1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Kenyon Martin Jr.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 4, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Obviously not everyone at the same time! But if they all know who "the cutter" is all the time, it becomes easier to defend. There is really no reason for Green and KPJ to not do it more.

Also, KMJ doesn't "suck at shooting" that much more than most of the other guys...his 3-point % is higher than that of Jabari, Nix, Josh Christopher, Tate...

The only one that is much better than everyone else is...Destiny :cool:.

And don't look now, but of those with some volume of shots, Tari is actually our best 3-point shooter. People would not have predicted that at the start of the season...it's like Tari is doing what Jabari was supposed to do...

upload_2023-3-5_18-50-29.png

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It's definitely less of an issue now that Gordon isn't sucking 30 minutes out of the rotation but I would definitely like to see Garuba playing backup 4 minutes. Martin, Tate, Eason, Smith, Garuba have a claim for 96 minutes of forward play. That's a logjam to me. Not much of one but you want someone to develop, gotta give them the playing time.

3. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

You said this and then posted about 3p% like they aren't the ones providing this team's spacing or like they aren't generally the player feeding Sengun in the post.
    Yes he does. His 3 and FT numbers are not good and it doesn't make a lick of difference what anyone else does in this vacuum. Kenyon Martin Jr. is a low volume shooter with poor numbers. That's a bad shooter broseph. Martin seems to be missing the energy a lot of posters have had about other players 3p%, weak dunk contest appearance, demanding trade, etc. I'm not sure why that is but as far as low volume shooters go, it's not a big deal if you can contribute something else. Defense most importantly, playmaking, hustle, boards... what else is KJ Martin contributing?

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'm not sure I understand what point that last post is trying to make.

5. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

KJ Martin sucks and doesn't catch hell for it like everyone else does.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So why did you first try to make this a fake-objective "player assessment" post, why all the effort, when that was really what you wanted to get off your chest?

7. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I posted his stats and a website that shows him at the bottom of their defensive estimations. How is that not objective?

I even headlined my opinion, I did so thoughtfully.

You asked for a summary of a more eloquently written opinion. So I summarized it just for you.

You think you've found some chink in the armor of my opinion, which I think I've arrived at in a very logical manner?

Kenyon Martin Jr. sucks at shooting and defense. Live with the facts. I don't really care if you don't agree with my opinion but how is it you don't agree with the facts?

I've said my peace. If you want more out of me then answer the question- what else does he do?

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I agree that he is not a great defender. Nobody on the Rockets is, except for Garuba and Tari Eason being decent.

His 3-point % is middle of the pack for Rockets players, where everyone except for Usman DESTINY Garuba shoots below the league average. He makes up for it with exciting dunks, which results in his FG % actually being pretty good.