1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yet our beloved Mathloom is talking like there is no tomorrow and telling us we are making him anxious to talk.

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

lol check this out I got a [Poster Assessment]

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah this is definitely a problem. The chances of getting a response from someone who is interested in engaging honestly and having a good discussion is lower than it's ever been. The chance of being mocked and/or insulted is near 100%. Tanking does some horrible things to fanbases.

Mathloom, HardenReturns and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Nah, but that's cute. You articulated and conveyed a precise premise for your post - "Player Assessment."

I graded the "post" - on this premise - not the "poster." Details matter.

Your attempt at making light of my post 4/10
    Your attempt at humor 2/10
    Your willfull disregard of details sacrificed for the sake of a woefully subpar one-liner 10/10

#265 dream2clips, Mar 22, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    AroundTheWorld and HardenReturns like this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

If you came here for something more than woefully subpar one-liners that's your own fault.

HardenReturns likes this.
  7. maj21

maj21 Member

We all know he can score close to the basket, but the dude still let teams run a layup line on him. We need a center really bad

DaDakota and ThatBoyNick like this.
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think Sengun need to retune his free throw routine. He does this thing where he spins the ball in his hand for far too long and then does these small pumps. Typically you want one motion between when the ball pauses and where it's released. Yao used to always pause it at his face and then shooting it.

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

He was good at the beginning of the season for a long time. I don't think it is the routine. Probably working on shooting in different ways or practicing from different distances that will put him off until he gets it. I don't think rockets have a good shooting coach and sengun definitely needs one.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Couple of things:
    • I want him to practice free throws
    • I want him to stop complaining to the refs so much. It doesn't help. Keep playing.

11. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

If Sengun was a spur, pops will make a star out of him in no time. He’s basically left to figure it out on his own here and I hope we don’t trade him until we see his full potential.

HardenReturns and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

LMAO, well played. Now THIS post is approaching 8.5 or 9/10 territory.

And, I come here b/c I've been coming here for almost 25 years. It's what I know. It's not the same as making out to Richmond on a certain 2 nights in June of '94 and June of '95 but my heart will always be here my man. Even when I don't login or post for 4 years lol.

Dankstronaut and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Oh come on dude, we are making a star out of him in no time. It's season 2 age 20 and all the fans know him, top players, coaches have spoken about him. You can't stop a star being a star, you can just slow it down or speed it up something like 10%.

Next season Sengun is going to legit win his position most nights, we're going to win 30+ games, analysts will call him a star in the making. Don't worry too much. Being allowed to have a chance at winning is a big difference maker, and winning cures all.

Pop could've drafted Sengun at #12 but he went with Primo (saw no red flags). We drafted a 19 year old at #16, made him a starter halfway through his first season and in his second season made him the full starter. By the middle of his second season, we were primarily running the offense through a 20 yr old C.

Don't forget the big picture guys. The real problem we have is no defensive anchor and a severe shortage of playmaking. These situations were allowed to persist by the FO because it takes the legs out from under a team, it's the two fulcrums of the team on both sides of the court. All of these other issues we're seeing stem from these two fulcrums being absent. The two most important chess pieces in an NBA game. Like playing chess without your queen and rooks and keep complaining about the way you're losing to a pro. It's a mess. The tank was brutal.

We're going to be very happy with Sengun's year 3, it's a key growth year for big men and we will have dramatically upgraded the roster around him. Have faith.

#273 Mathloom, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  14. invocux

invocux Member

He's averaging 29 mins which is more than Jokic's sophomore season. He was being used as point center a month ago. I don't believe that Rockets are the worst franchise for him to be in. Obviously having a re*ard of a head coach doesn't really help anyone but he has improved so far regardless. He can hit hook shots now. Improved his footwork massively. He's missing 3's and doesn't have middy in his bag yet which is normal since he's only 20. It'll come. Vucevic wasn't even attempting till he was 26 then became a reliable 3pt shooter. He's doing fine he just needs to get thicker this summer and keeps working on his 3pt shot.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he needs to get that left-hand thumb out of there too. It is okay for free throws, and he has great touch around the rim, but when you back up to three-point range that left thumb becomes an unstable launch pad. Your free-throw observation is on point because I think some of these movements are messing with his deep balls too. Just shoot it, son!

In general, I am not terribly pleased with Sengun lately. He can be much, much better. He has a little bit of that Bambi look that we have seen so much from Jabari this year. I want to see the young guys confident and aggressive.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It's pretty cool that he's had multiple triple doubles and it still feels like we haven't seen his ceiling.

17. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I wasn't at those parties but there is a picture somewhere in the ether of me high-fiving Murph at one of the parades. I'mma have to ask my mom if she still has it one of these days!

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sengun is good at what he came into the league good at, and he is still poor at what he needs to work on, primarily defensive rotations and a midrange and 3 pt game.

Last night, even though he was pretty good, in the last three minutes of a close game he missed 2 of 4 free throws, got called for offensive fouls twice and missed 2 defensive rotations, it really hurt, all of those were mental mistakes that he tends to make, he needs work.
    I hope he stays in Houston and works on his game and body.

DD

harold bingo and maj21 like this.
  19. maj21

maj21 Member

Pop wouldn’t put up with that **** defense

20. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

the only people identify their agendas pretty obviously. long time Rockets' fans have lots of experience spotting 'em ... no need to exhaust yourself.

heypartner likes this.