1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pit Bulls

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mango, Oct 6, 2000.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Is there something about owning a pit bull that I fail to comprehend?

Sure, other dogs get out and disrupt the lives of others, but it seems that pit bulls in particular grab more than their fair share of headlines in regards to this area.

Mango

------------------
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Because they freak out more than any other breed. I have a friend at work that breeds and sells them. Pure breeds can command a pretty nice price.

------------------
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.

Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the mother****** upside the head!

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

How much does he sell them for?

Does he have any feelings (second thoughts)about being in that business or is he just a bottom line money guy?

Mango

------------------
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

i dont think it's just about them freaking out. reading the story that happened today, the 2 pitbulls went hunting for prey and killed cats and attacked a little dauschund before attacking 3 people. The breed is obviously not meant to live with humans.

i think pit bull breeding should be banned and they should be treated like a wild canine like wolves or coyotes.

5. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Although the APBT was once used as a national symbol of courage and pride, the breed is largely misunderstood today.
    Even though the APBT has historically been bred to excel in combat with other dogs, a well-bred APBT has a rock-steady temperament and, contrary to popular belief, is NOT inherently aggressive towards humans.
    As with any companion dog, socialization and consistent fair-minded training is a must from a very early age. http://www.nyx.net/~mbur/apbtfaqover.html#over

-As an experienced and avid canine owner I feel that there are good and bad examples in all breeds. There are good and bad owners too.
    Akitas,Rottweilers,Chow chows all have reputations that parallel the "Pit Bulls".

------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

6. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

What breed of dog bites more people in the United States each year?

---------------------

The Cocker Spaniel.

---------------------------

outlaw,

Should the breeding of cocker spaniels be banned also?

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

Yes, but just because I think they're ugly. [​IMG] Personally I think the only dogs people should own are golden retrievers and labradors. Seriously though, when was the last time you heard of a child being fatally attacked by a cocker spaniel? There are bites and there are maulings.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I wish all breeding would be banned. It creates all sorts of wierd strains of illnesses and genetic defects because of the nature of in-breeding.

In addition, it creates a real problem with unwanted animals that end up in shelters and on the streets every year. If you want a pet, go to the Humane Society, SPCA, city pound, Special Pals, Citizens for Animal Protection or any local animal shelter. It's far more humane and you'll get a terrific pet.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I own a Lab-Chow mix. My dog is the sweetest, most loyal, and the most protective dog any family could own. We got her when she was 8 weeks old from the Houston SPCA. I was skeptical of owning a Chow since I have three kids to worry about. But with the proper love and training, she is a wonderful dog. She has all the playfulness and work ethic of a Lab, while at the same time she is very protective when strangers come into the yard (with just a tiny hint of the fierceness (sp?) of a Chow).

Please do not include Chows in the same discussion as Pit Bulls.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

10. nutcake

nutcake Member

Any dog will bite in the right circumstances. I have heard that with pit bulls inbreading brings out agressiveness. The meanest dog I know is a cocker spaniel that was abused and he is super sweet around people he knows.

------------------

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I've heard of Chows turning on their owners ?? I think they are the cutest puppies though.

------------------
    "Only Hakeem Olajuwon is a better athlete." Dick Versace, when referring to Antonio McDyess before the draft.

12. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Any dog will turn on their owners if they are not cared for properly. Conversely, a well cared for and loved dog will be loyal forever. Chows simply need more interaction and attention to stay loyal.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

13. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Any dog can show its bad side... large dogs just have the option of being a little bit more destructive.

It's probably a self-fulfilling prophecy: people act oddly around big dogs b/c of fear, but then that same dog detects the uneasiness of the stranger and gets nervous him or herself.

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Jeff, I usually agree with you, but I have been around quite a few different kind of dogs, and I would not want to have the world robbed of pure-breeds. I'm not advocating inbreeding, but when I get a dog, I want to have a fair sense of what kind of traits I am going to have in my dog. Personally I love the Springer Spaniels. I HATE the cocker spaniels. Golden Retrievers are okay.

Mutts are a toss up. You don't know what you are getting. Same with previously owned dogs.

Whenever I get another dog, it's going to be a Springer Spaniel puppy.

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of lies:

lies, lies, and heypeeisms.

-DrofDunkingDonuts

15. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

I feel that there are good and bad examples in all breeds. There are good and bad owners too.

------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

16. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

A lot of responsibility falls on the owners of dogs. I believe it's the owners responsibility to train, feed, love, train, shelter, train, bond, etc, etc, with their dog. If you don't, you run the risk of having a liability. A dog is more than something to put in a yard to bark at strangers. It must be part of the family, the pack. It must be mentally stimulated and exercised.

I could go on and on, so what I'm really saying is: Some people should just not have dogs.

rockHEAD
    ===================
    http://Epets.tripod.com/janefront.html

------------------
    *** THIS SPACE FOR LEASE ***

17. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Jeff,

I'll not have you rob me of my pure bred Weimers. Man, I love those dogs.

Other pure breeds I am fond of: German Shepherds, Mini Daschunds, Border Collies, & Dobermans.

The best dog I ever had was a mutt, though. She was a German Shepherd and hound dog (or something similar) mix. She just wandered up to our house one day (I must've been 4 or 5). Actually, she looked sorta crazy walking up the street .... very slow and very deliberate.

But, I gave her some Doritos, and she was my loyal and loving companion for years. She was a very aggressive and even sometimes "mean" dog. But, she had obviously been abused before, and come to find out the people who lived in the garage apartment on the property of the house we rented at the time would spray her with the water hose when she was tied up when we weren't at home.

But, she was ultra-protective of me and my siblings and she never once showed any sort of aggressive behavior towards anyone in my family.

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

DREAMer: I don't want to "rob" you of anything, but puppy mills are inherently bad for the animals and the breed. Dillution of breeds ultimately must happen if for no other reason than to prevent virulent strains of disease from manifesting due to genetic mutations.

I like some of the breeds you mentioned as well, but animals aren't posessions to be molded to our will. They are living creatures and are far too often treated with carelessness and disrespect.

I'm glad you love your dogs. I love my cats. That is what is most important.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

19. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Jeff,

I should've put a smiley [​IMG] after that first sentence.

I'm more of a "cat person" myself, but I love dogs too. I've had cats for the past 10 years or so, more from necessity (living in apartments). But, when my wife and I do get a house the first dog I get will probably be a minature Daschund. My sister had one with a hair-lip who was just an amazingly entertaining dog, and my Dad got one after his wife's dog passed away, and she's (the dog [​IMG] ) is cool too.

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

20. davo

davo Contributing Member

How bizarre Behad. My first dog was chow/lab cross. He was quite short haired, had a curly tail and a purple tongue. Awesome dog - faithful, loyal and not the least bit aggressive.

------------------
    Maybe all the rulers are wrong.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info