1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 10, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I see what you are saying, but what I am saying is that the premise of "you have to totally build around him and is it even worth it" is wrong and overblown. Every player has some weaknesses, and a good coaching staff builds around their best players.

Sengun is EASY to build around, because he is smart.

slothy420, hakeem94, cml750 and 2 others like this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm...urce=bbr&utm_medium=sr_xsite&utm_id=sengual01

Shoots less free throws, makes less % free throws. Cherry pick the career stat if you like, his free throw rate this year is about as close to Jokic as the %. Even if Sengun started getting a super star whistle it would be less impactful because he is well below league average from the line https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/nba-league-average-free-throw-percentage-2023

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Debatable. Sengun isn't at the stage of his career where he can carry the team on his back. Im sure he is able to b part of the offensive system, but for him to b built around he has to also score enough to warrant it. I just don't see sengun averaging 20-30 ppg while lacking range. Him relying on his teammates to shoot better is not a recipe for success. The defense weakness isn't even address yet.

I would say sengun is easy to utilize and is a very good team player b/c he is smart. If u look at all the franchise players, they can all score and carry the team, are u confident to say that sengun right now is able to go pound for pound in scoring without being able to shoot 3s consistently?

AlperenSengun and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

If there is anything I would actually criticize Sengun for, then that he defers TOO MUCH. Stop being nice. Impose your will, you have the skills. In the last 16 games, he should just go nuts in one game and score 40+, just to show he can do it (I know he can). KPJ did that once. Puts everyone on notice.

Of course, Silas will try to prevent it.

slothy420, hakeem94, cml750 and 4 others like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. 34to11

34to11 Member

Wait, I thought you said it was my fault!

[​IMG]

hakeem94 and Dankstronaut like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Silas will try to prevent Alpi getting a 40+ game because he not only has had his mind made up, but he has been spouting certain narratives, and he doesn't want Alpi to prove him wrong.

No worries though, Alpi will do it once Silas and his gang of bootlickers are gone.

slothy420, cml750 and eurobasket23 like this.
  8. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

The reason why people continue to defend sengun no matter what is some haters and short sighted idiots(they are pretty much identical) never stop bs about sengun.

6'9 lie, fatigue, foul trouble, professionalism, lob threat and any other biased undeserved criticism gave clueless Silas the ground to put the blame of his inability to alpi and take his minutes away for the last 2 years. Daniel theiss and Bruno Fernando were starting in this team and as if it was not enough for a good laugh, most people normalized that Idiocracy on this board.

I agree on the takes that he needs to improve his defensive fundamentals, quickness and strength. He also needs to add jump shots to his arsenal and be more consistent and stay in the game but hey, the guy is 20 years old and most of these things take time for a big. Also we know how incompetent the coaching stuff is and things are not clicking in this team by any means.

The thing that annoys me most of the criticism on this guy is far from constructive and even random people's opinions in internet is being used as an excuse to hate. Don't do my boy like that. Have some sympathy for the kid.

cryout75, slothy420, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  9. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

If anyone starts a post declaring Alp's height as 6'9", I can't take him/her seriously. It is either a Freudian slip or mentality problem.

Alp is the best player in the current squad but might end up as second only to Tari Eason. Anyone not praising Alp and Tari is not worth to discuss basketball.

eurobasket23 likes this.
  10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Remember, Sengun is special player who plays dual roles as Center-/Point Guard. A player who needs many touches of the Ball.
    If we are lucky enough to get the first pick Nembayama and Harden comes back to the Rockets to play starting Point Guard, we will
    have two superior ball handlers. Sengull would need be a back up player or be traded. Unfortunately it might happen ! Y

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Wembanyana is not a primary ball handler.

The player that needs to go is KPJ.

And Nix.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Ummm... he's listed at 6'9" all over the place for draft reports. You want to believe the NBA's high heel policy of adding 2" to everyone's height go for it. I don't have to do that though and I'm perfectly justified in not doing so. Besides, in socks or shoes it won't matter he's going to be an inch or two shorter than most centers. Not only that but his game isn't overwhelming stature or explosive athleticism and that's okay. But I'm not going to start up a player assessment thread and say he's 7'1", shoots 57% from 3, won the DPOY halfway through the season while doing between the leg dunks from the free throw line.

I praised him for what he's good at. I fairly criticized his weakness. If you can't handle objectivity you are the one not worthy of joining this discussion.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

good word, many related applications :cool:

14. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

I find it absolutely hilarious the fanboys have somehow tricked everyone into accepting he is a “point guard”. Sengun averages 2.5 turnovers to 3.8 assists. That is worse than ****ing Nix

DaDakota and Dankstronaut like this.
  15. eurobasket23

eurobasket23 Member

trade or no trade sengun is a+ grade :DDDD

16. eurobasket23

eurobasket23 Member

so you are nof :DDDd dumb

17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Sengun is a up and coming Star Player. He is a 20 and 10 guy and Silas is hurting his development. If we draft Wemby, then Wemby would be our Power Forward he is too thin to be a Center. If we draft Henderson, Sengun would be our secondary point guard. Every team would love to have a Center who is a playmaker. He has elite skills: elite passing, elite footwork, a high basketball IQ and only 20 years old. If Silas would let Sengun play over 30 minutes a game we would develop more. Honestly, the only reason why the NBA knows about his talent because KPJ was hurt and Silas had to play him. Silas sucks!

Ankara1923 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

There is no need to trade Sengun. We have a building block of Sengun and Green…maybe Jabari. We have over 60 million dollars in cap space I would give Van Vleet….34 million dollars a year. In the draft, we pick Wemby or Brandon Miller and the rest of the cap we use it on Cam Johnson. Oh I forgot FIRE SILAS and hire Ime Udoka…we are ready for the playoffs

PG. Van Vleet
    SG. Green
    SF. Cam Johnson and Brandon Miller
    PF. Jabari
    C. Sengun

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

giphy.gif

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Post of the year candidate right here