1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Plaxico Burress wants Houston!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Matt_Maloney, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

45 catches in 3 seasons, as though there's no circumstance behind it?
    Burress was 3 years older than Andre until 2 days ago, now he's 4. (I know 5 is just a rounded number but still)

What does over the hill matter when your under-the-hill or top of the hill guys arent any good? Whats Bryant Johns0n bringing to the table?

Santonio Holmes last year with the Jets: 51 recs 654 yds 8 TDs. Are we saying that Santonio Holmes is just a "little" better than Kevin Walter with those numbers?

If 2 Super Bowl winning WRs on a team with total 16 TDS within 96 catches can't make the team better, maybe it speaks more about the overall team. When the team gets that out of Joel Dreesen and Owen Daniels, people gush about how they're producing within the special sytem, and they havent won zilch.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Oh, how missed you, ever-moving, "Yeah, but...." target.........

How many playoff teams do you think they normally play? 16? This year, based on last year's standings, it's five. That 11 weeks against non-playoff teams. If he misses 9 games again this year, it'll translate to roughly 2-3 games against playoff teams, same # as last year. So what's your point?...

The circumstance is *the point* - 45 catches over three years because he was sort of, kind of, you know... *in jail.*

So your concern is our 4th WR? A guy who last year totaled the same # of receptions as Matt Leinart?

And I continue to ask: when have our under-the-hill or top of the hill guys negatively impacted our passing game? Prior to last year, when we lost QB1 and/or WR1 for long stretches, we were routinely a top 5 passing offense.

What does Santonio Holmes have to do with this discussion? Is he available? And Plaxico Burress won a SB five years ago - how is that relevant? Should we sign Amani Toomer?

Again: they've routinely been a top 5 passing team since 2008. Or top 10, at least - I can't remember - so where is this panic coming from? They scored buckets of points last year without Andre Johnson (and prior to Schaub getting hurt).

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Bring him in for a tryout, can't hurt.

4. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

The name of the game is to score points. Who cares about moving the ball up and down the field , but can't get the ball in the endzone (Plax).

The best finish was in 2010 and that was 9th best in the league. Which is pretty good ,but not great.

5. Hey Now!

The Texans outscored Plax and the Jets 381-377 last year with Schaub, Foster and Johnson all missing significant time and a third-string QB starting 5 games. So please - let's agree to end this false-start narrative that Plaxico Burress is some TD-making machine who will have a Moss '08-like impact on whatever team signs him.

They were 10th, 9th and 10th last year in scoring, although 5th with Schaub (27.5). Even incorporating the 6 non-Schaub starts.... again: they still outscored Plax and the Jets.

They've never had a good defense and certainly never had a sack-happy, turnover-making defense that shortens the field and makes it easier to score. We saw the impact such a defense can have when they increased their scoring significantly through the first 10 games last year (none of which featured Foster and Johnson on the field together save for roughly a lone quarter, BTW).

Passing-wise, since 2008 they've ranked 4th, 1st, 4th and then 18th last year, which, again - was injury-riddled.

I fail to see why there's so much panic and consternation over a consistently effective passing game that actually weathered the significant loss of it's top WR and QB1 for long stretches. If they sign a WR - even if he steps in and replaces KW - he's the team's 3rd, more likely 4th option on most plays - why is our 3rd/4th option worth this much energy? It's akin to arguing over the 53rd roster spot - in fact, it kind of almost is, given we're talking about, right now, the 4th WR slot behind AJ, KW and KM.

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I have seen Plax make some good catches. Sure he is not at the level of Andre, but he brings experience and a good 3rd option.

It wouldn't hurt to try him out and let the coaches see if there is anything.

For some of you to be so narrow-minded thinking that we shouldn't risk changing anything is why we find ourselves in a desparate situation when one of our main guys go down. When Andre is out, this is not the same offense. Unfortunately, in recent years, Andre has been prone to injury. If we do not develope from with using our experienced players, what chance does a rookie have? It is extremely rare for someone to play at a #1 receivers level fresh out of college.

7. Hey Now!

He's truly one of a kind; it's so *rare* for NFL WRs to make some good catches.

If Andre Johnson is hurt again, Plaxico Burress doesn't cushion that blow in any way. He is not a #1 WR anymore.

The Texans averaged 27.6 points/game last year in the six they played without Andre (and before Schaub went down). They scored 30+ three times and 20 or more in five of the six. Heck, if you expand it to include the two games he missed in 2010 - so 8 total, half a season: they've scored 27.8 points/game, including 30+ four times and 20 or more in seven of eight.

I'm begging everyone to please, please, please stop perpetuating this idea that it's still 2008 and the offense revolves around Andre Johnson.

8. ubigred

Bold = who is saying that?

__ = You can move the ball over the field , but you can not get into the endzone. (fyi: there is nothing great about finishing 9th/10th )

The fact of the matter is this : Plax, straight out of months in jail came into the NFL and caught 8TDs while catching balls from Mark Sanchez.

