1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

players are drafted too young for the NBA needs minor leagues and not NBDL crap

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by robbie380, Dec 13, 2002.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

ok this post spawned off my last post in the topic where some guy was hyping the draft of '02 as possibly the best since '84.

the players in the draft are getting so young it is getting scary, because it is either sink or swim for them. in next years draft two 18 year olds will be picked #1 and #2 and these guys both would have declared eligible for the draft if the NBA would have allowed them to in '02.

the reason why this is getting scary is because there is no middle ground to fall back on like in baseball. in the NBA you either sink or swim.

this is getting out of control...guys like tskitishvili (sp?), hilario, amare, kwame, boki, and so on need more playing time and coaching to develop. i have a feeling that it is very difficult to cater to the coaching needs of a player fresh out of HS versus a player right out of 4 years of college versus a foreign player versus player who is a NBA vet.

some HS players are capable of making the adjustment those guys are usually the best of the best like kobe, garnett, moses malone, kemp (in his prime), and so one. but there may be other players like leon smith, deshawn stevenson, and so on who might turn into solid NBA players like a eddie johnson or harpring or najera with proper coaching. i can't think of any players straight from HS who turned into mid-level NBA players...they were either badasses or you never heard from them again.

some foreign players might be better served if they were able to play in the NBA minor league for a year to get more playing time and to become more acquainted with the american style of play. it took peja more than 2 years to develop, dirk took over a year, turkoglu is still developing, boki needs time, maybe mirsad turkcan could have made it, wang zhi zhi said he has missed out since he was stuck in the cba, skita needs time...the list goes on and on.

then you could fill out the rest of the minor league with marginal college players who still are trying to make it like a gabe muoneke type player or kris clack. they might turn into players like elie or hawkins. the type of guys that found a niche other than scoring and excelled at it. guys like these could also be called up from the minors to help teams out. they might be more consistent since they had more playing time and more coaching, and might work harder since they know it may be their only shot and they have to bust their ass or be sent back to the minors. guys like these could also be used to fill out NBA rosters rather than have guys like boki, who need to be playing, sitting on the bench because the coach knows they aren't ready.

so instead of 18/19 year old rookies filling out the bench you could have vets who are accustomed to NBA-style basketball and you would see improved game play.

the NBA could expand the draft like it was in the past and teams could draft the bad ass prospects early and still be able to get solid, fundamental 3 or 4 year college players to play on their teams who would be apart of their team contributing much sooner..like carlos boozer or gadzuric as replacements until the prospects are ready.

finally, not everyone develops at the same pace as can be seen with a lot of the top baseball prospects...some make it to the top in a year (pujols) others take years to get it right (bagwell) but when they do they are still badasses. the talent is almost always there with the players its just a matter a lack of coaching and maturity in a lot of the guys that fall to the wayside in the NBA.

for anyone who took the time to read it all feel free to change things up or whatnot. its kind of disorganzied, but just my thoughts on things.

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Whats wrong with playing in the NBDL? If I got paid 50,000 (I think thats what they get paid) a year to play basketball with the chance of getting in the NBA, I wouldn't be all that upset.

3. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

if coaches are willing to develop the players IN the NBA, why not let them? I don't think there should be any age limit other than a HS education. I mean, it's a job - if the person is qualified - you take them, especially if they are VERY QUALIFIED such as LeBron James and Darko Milicic (who might not be allowed in this draft). I mean, Darko has been playing Pro basketball oversees since he was 16 - i think the guy has proven himself qualified. It's not like "not allowing" him into the draft will force him into a university education or anything - he'll just keep playing pro basketball oversees.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think that may be the most they are paid. Some of them are paid a lot less than that if what my professional basketball player friend tells me is true.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don't remember discussing any of that with you?

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I don't think a formalized development league would be a bad thing. (then Austin could get their team!)

Seriously, it could do nothing but help the league as a whole. I'd love to be able to spend ten bucks to get great seats to watch a hometown team that's "almost" as good as the NBA. Maybe the Moody's could put in a small arena in Galveston.

