1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Kevin Porter Jr.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 18, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Smart and KPJ are two different type of players, they play different roles for their perspective teams. As I stated, Smart is similar to a Deshaun Tate, Shane Battier type and KPJ is more of a scoring PG.

It's obvious you are a SOF by this comment, " Smart being perfect for getting the ball to Sengun" And this is why our analogies are different.

I'm a ROF (ROCKET'S ONLY FAN), so I'm looking at what's best for the TEAM, not just one player. While Sengun is a good player, I do not think he can carry the team nor produce the same scoring as KPJ, nor can Marcus Smart. And since the ultimate objective of the game is to OUT SCORE your opponent.....I think KPJ's 18/5/6 is exactly what the Rockets need.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Smart and KPJ are two different type of players, they play different roles for their perspective teams. As I stated, Smart is similar to a Deshaun Tate, Shane Battier type and KPJ is more of a scoring PG.

It's obvious you are a SOF by this comment, " Smart being perfect for getting the ball to Sengun" And this is why our analogies are different.

I'm a ROF (ROCKET'S ONLY FAN), so I'm looking at what's best for the TEAM, not just one player. While Sengun is a good player, I do not think he can carry the team nor produce the same scoring as KPJ, nor can Marcus Smart. And since the ultimate objective of the game is to OUT SCORE your opponent.....I think KPJ's 18/5/6 is exactly what the Rockets need.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The premise I was responding to was "no moving Jalen no matter what" so I just went with it.

KPJ would clearly be the best player at the 1,2, or 3 so it doesn't really matter.

HardenReturns likes this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

KPJ could easily play the 3. His biggest defensive issue, IMO, is sometimes letting fast guards get past him, which obviously would be less of an issue at the 3. That's why this draft works out well for us if we land top three.

Land Wemby? KPJ / Green / Smith / Wemby / Sengun
    Land Scoot? Scoot / Green / KPJ / Smith / Sengun
    Land Miller? KPJ / Green / Miller / Smith / Sengun

Things get more complicated if (1) we sign Harden; or (2) we land outside of the top 3.

HardenReturns likes this.
  5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Good post, the only thing is if we land Wemby, I think we could see a lineup of
    KPJ/GREEN/KJ or TARI/WEMBY/JABARI

Wemby has made it clear he doesnt want to play center and Jabari has shown, he's best defending 4/5, not 3's.

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

JaeSean Tate

snowconeman22 and hlmbasketball like this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Calling him the best player on this team means nothing. Calling a guy who played zero minutes at 3 a 3 means nothing, silly to boot. Further, that acting like a move to 6th man is some conspiracy working against him but playing 3 isn't a nonsensical scenario?

The argument for KPJ/6th man is really simple. They are not moving on from Jalen Green while he continues to progress (and he is, noticeably so). They are likely to upgrade at guard this offseason. Porter is not a forward.

OremLK and anthony59237 like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So, in your mind they are DEFINITELY not moving on from Jalen..... but they are moving on from a guard that is better than him at everything?

Lol, okay

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Harden is an elite defender in the post. KPJ is not an elite defender anywhere. At least when Harden slacks off on D he can still compensate on O.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Thankfully for us that’s not up to him

11. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Definitely not. You don't pick someone #2, watch him take legit steps forward in year 2 and then bench him. I don't feel like this is a crazy take, is this a crazy take?

12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

No, there is not a team that would keep/play KPJ over Green.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What "legit steps"? Jalen is still one of the worst defensive players in the entire league and he's an even less efficient scorer than he was his rookie season when he was terrible nearly the entire season.

Basically this year he's upped his volume, but not the quality. He's still a net negative player, there's some hope that eventually he'll get better, but as of now he's something of a one way chucker.

Thinking that someone is a sacred cow based solely on draft position is absurd....and it certainly doesn't put him ahead of other young players that are objectively superior in every way.

14. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Well, I wouldn't dare disagree with the one-way comment because he's a bad defender and he's got to improve on that end for sure. You're really selling him short on what is a clear improvement on his offense though, it's not just volume.

If thinking being picked #2, #3 overall makes you a piece the team wants to build around is absurd, then I'm absurd.

Curious though, this thread isn't about Green after all... what do you think Kevin Porter has improved on in his 2.5ish seasons of not playing SF/3 in Houston?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Green's efficiency is down from his rookie season, KPJ's is up. That's what improvement looks like.

16. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Yeah you're right, I look forward to Kevin Porter Jr.'s HOF election this offseason.

17. PatBev

PatBev Member

Don’t even sign harden. Spend 60 million on a new bench

How is Tate our backup point guard

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, is that what you took from what I said? His efficiency has gotten better, Green's has gotten worse, it's just objectively true. It doesn't mean anyone is heading for the HOF...at this point I'm just hoping Green eventually improves to the point where he's a net positive player. I'm hoping KPJ improves to where he's a bigger net positive.

There's not any player currently on the Rockets that has any chance of the HOF.

You kind of give yourself away with such absurd rhetoric.

19. invocux

invocux Member

Absolutely not pg gotta end this m*ronic experiment next season. A pg makes around him better, he doesn't. His pnr with Sengun is a disaster. Sengun never receives the ball.

20. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

The guy defending Kevin Porter Jr.'s efficiency should probably take it easy on declaring other people's opinions "absurd rhetoric".