1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Kevin Porter Jr.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 18, 2023.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Been saying this for a long time. No contending team will have KPJ be a starter. His game and BBIQ is not good enough. He is at best a 6th man type. Us trying to develop him into being a starter is a waste of time.

OremLK, rpr52121 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. omgTHEpotential

Poor man's JR Smith.

Entropy, rpr52121 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I haven't seen much of Tyty yet, but if people think KPJ is selfish they'd go crazy if Christopher were in his place.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

but how much of that is a young player trying to show how much he can do in limited minutes vs another being given lots of minutes despite constantly screwing up?

5. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ stans finally gonna stfu about this guy?

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I saw Christopher play in last year's summer league where minutes and shots were not scarce. The answer is not the former.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

DD often stands for Doubling Down

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’d add that KPJ is a bit slow.

His 22 is probably JG/Jabari/Alperen’s 16 maturity wise. Guy has had a hard life and is still learning on and off the court. A lot of bad habits to kill.

Always hopeful that he succeeds here. What a story that would be.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought it stood for the thing we all love, a pair of big ole country tiddies… It unites us Houston brethren! Even the ladies gotta shout!

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Really isn't anything wrong with being a 6th man by the way. Manu is in the HoF and spent the majority of his career coming off the bench.

KPJ is exactly the right archetype to spark things off the bench and if he can keep his head on straight he can have a long, productive, and lucrative career in the NBA.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nice bounce back so far....11 pts 4-6 shooting and 4 dimes with ZERO turnovers.

DD

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

From watching every game this season except like 2 the way they calculate double teams seems fishy.

Sengun and Green definitely from mere eye test get doubled more.

My sneaking suspicion is the fact that teams incorporate a lot of zone defense on us because of poor shooting means KPJ as the pg of the team walks into halfcourt sets with two defensive guards/wings assigned at the top of the zone slotting in on both sides of KPJ as he walks the ball up counting as a 'double".

Anyone who religiously watches Rocket games believe KPJ lead this team in double teams? Sincerely curious.

My hypothesis seems to be even more accurate when you see players like FVF on this list who fits the same mold of a mid pg on a team with bad shooting where teams incorporate zone defense against them a lot.

Dankstronaut and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

From the looks of their chart, I'm sure their analysis is based upon more than an eye test. However, I watch a lot of Rockets games as well and I know KPJ does get doubled a lot, as well as Sengun in the post.

People tend to discount a lot of what KPJ does, because of his prior outburst but I still contest he's the most important player on the team. I think Sengun and Green ceilings are higher but for what KPJ does is invaluable

#294 hlmbasketball, Jun 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
    allanivan and DaDakota like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can say it all you want, and still be wrong, he would be starting on tons of teams because his skillset translates on almost every level.

There are tons of Rocket's that might not be starting on other team's but KPJ is not him......he was told to beat the other team BY HIMSELF and basically did.....at least often enough to recognize his talent.

Now, put him in a system with a quality coach and watch him take off......hopefully you guys aren't so dug in that you can't admit you were wrong....cause that day is coming.

DD

hlmbasketball and Plowman like this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm not referring to outbursts. His off court issues have been severely overplayed. He seems to be mentally in a good place now and has settled down. That ist the least of my criticisms of KPJ at this point. I don't see him as a some locker room cancer. In fact his attitude over the past few months shows a mature young adult in my opinion.

I'm just referring to what I see on the court.

hlmbasketball and cml750 like this.
  17. marinara

marinara Member

“ ah ****, here we go again “

18. cml750

cml750 Member

He is definitely acting much more mature over the last few months. Hopefully he will be on board for whatever Ime has in store for him because I seriously doubt he will be the Head Honcho with Udoka coaching the team. A mature KPJ buying into whatever Ime has in store for the team would be a good thing.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. marinara

marinara Member

Anyone who wants KPJ to be traded is a “ hater
    “ plain and simple

allanivan likes this.
  20. marinara

marinara Member

KPJ has done the most on this team in terms of an NBA player. Jalen is a bigger star off the court but that is it FOR NOW. If you bring this point up however you will be told you are either a hater, racist in term Phillipines, or you will be told you have an agenda with Feminine men.