1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Plaxico Burress wants Houston!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Matt_Maloney, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2011 TD receptions:

Plaxico Burress: 8
    Kevin Walter: 3
    Andre Johnson: 2

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

The assumption that the FO is a buncha morons for not signing Plax is perplexing. He's made it thus far without signing, so already 32 teams have passed on him. There's gotta be a reason, right?

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yee, let's trade Johnson for him.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

true, and Chad Johnson/Albert Haynesworth prove the Pats are not infallible

5. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I would too, just for his red zone skills alone.

Word is he's willing to take the veteran minimum, cut Bryan Johnson's no productive self, and sign Plax. Its not gonna happen though, so I'm not getting my hopes up... at all.

6. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Get it done Smithiak

8. drewd17

drewd17 Member

I don't understand why we haven't just given the guy a tryout. What do you have to lose considering what he is willing to be paid?!?!?!?!!?

Get your stuff together Smith!!! The guy can catch, match up problem, wants to come here (on the cheap), and can RUN BLOCK!!!!

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

My guess is Kubiak feels he doesn't need him so Smith is not pursuing.

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Calm down guys. He'd be the 4th WR/ 6th option at best. If it came down to needing a player of Plax's particular skill set, I'm confident enough in the FO that a) he'd be signed or b) they'd have gotten someone else.

I don't know what y'all think he'd do in Houston but in this offense he wouldn't get more than 2-4 looks a game max. Some weeks he probably wouldn't play at all (e.g. Bryant Johnson).

I legitimately wonder if he'd be content to carry the sh-t bucket on the bench. He's making a big huff about being able to contribute, but he wouldn't get 15-20 snaps a game. Furthermore he can't contribute on special teams.

He's kinda of like Trindon Holliday. He'd have one very narrow role (red zone offense) and that's it. He wouldn't do anything else but cheerlead and keep the bench warm.

11. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

All you said makes sense, but there is a key thing that is being overlooked. INJURIES!!!
    In case Andre Johnson went down, the Texans would not have anything left at wide receiver. At that point a guy like Plaxico could become very valuable easily the best of what is left of the receiving corps. Texans second best receiver is their Owen Daniels, and he is a TE. It is not a good idea to depend on your rookies to produce in case of injuries especially since the Texans are in win now mode and time is a luxury that they don't have. A veteran signing could go a long way ...

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Watching SC right now. Looks like the Pats are bringing him in for a workout.

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I really don't get the Texans, here we have a franchise where great players want to play, but we aren't sniffing them in. Peyton would of been a good catch, but the price Broncos paid, I understood financially for Texans. For Plaxico, his track record and him wanting to play here, we are just making other teams stronger, or other teams consistently good in Patriots. I do not think Andre will play 16 games, may not even get 3/4 of the season. There will be a time where the Texans have to cut ties with their HOF, if they do not prepare worst case scenario, they will fall hard.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Unfortunately since the Texans drafted Posey so high they will guarantee a spot to him on this roster even though he doesn't look like he'll contribute anything this season. That could be Plaxico's spot.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Granted it was only one preseason, but Martin and Jean looked good out there.

I'm confident that Martin will hit the ground running and impact the game right away.

16. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I like Plaxico.

God forbid Andre to have injury problems this year, but I think it would be smart to have another veteran on the team.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They scored 41, 24, 30 and 37 points in a four-game stretch without him last year. As long as Schaub and Foster are healthy (as they were for the aforementioned four-game stretch), they're much better-equipped to play without Andre Johnson.

People are making *way* too big a deal out of this. Not to mention: there is *no* replacing Andre Johnson. The drop-off from Johnson to Buress isn't any less than the drop-off to, well, last year - Jacoby Jones.

Street free agents are not going to make us forget about Andre Johnson.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Sniffing them in? Maybe that's their problem as I would suspect players would be weirded out by a team sniffing them in...

The Texans' roster is loaded with top 5 talent at quite a few positions. Which great players are we universally passing on?

Ah, OK... this is going to be one of those posts...

Plaxico's most recent track record:
    2009: in jail; did not play
    2010: in jail; did not play
    2011: mediocre-ish season with Jets which wasn't appreciably better than an average season from Kevin Walter.

Plaxico doesn't make teams better (note: the Jets were 8-8 last year; 11-5 the year before - just sayin'.....). And the Patriots are going to be good whether he signs and eventually sits on their bench or not.

Are you honestly suggesting Plaxico Burress, who's 5 years older than Andre Johnson and has totaled 45 catches the past three seasons should be a part of our eventual replacement of a (not) HoFer?

There is way too much hand-wringing over a total non-issue. Sure, looking ahead to the day AJ is gone should be in the mix of plans. But signing over the hill 35-year olds better not be part of the solution. This team is 5,000,000,000 times better off developing guys like Martin and Posey than wasting energy and resources on bums like Plaxico Burress.

19. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Who were those teams? How many of them made the playoffs?

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Missed 9 games last year.

(Result-how many points Houston scored)
    Oakland(L-20)
    **@Baltimore(L-14)
    @Tennessee(W-41)
    Jacksonville(W-24)
    Cleveland(W-30)
    @Tampa Bay(W-37)
    **@Cincinnati(W-20)
    Carolina(L-13)