Andre Johnson is not 25 and injury free.

Kevin Walter is Kevin Walter............

Plax can be had for cheap.

We don't care about winning games. We want to win a Super Bowl. He definitely can help FOR CHEAP.

Italics = I guess you didn't bring cheese to the Boston tea party? :grin:

#68 ubigred, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  9. Hey Now!

People who say things like this: "The name of the game is to score points. Who cares about moving the ball up and down the field , but can't get the ball in the endzone (Plax)."

The Jets' scoring output increased by a whopping .63/game with the addition of Plax. And it still trailed the Texans.

They were 5th last year before Schaub got hurt, and it's not a coincidence they fielded their best defense in franchise history. When you can sack the opposing QB, force turnovers and shift field position... your offense is in much better position to score. When you have to constantly travel 80+ yards to score.... well, that's a seemingly plausible explanation for the differential in points and yards, isn't it?

Scoring is not *that* big an issue for the Texans. Again, even with a third-string QB starting five games, the Texans outscored Plax and the Jets. It's staying healthy, and right now - knock on a giant piece of solid wood: they're healthy.

Are you suggesting that as currently constructed, they can't win a Super Bowl? Because that's going to come as a shocker to those of us who watched them battle Baltimore to the gun last year with a third-string QB after previously playing 9 games without Andre Johnson.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. Shroopy2

Delete

#71 Shroopy2, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  12. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

If the price is right, I think Plax would be a good addition.

You can pull all the statistics you want, but I have seen this team struggle in the red zone when it really mattered and Andre is injury prone. Having a veteran with good hands is better than having a rookie with unknown hands.

Hey Now!,

You can keep on and on and on about your debate, but you cannot deny that Plax is a good player with valuable experience.

13. Shroopy2

You said Plaxico's stats and Kevin Walter's stats were just about the same.

I added that Holmes stats to show that Plaxico's stats was the same as Holmes's. Which means BOTH of their numbers are decreased cuz of the situation they played in.

Holmes is a GOOD receiver, better than Walter. If Plaxico in 3 less starts is performing to the level of their #1, it makes Plaxico look less pedestrian, and gives him the same "offensive framework" considerations that Kevin Walter gets.

The Texan's production in 2008 counts.

Plaxico's Super Bowl in the calendar year 2008 doesnt?

14. ubigred

I'm still trying to figure out when anybody said Plax will be TD machine like Moss was in 2008.:confused:

15. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

i actually think the prison time made his body stay fresh

its like ricky, less wear and tear from that time off smoking weed and yogaing

16. Toast

Toast Member

If he came on the cheap, I'd sign him.

17. Shroopy2

That is something thats usually a discreditor to someone :)
    Its the same approach as the RB3 like Texans bringing in Justin Forsett, a quality level NFL player. Or the same kind of buy-low Mark Anderson, Jason Allen signings. If you can put an upgrade in the lower depth position, why not.

I'm not amongst those "crying". FWIW, I see Plaxico as that (over) coveted "red zone target". NOT as a full-time target, cuz for his size his hands arent the most reliable.The big number is the TD grabs. Some teams bring in some battering ram butterball goal-line RB with a nose for the endzone. Same approach with the WR. Its not clamouring to bring in Mike Wallace for $500 jillion dollars the Texans don't even have.

Lets NOT kid ourselves here - if Kevin Walter got 8 TD grabs within his production, he'd get (deserving) praise for that. You can say that the TEAM TDs would get still get schemed over to someone else within the system anyway. But if Andre Johnson is discredited for not punching it in the endzone enough, a guy that DOES punch it in the endzone should GET credit. I don't think the Texans like to throw out to the perimeter to get scores, but then when you have a Rob Gronkowski type mismatch out there maybe it'd be considered more.

18. Hey Now!

I did?

Wow.... Just, well.... wow.

Yes. Since systems - which can replace and upgrade personnel - don't age and regress collectively, there's value in exploring past performance as a means to predict future performance; the more past performance, the better. This offense has been among the best in football for four straight years. It also didn't commit a crime and go to jail and miss two seasons...... (Am I asleep right now?)

When dealing with an actual human, who does age and regress, heading back five years to try and prove current relevance is mostly a waste of everyone's time.

19. Hey Now!

Don't try and weasel out of this by drowning it in semantics. You're implication is quite clear: Plaxico Burress would increase the Texans' scoring. I've almost universally blown a hole in any and every different wrinkle and "yeah but" you can offer trying to support that opinion.

The vast majority of WRs simply don't have that kind of impact. Calvin Johnson does; beyond that, you'd have to head back to '08 and Randy Moss to find a WR who individually elevated a team significantly in terms of production and scoring output.

20. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Love to have him as a 4th WR over Bryant Johnson