1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Kevin Porter Jr.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know what will happen with Henderson, there's parts of his game I like, but other parts I'm not sure will translate. Also, unless he learns how to shoot a lot better than I've seen thus far, he's going to struggle.

NewAge and maj21 like this.
  2. maj21

maj21 Member

I agree! There’s definitely superstar upside with tho. Do you agree that it’s foolish to think he’s gonna be better than KPJ 7 months from now?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wow that's an insane hot take.

I liked Marcus Smart better when he was calling himself Patrick Beverley.

Smart is better than KPJ defensively but he's WAY behind him offensively and overall. It's not even close really.

What you mean to say is that Marcus Smart has had better teammates than KPJ. If you swap KPJ for Smart you make the Celtics a lot better and the Rockets worse.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh for sure, he definitely won't be better 7 months from now.

Also, if he was on the Rockets, we'd just hear whining about how he was too ball dominant and how bad he was defensively and how bad he was at shooting.

maj21 likes this.
  5. maj21

maj21 Member

And the Sengun fans won’t KPJ and Scoot to take his place. It’ll be way worse for Sengun bc it’ll be less floor spacing and he wouldn’t touch the ball much. I think Brandon Miller fits perfectly! Slide him at the 3 with his length and shooting, that would take it up to another level

#65 maj21, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    PatBev and DaDakota like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know, I kind of want Tari to be that 3 unless we have to move KPJ there.

7. PatBev

PatBev Member

This made me go look at his stats for the first time

6’2, 16pts per, 27.5% 3pt shot, 3.5 TO, doesn’t even have a 2:1 assist ratio

Sounds to me like the only thing he might do better than KPJ is drive to the paint. I’d rather draft the best shooter in the draft

maj21 and DaDakota like this.
  8. maj21

maj21 Member

Yeah I love tari, but miller is potentially a huge upgrade and would give us elite shooting. If Jabari bulk up, it could be a nasty switchable lineup.

Jabari
    Tari
    Miller
    Jalen
    KPJ

9. maj21

maj21 Member

He’s Westbrook imo lol. Russ is a hall of famer of course, but idk if Scoot will even be a on his level tbh

10. MystikArkitect

Miller is absolutely better than Tari at almost everything except maybe steals. Jabari as a small ball 5 with Miller at the 4 and Tari at the 3 is absolutely busted.

11. maj21

maj21 Member

Yeah, miller and tari as prospects isn’t even close. No offense to tari

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ is developing fine, he is the Rox PG, until someone beats him out. He would also be the best 2 guard if he had to be. Ignore draft position this is about meritocracy. KPJ is one of our best players.

DD

Plowman likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Absolute no to KPJ as the starting 3. What a **** defense we would have. Ideally we get a big in the draft and sign a vet pg (Harden). I have been a proponent of KPJ all year until his last pouting fit. Even with that, I’d give him a chance as 6th man getting starter minutes or even starting on back to backs if I wanted to rest Harden. If KPJ’s psyci can handle it, a 3 man rotation between Harden, Green, and KPJ would be great. KPJ should continue to be PG until we have a better option. I don’t want Scoot. If we keep our pick and it’s not Wemby I want Walker. Then you have a really sound defensive foundation and would be a playoff contender. Potentially we would have a rotation something like this:

Harden, KPJ, TyTy
    Green, KPJ, JC
    Jabari, Tari, Tate or KJM
    Walker, Jabari, Tari
    Sengun, Jabari, Walker

That’s with no trades. We could trade the the 23 pick if not Wemby for a package with players and Brooklyn picks for a player like Jaylen Brown or Bridges, then you have:

Harden, KPJ, Tyty
    Green, KPJ, Brown or Bridges
    Brown or Bridges, Tari
    Jabari, Tari, Garuba
    Sengun, Jabari, Garuba

That’s is a playoff team and possible contender in the West.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can’t talk about defense and then want Harden.

DD

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If defense is a concern, you'd bench Jalen, he's one of the worst defensive players in the league. You're just looking for an excuse to bench the best shooter and best guard/wing on the roster.

As I said, it's transparent.

NewAge likes this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The Celtics are NOT trading Jaylon Brown. Not anytime soon.

17. maj21

maj21 Member

Our defense has gotten a lot better since KPJ returned. He gets beat some plays, but who doesn’t? It’s so underrated how hard he plays on that end and the way he fights through screens

DaDakota, Plowman and NewAge like this.
  18. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Why not the 2?

19. NewAge

NewAge Member

Sure, but we’ve seen that type of superstar amaze, yet somehow always falling short. D.Rose, Russ, Stevie… not much team success.
    I was warm on Scoot, but the shooting is quite atrocious, and I am cooling off on him big time.

Conversely, I was a Wembayama skeptic, because of the anomalous body type, but recently I saw pics of young Kareem (Lew Alcindor, to be exact) and he looked exactly like Wemby looks now. Played in the league till his forties, without major issues…

maj21 likes this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Smart and KPJ are two different type of players, they play different roles for their perspective teams. As I stated, Smart is similar to a Deshaun Tate, Shane Battier type and KPJ is more of a scoring PG.

It's obvious you are a SOF by this comment, " Smart being perfect for getting the ball to Sengun" And this is why our analogies are different.

I'm a ROF (ROCKET'S ONLY FAN), so I'm looking at what's best for the TEAM, not just one player. While Sengun is a good player, I do not think he can carry the team nor produce the same scoring as KPJ, nor can Marcus Smart. And since the ultimate objective of the game is to OUT SCORE your opponent.....I think KPJ's 18/5/6 is e actly what the Rockets need.