1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Plane Lands Safely after Pilot Dies Mid-Flight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The_Yoyo, Jun 18, 2009.

1. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

1. Planes are capable of landing themselves
    2. Co pilots know very well how to land a plane
    3. Most long flights are equipped with a relief crew
    4. I'd rather trust you landing a plane than any flight attendant.

This story is a non issue, just like most thing in the media. May the pilot rest in peace though.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fish...

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

That just seems strange to me...and kind of sad that we're at the point where a heart attack at 61 is "natural"...Though I suppose, like another poster mentioned, that being a pilot is highly stressful. Still very sad, and I'm sure very scary for the passengers.

4. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

The definition of "natural causes" is death due to something out of human interference. The pilot wasn't murdered, he was poisoned by someone, he had a heart attack out of nowhere. That seems pretty natural to me.

61 to die of a heart attack is young, however. It may be due to lack of medical care equipments available. He may have survived if it were possible to take him to an ER promptly.

If I were a passenger and just been told that the pilot passed away, I'd be concerned, but I don't think I would be scared out of my wits. Who knows, I'll be flying twice next month, hopefully I won't encounter that type of experiences...

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Why? The risk is high after 55. The pilots are required to take physicals every 6 months. They are more experienced. Crap happens. Thats why there is plenty of contingency plans.

6. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

His wife and family lives in Houston..

Just saw it on CNN.

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Sad for his family but good for passengers. The flight suffered a terrible fate and the passengers never knew the difference.

8. kona-

kona- Member

Wait staff cant land a plane. And Auto-Pilot is not smart for landing. 1 co-pilot is alot of work.

They only had 3 pilots because it was international. Domestic flights dont.

9. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

My friends on CBS news:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5096319n

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Thank you. Other than to mourn the loss of the dead pilot this isn't news. This is precisely the reason why there's more than one pilot on an airplane (and in this case, 3). The plane nor the passengers were ever in any danger. So major props to any passengers overreacting trying to get their 15 minutes or to any of those "FLYING ISNT SAFE!!" extremists out there. Good for you. That doesn't make you informed, though.