1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Player impact on teammate's offensive stats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Are there charts to show each player's impact on teammates' humanity? If so, Scola's would be off the charts.

2. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

I agree with this...

If DD thinks that Dragic is better than Lowry at running the team, could he explain it without using numbers? Qualitative descriptions are not that great unless you can have some quantitative information to back it up. In fact, I bet that you can't have a discussion where you say that player X is better than player Y and prove it without bringing in a single number. Bring in a single number and you have a stat.

Also, just because a player is better in one area it doesn't mean that he is a better player. You need to combine different facets of their game.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You don't need numbers to see that Dragic is better and that the offense is flowing more freely with Dragic at the point.

Numbers back up what trained eyeballs see.

DD

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think that most people that have played basketball understand chemistry, and when a team is playing more efficiently than others, it is pretty easy to spot on the floor - and Durv's numbers simply back up what is fairly obvious to people that have played the game, or been around a lot of it.

The ball moves better with Dragic at the point, than it does with Kyle, or did with Kyle.

Guys are moving their bodies and cutting to the basket more frequently in the half court because Dragic can make passes Kyle can not in the half court set.

That is not to say Kyle is not good, it is just that Dragic's court vision appears to be a heck of a lot better, especially in traffic.

Dragic is a much better athlete, he is taller, quicker, a better passer, and finisher - there really is not much comparison.

So while he may only be incrementally better in some of that, taken as a whole, he is simply a better option at the PG position.

And the numbers back up what the trained eye can see already.

DD

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Bingo!

You know, this whole rep thing is bugging me. Something needs to be adjusted. When you can't give a guy rep for 6 months there's a problem.

6. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

DD also thought AB made his teammates better than Lowry did, even though his numbers rivaled Marcus Morris's.

1 person likes this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It shouldn't be an issue if you "spread it around".

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Great stuff durvasa. Those breakdowns pass the eyeball test,especially mine. A guys like parsons does a lot of things well on the floor. Dragic since starting can do things with the ball off the bounce in half court and transition to get the team out of stagnation. Lowry,playing with martin and out of the adelman offense can't create points late game in half court. Early game, scola gets those open pick and pops, but teams realize lowry can't get to the rim,so they squeeze scola and lowry and their effeciency goes down.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Deck and druvasa, that's the thing I've been wondering too. From my subjective observation, Scola seems to play a lot more "within the flow" in the first quarter. Catching and shooting mid-range jumpers, running the floor, getting easy layups. That's when he is most effective. As the game wears on, the touches he gets are set post up in the mid-range areas where he needs to dribble and fake his way to get the shot. And whenever he does that, a lot of turnovers happen.

I just don't think he is a good post up player. I don't know why they keep doing that with him, especially late in the game when he is more tired.