1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Placing blame where it is due - Wade Phillips

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I figured we would have at least one PATRIOT call this game
    it was the NO CALL that killed it though

Rocket River

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Dont let stats fool you... our stalled offense destroyed us...how many times do we have to say this...the Texans are not a come from behind team...they dont have the right personnel for it...They dont have blazing speed on the outside, and they have plays that are way to slow developing...want an example...we were down by 13 with no timeout and about 1:10 left in the game...This is your season..not just any other game...you throw it down the field and try your best to score 7...and every player should be playing hurry up offense...who cares if you throw the pick...it doesn't matter...instead they literally ran the clock out on themselves...Winning teams dont do that...After Wilson completed the comeback...Matt Flyn had 30 seconds to get from the 20 to FG range...and they won the game...bc they were in position to do so...

Our offense cost us a win...the inability to play our offensive game...cost us...We all know what Brady can do...bc he does that everywhere...and against everyone...what we didnt do was play our offense like we shouldve...

3. Prince

Prince Member

first game with Patriots, we could not score then we could not defend.

second game, we improved our scoring, but then we still could not defend. allowing 40 points.

easy. Defense is to blame.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The defense played well for the first few series but got burned in the middle of the game. Not sure if it had to do with poor schemes or just defense giving up hope. I will blame him for having zero answer for the no huddle, I mean how the hell do you get exposed to badly when the Pats go no huddle?

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Patriots made half time adjustment

The said "When we i nthe red zone we going no huddle and quick count"
    The Defense still shift - insta-touchdown

NOT FIXING that was Wade's fault.

BTW - Who was the MIKE? Who called the Defensive plays????

Cushing and Demeco were . .. but they weren't there. . . so who was our Defensive QB?
    The Defense was basically playing with their TJ Yates! LOL

Rocket River

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

The defense played better in the first half than the offense, by far.

In the second half, they both played like microwaved ass.

The offense was more to blame for this loss.

It was their job to score points and keep Brady off the field, they did neither.

7. MadMax

MadMax Member

If the offense stays on the field longer, the other team can't score as many points, barring turnovers converted to points.

So it's way too simplistic to say, "The other team scored 40 points so it's all on the defense."

Of course, it's way too simplistic to say the blame is all on the offense, as well.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Taking 3 on that 1st drive . . . .was just killer

I almost would have felt better if they would have went for it . . . .

Rocket River

9. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

Absolutely

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Again........it's really hard for me to believe Wade and the defense giving up 41 points is somehow because of Matt Schaub and the offense. It's amazing to me that so many are willing to shrug that off and give the D a free pass.

How was it the offenses fault that we couldn't even get lined up in time on NE's first TD when they quick-snapped us? How was it the offenses fault that we give up an easy 7-play TD drive on the first drive of the 2nd half to kill any momentum left over from the first half?

Like I said before, the offense blew herds of rare antelope for the most part yesterday. But - and here's the part that some people here don't seem to understand - so did the defense.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

In order to win this game we were going to have to run the ball, convert 3rd downs, score in the redzone, and beat them soundly in time of possession. Those things didn't happen. The defense gave us a fighting chance going into the 3rd quarter, and the offense proudly shat the bed until the game was well out of reach. The defense played poorly, the offense played terribly.

When you grade each unit on a curve (i.e. the defense was facing the league's best offense, the offense was facing a below-average defense), the performance of the offense looks even worse.

#51 DonnyMost, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No one is giving the Defense a Free Pass
    However this thread wants to put it ALL ON THE DEFENSE
    and
    That simply is not the case

How did the Offense respond to that momentum killing drive????
    1-10-HOU 20 (11:30) 23-A.Foster right guard to HOU 26 for 6 yards (71-B.Deaderick).
    2-4-HOU 26 (10:56) 8-M.Schaub pass short left to 81-O.Daniels to HOU 25 for -1 yards (51-J.Mayo).
    3-5-HOU 25 (10:02) (Shotgun) 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete short right to 81-O.Daniels.
    4-5-HOU 25 (9:55) 5-D.Jones punts 40 yards to NE 35, Center-46-J.Weeks. 83-W.Welker to NE 35 for no gain (27-Q.Demps).

Burned a whole minute and 35 seconds off the clock before the Defense has to go right back out there.

