1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Comparison]Frank Ntilikina Defense Film Study

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Roxs-Redemption, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Roxs-Redemption

Based on last night clutch performance from Knicks, I have decided to come back to CFs and write a thread on Frank's defence. He was hitting clutch shots and was a pest on defence and I personally can learn a lot from him.
    Does anyone besides me see him as a Patrick Beverley or Avery Bradley defence type mentality?

Here's a few breakdowns of a YT channel I came across. Very helpful breakdown.

Defense vs Cavs

Defense vs Rockets

I love me, some Beverley but Ntilikina is definitely up there in comparison to him at a such a young age.
    Cant forget him for this highlight. Grit and grind Beverley

Koperboy and Wapzoe like this.
  2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

i think there's a good chance he'll be better than both defensively because his physical tools are much greater. 6'5 with a 7'0 wingspan at PG. george hill-ish attributes.

really like the kid. hate the knicks but him and KP are going to be fun to watch for years to come

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think he's going to be a great defender, but waaaay too soon to talk about Beverley level. Beverley is all-nba first team defense alongside Chris Paul >> something that takes both consistent effort and consistent defensive excellence.

Ntilikina's offense is what interest me. I didn't think he would be serviceable for a couple of years, but looks like he's not too far.

4. omgTHEpotential

His wingspan is crazy. Huge hands too. Kawhi-esque.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Looks like the Knicks have a promising rookie. Let's see what happens from here.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

his feet look too slow to be a pg and or an elite defender

7. Normalus

Normalus Member

He has enough speed & length to guard 1-2-3 positions. If he adds some muscle, you would occasionally see him switch to guard 4's as well.

8. Roxs-Redemption

Slightly off-topic, do you think Gregg Popovich has a better long-term international based team or what coach Phil Jackson did for Knicks team drafting Porzingis and Ntilikina?
    (Will Knicks draft more international prospects in the future? remains to be a question)

Archive attach old article comparing both coaches

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Landry Fields says hi

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hard to compare because we don't know yet how good Porzingis or Ntilikina will be. For now, TD, TP, Manu plus many others put Pop in a class by himself. Rockets fans should be glad he made the mistake of keeping Tiago Splitter and trading Scola's rights to the Rockets. Might have cost them a championship or two.

Don't forget there were some foreign players who were flaming disasters under Pop. Rasho, Beno and Hedo for example. He tarred, feathered and ran all 3 out of town. It was pretty brutal.

11. Normalus

Normalus Member

This kid had a great rookie season, in terms of expectations. Especially on the defensive end. And Frank turns just 20 in 5 days.

6:10

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Just needs to be more confident in his shot or willing to drive to the rim consistently and not be passive on the offensive end. Should be interesting to see how it goes with him, Knox, Timmy so Hardaway Jr. and Porzingis...when he returns.