1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Player Assessment] Kevin Porter Jr.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 18, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He is selfish and slow in the head.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's an objective fact that his efficiency has improved and that he's a more efficient scorer than Jalen was last season and Jalen last season was a more efficient scorer than Jalen this season.

It's not an opinion.

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

KPJ after going from bad to slightly less bad efficiency:
    [​IMG]

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.... okay and you're slobbing Green who would have to significantly improve to become that efficient.

Lol I like that you can't help but prove what I was saying all along. It was always transparent.

5. Ancient Moabite

So based on your JG diatribe his rookie year and him being few yrs away from being NBA caliber, does this make KPJ few years away from being NBA caliber since Jalen sucked so bad according to your standard?

How hard would it be to have better efficiency than one of the worst players in the nba?

eurobasket23 likes this.
  6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Kpj is a better shooter and even then the margin isnt even that wide between the two, but he aint a better scorer than Green.

Kpj can't draw fouls as well either.

Just look the game right now. Only 5 shot difference and green is at 38 vs kpj 21.

7. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

KPJ is a great tank commander. He should be as far away as possible from teams that are trying to do good things.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

[​IMG]

Imagine being on this sort of list and have kpj stans tell u Green needs to start off the bench as a sixth man so kpj can take his spot when we find an actual pg. :rolleyes:

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Green is going to be 21 for most of next season... That means he has a good shot of reaching top 5 all time.

Ancient Moabite and rockets1995 like this.
  10. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I'm slobbing Green by saying he improved his game? Sure.

Honestly you haven't even named a stat you've just said "efficiency". I mean if you really want to argue about who is the smartest kid on the shortest bus then clarify.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

His efficiency isn't "bad." It's pretty decent for his age.

Anthony Edwards: 56.7
    Ja Morant: 55.5
    Kevin Porter Jr.: 55.5
    LaMelo Ball: 54.1
    Josh Giddey: 53.3
    RJ Barrett: 53.2
    Scottie Barnes: 52.5

I think this board overestimates the typical efficiency of young guards.

12. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Harden effect, not everyone leads the league in TS% at 22.

PatBev, Verbal Christ and Houston77 like this.
  13. i3artow i3aller

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Who doesn't like playing with each other? I'm pretty sure Alpe and Jabari are over it, so maybe it's KPJ and Sengun? KPJ and Jabari? I don't know.

Glad the media is talking about KPJ giving up on that play in such a childish way. Should get called out for it.

Crashlanded19 and DaDakota like this.
  15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

All Star and Hall of Fame List

16. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Is this aimed at Porter?

I was at the game and sitting up way too high to hear or see subtle expressions but I saw Uzi was pissed off at one point. I was just like... why is Garuba so mad lol

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

The difference is Green is almost two years younger, has two years less experience in the league, and has much better physical tools. He has much more room to improve than KPJ.

KPJ should have shown more improvement by now. He is essentially the same player he was 2 years ago.

Most all-star level guards have had some kind of breakout by the end of their third year. You can look back at all kinds of top guards in today's league and see that's the case. Dame, Ja, Luka, SGA, CP3, Harden, Trae, Kyrie--all showed significant improvement before the end of their third seasons and were already looking like future stars. Some of those guys broke out in their second years in the league, even. Only exception I can think of is Steph and that's because he got hurt and missed most of the season.

KPJ is nearing the end of year 4 and he's just the same dude. There's nothing there to make anyone think he's going to be a star player, and at this point, I doubt there ever will be. Maybe he's a starter-caliber player, it's kinda borderline, but given how ball-dominant he is, it'd take a special kind of situation for that to work. Once again, most likely he's just a good bench player, and that's where he's going to find himself, or end up out of the league if his ego can't handle it.

18. MystikArkitect

What was Clutch responding to here? Tweet got taken down.

19. PatBev

PatBev Member

The past two years SGA has led the Thunder to a total of 9 more wins than the rockets between two seasons. The Thunder have been just as dogshit like us under SGA who had a entire year learning from CP3 and as soon as CP3 left SGA led okc straight to the bottom with us for two straight seasons

It wasn’t until this year at 24 that SGA showed great improvement. I remember Thunder fans wanting to trade him

Mathloom likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good to see not everything is swept under the rug already.