1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pitching - Are we concerned?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, Apr 11, 2016.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Umm, I wouldn't call him lights out. He only went 4.1 last game, giving up 5 R (granted, only 2 ER...but 2 multi-run HRs). He's had very high highs and low lows. And as always, he hasn't stayed healthy for a season yet

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah... that's like saying Giles has been "lights out" by not allowing a run in the last 2 appearances.

Of the two, obviously VV has made more of an initial splash... hell, he may never throw another game as good as his 16K complete game shutout. But when one pitcher is 23, and the other is 25.... we'll have a helluva lot longer to evaluate this trade (and would be saying the same thing if Giles really was lights out to start the year, while VV was putting up mediocre starts).

3. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Oh, it is lights out. He's one of five pitchers to have three starts and an ERA under 1.0 this year. Now, you are right that he will not likely be able to sustain it, but it's ok to acknowledge he has been awesome over three starts.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Awesome over two starts.

5. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

He was quite awful his last start.

6. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

The short answer is yes

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Should we worry? OF COURSE.

Lets see the numbers

All of our starters have a very high ERA except K.

The guy with a 4.11 has a whip of over 1.60 ouch
    Others, 5.94, 6.39 and 6.48, are you kidding me?

Relievers, half of them are struggling.

Who said our pitching was not the problem?

Of course is a problem. Maybe is not THE problem because offense is also a problem, but is BOTH, offense and pitching.

We also have a problem with the manager.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Fiers needs to pitch better. We need ~3.75 ERA from him and McHugh. They don't need to be world beaters, just a good #3-4 combo.

Let Dev start.

Keuchel needs to pitch better on the road. But we also need to hit better with runners on. We're probably on pace for the most solos record and worst BA with baserunners.

McCullers.. smh. He almost seems out indefinitely, but I'll be happy with his return by All Star break.

Bully is still good. Fields looks like he's been demoted (rightfully so), he pitched tonight while we were down 4+. He's the last option.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Is Keuchels velocity down? I remember him hitting 90-91 last year. Now he struggles to even hit 89. His command save for one game looks pretty bad as well. Not enjoying this at all. This isn't a world series pitching staff whatsoever.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm officially concerned. Not panicking, but this is an issue.

Coming into the year, Feldman and Fister concerned me. I figured Feldman would by his typical league average self, but he didn't have much room for dropoff. Even a slight one, and he would become a bad starter. And if Fister was unable to regain some velocity, he would get knocked around again. Both may have happened.

I still think Fiers and McHugh will be solid. McHugh is being punished by an insanely high .462 BABIP in the early going. Fiers is getting hit hard early, but I have no real reason to fear he suddenly sucks given his past results. Having said that, we can't wait forever on him if he keeps struggling.

I give them one more trip through the rotation and then Devenski takes somebody's spot if they struggle again. LMJ may take another one (or Devenski's) when he gets back. I've also though a trade for a top arm was a really good possibility as well.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I am all for giving Devenski a shot.

But who would be the long reliever that would keeps us in games then?

Whoever gets demoted should also get put on the 15 day DL, opening a spot up for the hottest AA or AAA pitcher.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This, right here, is why the Giles trade could really sting if he doesn't turn it around. If you move prospects for somebody that lives up to your expectations, great; well worth it.

But draining the system for a (so far) failure... man, that can really compromise your flexibility to make additional deals. I don't know if the Astros can be *as* aggressive about dealing more prospects right now. There are only so many band-aids.

I supported the Giles deal, generally - but thought it reeked of overreaction to the end of the year. The bullpen was a strength last year for ~90% of the season. Didn't fully get dumping a lot of prospects to "fix" it.

Oh, well...

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We are 0-7 in games Devenski has pitched in. Guys in the long relief role typically come into losing situations and very rarely impact games the team has a good chance to win. Last night was an exception to that rule.

I would be fine with the demoted started being moved into the mop up role. Throwing healthy guys on the 15 day DL isn't gonna be popular for more than a one time deal.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If he is unable to turn it around that trade will have hurt no doubt, but we are more than able to pull the trigger on any trades we want to. The farm is still loaded. To the point where a lot of top prospects are in a bit of purgatory.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At the same time, Giles has some extended time with the club to figure it out... As opposed to really going after it last year and acquiring a rental closer for still valuable (albeit less-so) prospects.

You also can't say the bullpen hadn't sprung a leak and was regressing to end the season... It was a contributing factor (possibly the biggest negative factor) both in losing the division lead and ultimately in the playoffs. Them going out and improving the bullpen was a definitive need, along with starting pitching (of course at the time, they weren't expecting LMJ to miss what is looking like at least 20-25% of the season)... More specifically, getting a guy who could actually miss bats.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Oh yeah. We're very concerned.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It's down... All of the staff is down (including bullpen guys) for some reason.

Keuchel has to be that much more precise/sharp at 88-89 vs 90-91.... Not sure if that's why he's having spotty control issues, but it does take him from an elite Cy young level pitcher to simply an ok pitcher (but let's not overreact here, as of 2 starts ago he pitched 8 shutout innings against a really good offense).

More worried about McHugh. His velocity has been declining seemingly since his debut game against the Mariners 2 years ago. There's also a book out on him now, so he'll have to adjust to the adjustments.

18. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Damn this sucks! 8 games under .500. GEEZ

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Too early for the 2017 Draft watch thread?

20. Nero

Nero Member

The weird thing is, it seems like there is a curse over all Houston pro sports.. and that is this: Whenever any of them start to 'get pretty good', they cannot stop themselves from believing their own hype. And then BAM, it all comes crumbling down. Texans? As soon as they became mentioned as possible title contenders, crash and burn. Rockets? With the exception of one miraculous 2-year stretch over 20 years ago, they have always been over-hyped and under-performing, and the more hype they got, the mre crash-and-burn it got. This year is a prime example.

And the Astros? Everyones' chic pick to go to the WS.. these guys start to believe they are really great, and WHAM.. worst record in the league.

I have never seen anything like this from any other city. Is there something in the water here??