1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Player Assets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I have grown to admire Morey's grasp of the business side of player management. When we had CD, he would make a good trade, sometimes boldy going after a big one, then a bad trade, seldom make good moves in the draft, often overvalue our players and get stuck with huge contacts. Morey is pretty consistent at doing shrew moves on all fronts, increasing his assets little by little, often with very little to work with. This MIT grad is not just good with statistics, he's good at building a team.

I have to admit, hearing stories of possibilities for players like Chris Paul and Chandler, that we might have a deal with PHO for Amare and Barbosa, maybe Shaq, Carter, and others, today felt a little brutal. Shaq goes to Cleveland, Carter goes to Orlando, Jefferson goes to San Antonio ... eeks ... what are WE doing that compares? I thought we were going to be predatory, heard we wanted to get up in the lottery, even get someone like Rubio ... the expectations grew.

Then nothing the whole first round. Surely there were trades behind the scenes ... but, so far, nothing. Feels like a letdown.

The main thing I thought Morey had up his sleeve was that in this economy, he could BUY assets, get great talent for expiring contracts and some of the late picks we've developed who shone in the playoffs, and sell high, buy low. Be predatory. Sell the assets we've developed when their value is highest, and pick up some more to develop at low cost.

As he basically bought these 3 picks for cash in the second round, it started to make sense. He didn't find any players worthwhile trading for in this weak, although deep draft, but he did add quite a few million dollars of assets he can add to trades coming up, or move our developed talent (Brooks, Landry, Scola, Von Wafer (maybe S&T), maybe even Battier) in packages for better talent, and develop these new guys.

Budinger was projected to go in the 20s in most draft mocks, so he was a steal where he was picked. I assume the Spaniard LLuLL will be stashed overseas, and Taylor is someone they've been scouting for years to be a diamond in the rough, they evidently feel they can develop.

But, all these guys, AND our overseas stashed guys can be signed, and then included in trades to get who we want.

It's what Morey calls "Player Assets." These include our players, expiring contracts, draft picks, TE's, other "E's," insurance policies, and cash in trade. The good thing about these "assets" is that all we had to do was pay cash for them, which just increased Morey's flexibility in creating trades this summer.

These 2nd round picks don't have to go by formula, and they can even be signed so they fit the trades or budget we need to make, so they are pretty valuable.

Of course, now I have expectations that Morey is going to do some very cool stuff with these additional "player assets" this summer, to help us become a contender.

It doesn't sound like TMac will be around much longer, and I hope Yao's fracture isn't serious, but I'm quite curious how things will get restructured this summer with all these trading chits.

2. Strawman

Strawman Member

Hopefully Morey's knows what he is doing...

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Amen, his stength to date has been in trades, if he can keep the core intact and trade these picks, then awesome draft.

If not, then hopefully he knows what he is doing.

DD

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

The more I look at how Morey work, the more I feel he's one of the most conservative GMs around. The guy just doesn't take risks, and refuse to overpay. Even someone like T-Mac, which I'm sure most of the board feels is worthless besides his contract, is not someone Morey will part cheaply.

In that sense I wasn't even expecting anything from this draft. IMO it takes a perfect storm of situations for Morey to get into the lottery. And the odds of that are always very slim.

5. Roxxx4life

Roxxx4life Member

I'm sure he has an idea of what he wants to do... The only one that doesn't make sense to me is they keep drafting players and send them overseas... Are they trying to make a team in Europe? :D

6. texascityman31

This Rockets team will either sink or swin. win a title or.................BURN IN HELL.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Draft day is like New Year's Eve... the smart people usually stay close to home.

Everyone's in a frenzy and expectations are high, but it's a long summer and somebody will panic between now and the start of the season or the trading deadline. And really, what did we lose out on? Jefferson's OK, Shaq is on his last legs, and Vince is getting up there and doesn't quite have the personality to fit on the Rockets. Morey wants to stockpile young assets, not overvalue older ones... and that's fine with me.

As it is, the Rockets will have a fun summer league team with at least two guys out to prove they should have gone in the first round. As others have said, a cheap 2nd rounder or two who scores like crazy in the summer leagues may be an added enticement to teams out there on the verge of panic.

I like what happened tonight a lot more than some of the "proposed" trades.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Great post. Way to see the bright side.

Err............ yeah!!!