1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Plaxico Burress wants Houston!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Matt_Maloney, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

i'm sure plax would love to latch on to top contending teams. it's the typical "i want another ring" mentality. he should be thankful if a place like seattle or cincinatti signs him.

beggars can't be choosers.

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

So you're OK with Walters? Plax is an improvement over KW , if nothing else.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Walter? Yes. You know who else is OK with Walter? Gary Kubiak, who has made no effort to replace him since bringing him here 6 years ago.

As stated again and again and again - this is not a traditionally-structured offense. Your idea of a #2 WR (John Taylor, Alvin Harper, Julio Jones) doesn't fit here, where the "#2WR" is far more often Foster or Daniels.

When healthy, Walter is a perfectly acceptable WR, if not good WR. He totaled 229 recpetions in a 4-year stretch with us and played long stretches last year a) without AJ; b) without Schaub; c) hurt. He's become a convenient whipping boy, for whatever reason - but the vast majority of Texan fans greatly underrate him. This has routinely been a top 5 offense with him starting. There's absolutely no pressing need to upgrade him, and I'd argue Burress isn't much of one at this point anyway.

How is Walter holding this offense back? How does Burress improve it? I don't think you can answer either one.

1 person likes this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

there is nothing wrong with walter expect for the fact that he is getting old. plax doesn't solve that so no thanks.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Plax was the #2 option for Sanchez last year. He had six more catches and five more TD's than KW. KW is the #4 or #5 option tops in the Texans' offense.

That 'improvement' would be negligible at best.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This argument/thread is totally rhetorical.

With the emergence of Holliday on special teams along with the play of our new crop of young receivers, there really isn't a reason to bring anyone else in - much less Plaxico freakin' Burress...

We just don't have room for him.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

How is Walter moving forward?

In the red zone. You try defending AJ/Burress/Daniels/Foster simultaneously. :eek:

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Because Mark Sanchez is good? :confused:

5 TDs is a lot.

Walter is #4/5 option because he isn't that good. He's an okay player, but underwhelming as an offensive weapon.

9. xktf

xktf Member

right

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

My points really whittle down to saying no one has to like a guy, but I'm seeing maybe needless lessening of credentials to make him a career bum, and my opinion is he wasnt. Its why he was brought back after years in jail in the first place. Thats really all I'm talking about here.

I dont think he offers great insurance for Andre Johnson either. Just they brought in Bryant Johnson for a reason, as the token veteran. Why not think to go with SOME veteran upside there. Roy Williams was expectedly mediocre, Ochocinco is done, sexy names but not answers. Plaxico at least put up 8 TDs. (It was actually Derrick Mason that was the washed up guy in NY, and Mason and Holmes both were more the headaches, go figure)

Yeah he's a delinquent jail bird. With four 1,000 yard seasons, and 8th in active career TD receptions. His underachieving was as good as Walter's best years. And I think his past year was decently productive considering all the context. Its too bad Al Davis passed away, or you know he'd be in Raiders camp :p

BTW, before thread post #57 when you posted your rebuttal of Plaxico, I counted 6 posts before that in favor of Plaxico for insurace or a #2. 4 of them for injury insurance, 2 saying he'd be a #2 over Walter. Most posts were the "sure why not" or "red zone target" variety.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I don't want to be a repetitive "DD" or "tinman in T-Mac forum" :p

Plaxico said the right words about wanting to be in Houston weeks ago. We did NOT KNOW how at the time HOW the young guys would play. We can''t lie and say we knew for sure they'd do well.

But now that we know they'll POSSIBLY be alright, bye Plax never knew ya anyway.

This is like gauging if Rip Hamilton would be a good pickup when you already got K evin Martin with Jeremy Lamb in the wings. Yeah maybe he'd be better than Carlos Delfino, but maybe not needed in the approach anyway.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

WE didn't, but the coaches/front office did. They may have just a little more insight that us internet dorks. Maybe that's why they were never interested in Burress.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Veteran's minimum for a legit redzone target is fine by me.

The battlefight is not strong with him, though.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This. I wish we could spend time talking about Texans related topics that are relevant and based in reality.

If this is the topic of convo, why not talk about trading for MOJO!!! He's unhappy in Jax and could you imagine tryin to stop AJ, Foster, Tate, AND MOJO in the redzone?!!111

:rolleyes:

15. Hey Now!

And none of us would have, either - coaches included - if we gave away their reps to every has-been free agent the internet gets up in arms about the team absolutelyhastosignthemOMG!!!

I'd rather invest my resources in young WRs with potential than spend a penny on guys like Plaxico Burress, Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, etc.

16. Hey Now!

If Walter were a street free agent, I'd never advocate bringing him in. But he's here and has never held this team back.

Schaub, Foster and Johnson played roughly a single quarter together last year. And the Texans still outscored Plaxico and the Jets. If those three are healthy, this team is not going to have any trouble scoring.

The constant "we need to upgrade our #2 WR" and "our red zone offense needs an upgrade" hand-wringing are both dead-end narratives. Neither is true - the Texans will win and win a lot with our current roster.

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

We need to work out Plax. It wouldn't hurt to have a receiver like Burress.

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Apparently it would hurt because no team in the NFL has signed him.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Exactly. Something is keeping all 31 other teams from looking at him. And why have him here blocking the development of Jean? It's not as if the passing game suffered last Sunday. Between Johnson, Daniels, Jean, Foster, and yes even Walter, I think the passing attack is just fine.