't fit yao well. he did do good job on Rockets.

6. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

I think Rick has been a great coach for the rockets. i will say though, he is not the best coach for yao. i think jvg was better with yao. it is clear in the way they speak they have different philosophies when it comes to him. jvg thinks yao is the best low post player in the game and thinks offense should revolve around him.