Rocket River

13. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Fun game:

You get to pick any opponent from this week to go up against the Texans. The Patriots are really good, so go ahead and trade them for another team. Packers? Sure. Seahawks? Okay. Broncos? Why not.

Guess what... 28 points wouldn't have beat a single one of them. Every single team scored at least 28 points this week.

Could the defense have played better? Definitely. But teams score points in this league. Elite offenses score points on everyone. I know the old adage is that "defense wins championships" but the numbers just don't back that up.

18 of the last 20 Super Bowls were won by a QB at the top of his game. Aikman, Young, Favre, Elway, Warner, Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning bros, Brees, Rodgers. You can cite Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer as examples that you don't need a great QB, but 90% of the time it appears you do.

So once every ten years we can win a Super Bowl with a guy like Schaub. Not impossible, but a lot needs to go right for that to happen.

So feel free to blame the defense for not shutting out Tom Brady, even though pretty much every team in the last 10 years has had trouble with him. I'm going to focus on the offense. Until we have an offense that can score more consistently (only hit 30 points in 33% of our games this year) it seems that it won't really matter what our defense does.

14. ubigred

ubigred Member

Beat me to that stat. I would have added more 'spice' on Matt Schaub though.

15. primtim24

primtim24 Member

Despite all of the offense/Schaub bashing, we still won the T.O.P. battle. The Patriots averaged 2:55/scoring drive, when a team is scoring that quickly, what does it matter if you "keep them off the field". At the end of the day, in order to be an Elite level qb; YOU HAVE TO STOP HIM. This isn't street-ball, there is no "make it-take it" the other team will get the ball. We didn't cause any turnovers, gave up 350 yards passing, and 120 yards rushing, yet it's on the offense???

16. Raven

Raven Member

My only concern with Wade is his health and age. He isn't the problem. The problem is bad cap management, mediocre QB, and a mediocre head coach.

17. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

So rick dennison is to blame..

18. Precision340

Precision340 Member

i agree that the blame is not all on schaub.. but he played a huge part in why the texans loss the game... i've been his supporter for a while but after the year-end collapse and last night's game i don't know if he will ever take a team to the super bowl... he just doesn't have the mentality to perform in the clutch... at times he looks like he's playing scared!! one play comes to mind that really irked me - he was scrambling and got out of the pocket.. but instead of looking to make a play down the field he throws the ball out of play.. that was very telling!! :mad:

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

TOP ???

1st QUart:
    1 01:03 4 3 Field Goal
    1- TOP -- Plays -- RESULT
    HOU
    1 01:03 4 ____Field Goal
    1 03:03 6 ____Punt
    1 1:20 4 ____Punt
    1 -02:21- 6 ____Punt

NEW
    1 01:09 3 ____Punt
    1 03:38 8 ____Punt
    1 03:01 6 ____Touchdown

2nd Quarter
    HOU
    2 03:34 6 ____Punt
    2 02:23 5 ____Touchdown [started on NWE 47 ]
    2 00:24 5 ____Field Goal
    2 00:00 1 ____End of Half

NEW
    2 03:51 11____Field Goal
    2 02:56 7 ____Touchdown
    2 00:44 3 ____Punt

3rd Quarter
    HOU
    3 01:43 3 ____Punt
    3 04:36 9 ____Intercepted Pass < --- The Wheel Wobble
    3 03:08 8 ____Downs

NEW
    3 03:30 7 ____Touchdown
    3 00:57 3 ____Punt
    3 02:53 6 ____Touchdown <---- The Wheel officially came off

4th
    Hou
    4 01:32 5 ____Touchdown
    4 04:47 11____Touchdown
    4 01:14 5 ____End of Game
    NEW
    4 00:00 1 ____Touchdown
    4 01:37 3 ____Punt
    4 03:57 9 ____Field Goal

In the third -
    Defense gives up an opening drive TD - THIS IS VERY BAD
    The Offense Does Nothing - THIS IS NOT GOOD
    Defense gets a stop THIS IS Good
    The Offense Cough up the Ball - THIS IS VERY BAD
    Then NE immediately goes for a bomb RB on BackupLineback - TD - BALL GAME - THIS IS A BACKBREAKER
    thanks for coming

Rocket River

20. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Fun game:
    Let Tom Brady be all time quarterback for both teams. Who wins?