1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Plans for Garcia and Delfino

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, Apr 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I like Garcia, but we'll have to decline his option then re-sign him

2. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

It sucks that Garcia will more than likely be gone. I've always liked his game.

Even when we made the HORRIBLE Trob trade, I was most excited for Garcia because I've followed him.

Even in my past posts, I mentioned that he would be great for this team, and he has sure proven that.

It would be nice to pick up his option if we could.

You can never have too many shooters that understand their role. He's lights out but understands his role AND he takes it upon himself to play defense. There aren't that many PURE shooters that will work extra hard on defense.

We better at least keep Delfino here.

As for the Dwight talk, I'd rather not at this point. He CAN be dominant, but I agree with Chuck. He doesn't know how to post up, and after 8 years in the league, he hasn't shown much of any growth. Most players with his reputation make a steady line of progress over the years. Dwight has remained stagnant, or in the case of this year, declined.

Of course he would benefit our team, but not at that price. I would rather have Omer in the middle with a scoring PF next to him. Give me a bruiser like ZBo (who can rebound) or find a way to get LaMarcus or DeMarcus Cousins.

I think we can get Dwight's production without paying for his ego and contract demands.

Hell, Omer is putting up better numbers than Roy Hibbert who got nearly MAX money.

Keep the majority of the core. Upgrade at the PG and PF spots and we're good.

This series would have been SO different if we had PatPat...Good Lord DM messed that up for us. TRob hasn't even been on the court.

As for Lin, love the guy, but seeing Westbrook and other guards absolutely dismantle him throughout the year is not something I look forward to.

3. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

RESIGN!!! These guys compete on both sides of the court..Not all of our starters work both sides of the court..

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

People are always so quick to say that role players like Garcia and PatPat are so replaceable. How many guys out there can really play great defense and hit the open shot consistently on offense? I think these sorts of players are undervalued......

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

-Garcia will almost certainly be gone. There are teams out there that will snag him up on a 3 or 4 million dollar contract before the Rockets figure out what their free agency/trade plans are to acquire star #2. Plus his contract has a true team option that doesn't allow him to be traded on draft night like the Brooks/Delfino contracts.

So Garcia is gone. Which is amazing that this guy really seems to be giving it 110% right now, and acting like a true pro. Him alone was worth making the Patterson trade IMO. I think there are a few people on the board that severly overrated the production he gave this team. Getting to work with Thomas Robinson over the Summer as a potential stud is just a bonus.

-Delfino on the other hand has the Rockets in a tricky situation. His 3 million next year could be valuable in a trade to make up salary in that situation, and gives the Rockets the ability to keep multiple young players out of the trade talks. However if the front office has their eyes set on a free agent signing, you are probably gonna have to decline his team option beforehand to create the cap space needed.

Most likely either way Delfino will not be a Rocket next year unless they target trades instead AND nothing happens on that end which forces them to stand pat

(Brooks add on)

-Aaron Brooks finds himself in almost the exact same situation as Delfino. If they are targeting trades instead of free agency, I think they use the team option if they feel like the teams they will be trading with would value Brooks on a one year deal. If you are targeting say.... the Lakers and Gasol, it might not be a bad idea to exercise the option for Brooks to use him in the trade. They could really use the PG help on the cheap.

*also keep in mind, if the front office sees the opportunity to chase a trade on draft night, it will give the Rockets the option to trade Brooks & Delfino before the date to exercise their team options. This would be most preferable for a team looking to gain cap flexibility.

However, also remember that free agency starts July 1st. So the Rockets need to make a judgement call on who they think is a safe bet to sign with the Rockets before draft night because a major trade could be hinged on whether or not they are going to sign say.... Dwight Howard in free agency.

That being said-

I do wish there was a way the Rockets could bring back all 3 of these guys despite how unlikely it is. The silver lining however, is that this is all based on the assumption the Rockets will either make a huge splash in free agency or make a major trade to bring in star #2. No star #2, you can at least bring back Delfino/Brooks on the cheap.

#25 dobro1229, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  6. YallMean

YallMean Member

I always liked Garcia's game even when he was with the Kings. I wish we could figure out a way to keep him. Dude doesn't whine and does his job and then some. My kind guy.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

I don't know about Delfino. He looks good when treys are falling for him, but he whores too many of them.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

When Harden's gimmicks not bailed out by the refs, Lin does his clueless plays, and Delfino whores treys, typically we dig ourselves a big hole.

9. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

10. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

You can always decline the option and try to sign them for cheaper. I think there's always a chance they come back.

Delfino more than Garcia since Deflino recently has express how much he's liked his role on the team and how it was fun to play basketball again.

11. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Let them both walk. Not part of the future here.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Since we have to decline Garcia at $6 mil, i'm betting he catches on with another team for more money than we're willing to commit to him. As far as Delfino, he's in a different situation. His $3 mil team option is looked upon as an asset. He can be traded this offseason, at next year's deadline, or kept for another playoff run. And since i don't think we'll get to max out Dwight or Paul this year, we should still be able to afford his value salary under the cap.

So Delfino yes; Garcia no

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

future is contending. these guys are contender contributors. dunno what you think the 'future' is but rookies arent gonna cut it in crunch playoff games

14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Both will be terminated, though the Rockets will likely try to re-sign them at much cheaper prices, particularly Defino.

15. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I agree Garcia is gone. Can't they pick up the very cheap option on Delfino, and if Dwight says "Houston I am come" then you trade Delfino to a team with Cap space for a second rounder/ low first rounder? Delfino has proven he's worth more than $3M. Same with Brooks - he's worth more than $2M/year. And if Dwight decides to stay in LA, then you just keep Delfino.

One of the underrated aspects of the TRob trade is that he can be quickly dumped to a team with cap space for a second rounder/low first rounder and create cap space to make a free agent offer to Dwight.

IMO Dwight's the only free agent that we have an outside shot at (I'm excluding Chris Paul for obvious reasons) that we would contemplate giving a max offer to. Anyone else, and we can keep Defino/Brooks and still make a good offer.

16. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

+1

I love Cisco for both his tangibles and his intangibles. Too bad he's kind of expensive.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

I'd let both go and try to sign Dunleavy as the backup SG and Ariza as the backup SF.

18. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

garcia has proved some value guarding durant but his contract really means hes getting released.. would he be allowed to resign for less?

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

You could try and move Trob instead of Delfino out for something like Jeff Taylor and the Blazer's 1st round pick (Bobcats) and then draft a euro stash like Gobert or Giannis that won't count against the cap.

20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

they'll probably be used to match salaries in a trade