1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Kevin Porter Jr.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No, my interpretation is that he didn't necessarily address himself getting a new role. He was talking about team changes in general, and not about himself in particular.

But it really depends on what the question was that he answered. That's why I said we're just guessing at his meaning until we hear that.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ok.

3. i3artow i3aller

4. kubli9

kubli9 Member
    Supporting Member

It's great for KPJ to have the responsibility of PG removed from him so that he can focus on being the 6th man/spark plug off the bench that's always been his natural role. I'm happy for him to fire away and hope he embraces his new role.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Ime a Green OF and KPJ hater confirmed.

6. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Must reply. We all gotta hear this.

What logic are you spinning in that dome to question Udoka based on his playing career when he already took multiple guys better than him that were underachieving on a bottom tier team in the east, then took them to the best record in the league come playoffs.

Again.... What logic?

7. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Showing up at Udoka's conference. Saying the right things with the press. Sounds all good. The proof is in the pudding. He knows his contract is not guaranteed beyond this year. How else would you act in that position? Maybe he will flip the script. Hoped for it last summer. We'll see.

8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

He simply needs to show it on the court, not pout, not quit plays etc. It really means nothing unless it translates to the court. Last year it didn't. Hopefully this year it will.

fattz likes this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

As if he didn't earn a fair share of criticism?

We'll praise and blame based off of performance I'm assuming...

anthony59237 likes this.
  10. J Rock

J Rock Member

I think he can flourish if he embraces the 6th man role. With him leading the bench squad we should see a lot less stagnation on offense. He can be our bargain basement Manu.

jch1911 likes this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Idk why the kpj stans like spinning narratives about how folks viewed kpj.

He sht at pg and he will excel as the sixth man. Like nothing has really changed

anthony59237 likes this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LMAOOOO

"as long as he isnt the point guard he's great"

I love ClutchFans - its where logic goes to die.

maj21 likes this.
  13. MystikArkitect

Oddly enough I don't mind KPj coming in and pretending to be Josh Christopher. If you get the ball, try to put it in the basket. Issue was that he was trying to be James Harden. Which he sucked at.

Ancient Moabite and OremLK like this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

What I want to see from KPJ:
    1. Very high effort on defense. Take all that energy he was putting into dribbling and put it right into the defensive end. He doesn't seem to have great instincts, so I don't expect he'll ever be a stopper, but I want to see at least league-average defense from him. There's no reason he can't manage that if he buys in and plays hard.
    2. No more dribbling around on the perimeter. When he gets the ball, he should pass, shoot, or drive immediately. He isn't James Harden and he should stop pretending like he is.
    3. Shut up and do his job. Try hard in practice, listen to the coaches, don't complain, don't throw soup at people, don't walk out at halftime. He's getting paid truckloads of money and is in line for a whole lot more if he can keep his head on straight. Just go out there and get it, even if that means playing 10 fewer minutes per game.

15. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yes, exactly! A good coach would wait at least until training camp to get a feel of the team and the players before settling on lineups. I know CF beehive is bored in the offseason, but let's wait before anointing Jalen the starter and KPJ the sixth man.

I do understand the glaring absence of any bromance footage of KPJ/FVV doing Jumping Jacks and wind-sprints, but nevertheless, I think the two have a lot of potential to play together in the game of basketball. Both are excellent C&S shooters and both can create for each other. If Udoka is his own man and is not influenced by politics or bromance off-season videos he should explore various options before settling on a starting lineup.

I actually think that Whitmore has an outside chance as well at starting SG. He's very young, but is physically developed and has that aggressive vibe about him. Reminds me of guys like Shawn Kemp and Amare who came-in very young but physically strong and aggressive and started raping people right away. If he has a shot it has to be managed in a structured offense: he's a great cutter and the likes of Sengun and FVV could find him for dunks, or engineer mismatches for him to finish. Obviously it won't work the Silas/Jalen Green way, "get the ball and figure out something" that was such garbage. But in a well structured offense where Whitmore is the spear of the attack, he has a shot.

16. maj21

maj21 Member

Whitmore has no chance to start at SG. He’s a 3 and won’t start for a while

Ancient Moabite and Aruba77 like this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

I’m excited about what KPJ can do in a structured environment, with a coach who understands how to maximize his strengths, and demands accountability. Everything is up to him.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

lol sure buddy, already preemptively getting your argument ready for when KPJ gets demoted to a bench role because the players are better.

You simply can't accept what many Rockets fans, and now the Rockets front office, thinks about KPJ. All the moves that the Rockets made this offseason indicate that they agree with what I and many other posters on this site have been saying. He is a 6th man at best. He sucked at PG the last two seasons, and any winning team will have him play limited minutes.

anthony59237 likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's already come out and said that Dillon Brooks is going to be starting no matter what, same for VanVleet, there was never going to be any competitions for roles and minutes, it was always a lie.

I mean, I don't personally care, in some ways I think it's hilarious that he's sabotaging the team with Brooks.