Then, these college and highschool players that just can't seem to crack into some real playing time could hone their skills in the minor league. It would be less risk for them, and less risk for the league.

Plus, it would give some smaller markets access to some good b-ball. Not only that, these fans would follow their players into the NBA when they make the show. It just seems like a win-win-win situation.

I have to be missing something though....or they'd already be doing it.

7. Mudbug

Mudbug Member

I think that a minor league would be good for basketball players but I wonder how many high school prospects would skip college and go to the minors. College basketball is very popular and produces stars that go into the NBA and make money for the NBA. If a lot of players skip college and go directly into the minors, I could see this hurting college basketball and indirectly hurting the NBA.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why it won't happen:

NBA players association won't agree to a 'formalized' contractual obligation for players in the minor league that limit their ability to shop their services. They want any player to be able to sign with any team that wants them.

The teams, conversely, will never seriously put effort into developing players that might simply bolt to the competition at the earliest chance. If they are going to make a real effort at development, they want to have (somewhat) exclusive control of what they are developing.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

How does hurting college ball hurt the NBA? It would seem to me that it would help the NBA at the NCAA's expense.

10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Then don't set it up that way. Allow the minor's to have contracts just like the majors....albeit at much lower figures.....and probably only good for a season. With the contracts ending prior to the start of the NBA regular season so minors would be eligible for the draft and/or for NBA free agent signings.

If an NBA team wanted to pick up a minor league player that was under contract (say...midseason), they would have to buy out the contract. This could be incentivized in such a manner that might be VERY attractive to the minor league team....while still being chump change to the NBA team. This would be a good way for teams to use up those injury and trade exceptions that are always expiring.

You could even set it up in such a manner that the minor league team retains a certain amount of rights to departing players....that way if they develop someone who turns out to be awesome, they would be somewhat compensated when that player is snatched away by the majors. This would be a HELL of a good incentive for the minors.

This doesn't have to follow baseball. There are ways to set this up that would make sense for everyone.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

the problem is that the NBDL does not have ties to specific franchises. its too small right now also.

under the current system if a player wants to try to bust his ass and make it to the NBA as an undrafted player then he would more than likely have to go the way of what hawkins did. this means having to play all over the globe to have a chance. when you have to go to such extremes like moving to a foreign country you are going to lose players who might end up being decent because they don't want to have to completely uproot their entire lives and move somewhere that they have no family and don't know the language.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

there is nothing wrong with coaches wanting to develop players in the NBA. it might be best in some cases. it happens when the players are good enough in baseball as well. the players progress very fast through the minors (like beckett, prior, or a-rod) and do most of their development in the majors.

however, not everyone develops at the same pace. that is why you need a minor league for the hs players who have trouble developing fast or maybe need more coaching and time to mature. i'm not saying there is something wrong with players not getting a college education, but i am saying there is something wrong when the only high school players that succeed in the NBA are the ones who are destined for the upper tier of NBA basketball. if you can name more than a handful of high school players who developed into aaron mckie, eric snow, brent barry, charlie ward type guys then be my guest. i can't even name one. point being...there is NO middle ground for very young players. they are either huge successes or nothing.

now, if you think that this means that the HS players who were drafted and didn't make it really had no talent at all then i guess thats an argument, but i feel otherwise. i think these guys did have lots of talent, but just were not able to make such a huge transition so fast. even though these guys might not end up being hall of famers they could still end up being solid 20 min/game players with solid fundamentals. i think baseball has enough examples of guys who took a bit longer to develop but still made a solid impact. i'm too lazy to do research on guys from HS who made an average impact at the pro level.

damn it i gotta get off the computer. i had more to write about foreign players...be back later

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pole - I think you miss my point.

Historically, minor league baseball is not profitable. The system works because teams pump money into it under the assumption that they are looking after personal intrests by developing players for themselves.

NBA players don't want to give up their freedom to operate under a free market for their services.

The conflict is between the NBA teams and the players. The minor league teams aren't an issue. In order to pump money into it, teams want to have control over where the reciepients of their money are able to sign. But the players don't like that trade off.

14. HoustonTx211

HoustonTx211 Member

man let the young players get their money they may need the money for their families.