1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Plasma TV: HD vs. SD signal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JJ, Nov 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JJ

JJ Member

Okay here is another question about Plasma TVs :cool:

I have had a 50' Panasonic HD Plasma for about a month now. I have it connected to Direct TV and of course the HD picture looks fantastic. No complaints. My question is, does anyone know how to fix the fuzziness that you get with standard definition channels? Is this fixable or is this just something that you have to live with, as a result of the station not transmitting in HD? It has not really bothered me in the past, but last night I was watching the Rocks vs Spurs game other LP games in SD and they looked fuzzy and out of focus. Is there any remedy to this problem with SD channels?

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I think the function is called SVM.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think that's the whole point about upgrading to HD. :cool:

4. hotballa

the problem is not every channel broadcasts in HD

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

There's not much you can do with a SD signal on a HDTV. From what I've read, some TVs handle it better than others, but in the end you're still stuck with a SD broadcast.

6. JJ

JJ Member

Understood, but my rear projection TV shows SD fine. I guess this is because it was made for SD channels only??

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

SD looks like crap on pretty much ever HDTV.

8. JJ

JJ Member

So it is generally accepted that the picture quality will be hazy as a result of the TV itself working through the SD signal?

9. hotballa

you can adjust that through the svm function. look it up in your manual.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

which brings up a good point. didn't they just pass a law that requires all stations to broadcast in HD. anyone know when does that go into effect?

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I think that only applies to your local stations, ABC NBC CBS and so on.

12. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I think the only rule is they have to broadcast in DIGITAL by 2009 or something. But I don't think they are required to go HD.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I was just kidding. I have the same problems w/ my HD TV but I also think that anything non-HD looks really bad after switching from a HD program.

Does anyone have Comcast HD service? I have it and I think it could be a little clearer, especially when watching sports and looking at the background. Is DirecTV HD completely clear?

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, and another thing. Just because a TV station is in HD, doesn't mean the programming is HD. Comcrap just added channels like USA-HD and TBS-HD and both show a lot of SD programs stretched to 16:9 mode.

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I was just thinking the same thing...I have a DLP and the HD pictures are amazing...The SD suck ass...

However, when I went to my parents house, I watched TV on their old CRT, the SD channels look decent...Not HD, but better than my SD pics on my DLP...Crazy...

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

It's just DIGITAL. That doesn't mean HD. ;)

Try an AMPLIFIED antenna, JJ. They're about $15 at Radio Schmucks or Worst Buy or Circuit Pity.

What you're experiencing is non-amplified TV signals through regular analog frequencies. You need to amplify that signal, and the plasma view will look better with the amplification. :eek:

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

same with me...i have a dlp the SD look washed out and all (unless i choose the menu feature and then the picture goes into a smaller window on the side) and then when i go home to my folks' place my dad has a older sony crt, same provider and all but the SD look a lot better.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

SD is usually going to look better on a CRT television.

It's rare that SD looks better on an HDTV. However, you can try to adjust your settings to get it to look as good as possible

19. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Not to crap on HD, but this is why I plan on waiting as long as possible to adopt HD technology: it's just not worth it to me to pay over $1000 to trade 700 clear TV channels for 10-20 really good looking ones and 680 crappy looking ones. The benefit just doesn't outweigh the sacrifice yet. :(

20. JJ

JJ Member

Good point, but for me it is all about watching sports in HD. You do definitely notice the difference. Direct TV (my provider) will have 100 HD channels by the end of this year, that sounds pretty good to me. I am forced to watch non-HD sports every so often.

Swoly-D: I will look into an amplified antenna, thanks!