1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Pistons Interested In Trading For McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by guangzu, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

All im saying is what ever direction we choose to go we will atleast be equipped with the most options. Then say we dont do anything period? How does that help us? Your right they are getting older.

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

"Most options" does not necessarily equal "best." That's what I'M saying.

We could trade T-Mac for expirings too. That would give us a lot of options. Is it a good idea? No.

You're talking about giving up the third-best player on our team for cap space, here. And the cap's gonna be what, maybe $60 mil even next offseason? Even sans Shane, we'd have a payroll of $48 mil for four players. FOUR PLAYERS. Yao, T-Mac, Rafer, Scola. That doesn't even count Landry ($3 mil?), Greene ($1 mil), or Dorsey ($0.5 mil), who we haven't signed, or Brooks ($1 mil), who we doubtless will keep, or Barry ($1.5 mil?), who we may well sign. So, in this theoretical plan, we'd then HOPE that a big name would take our... what? $8 mil/year, if that? That's barely even above MLE money. Then we'd have no mid-level exception left, as we would if we kept Shane and traded our expirings for assets at the middle of this season.

See the problem? You're not talking about trading Shane for Artest.

You're talking about Shane, PLUS whatever assets we could acquire middle of this season for our expirings, PLUS the mid-level exception, PLUS a decent shot at a title THIS year for a SHOT at Artest.

Does that REALLY sound right idea to you? CHANCE at Artest > Battier + MLE + trade deadline player? Really?

Tell you what: if you want one of those big names so bad, we'd have a better chance at getting one by stockpiling assets and trying for a sign-and-trade. And meantime, would could actually try to win something too.

#122 Drexlerfan22, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  3. carib

carib Member

Why would the Kings take Jackson and Brooks for Artest??

4. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

It sounds perfect especially when a article said Rockets are taking back no salary and Shane is the only one under contract with Yao in his last season.

What does it sound like to you?

I have no problem with Wally for Shane Battier+Jackson trade since he is a much, much better fit in terms of finacial flexability, a better scoring option, and the ability to even sign a Iverson if Denver is caught sleeping.

what can you not grasp? It isnt about trying to build a roster around Battier

Would you rather shed a year off payroll and have Wally a better 3rd option or have Alston your 3rd option?

This is all i'm trying to say.

5. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Wally is a better shooter than Shane- who dont even take many shots as Alston. No dont trade Brooks/Battier or Scola for Artest because around the league chances are he will bolt anyways. Also the margin of error is pretty slim to me if it turns out to be a Batter for Artest signing. you never know, but you will be in a better shot at signing him anyways and still have Brooks and Scola. The margin of error for a impact signing with a simple move through out the course of the season is very, very slim.

6. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

I say give it another shot. If we don't advance far, then it may be time to move in another direction but we were in the first year of a new system, had some new players to fit in and on the team, and lost Yao for a good portion of the season yet we still won 55 games, continued the 22 game win streak for awhile and easily could have beaten the Jazz with some more luck.

If our core outside of Yao had stayed healthy, we could have won the title or at least been stomped by Boston, who rudely came to Toyota and brought us back to reality.

7. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I'm not scarred to give it another shot and im not dissapointed about our season. This is the hardest i have seen a Rockets team play in many years.

Another thing as someone once mentioned, why pay players who isnt playing?

If chuck Hayes can be salary dumped too with a expiring for another expiring big "if", but it still benifits the team's flexability.

We have a log jam at the 4 spot anyways.

8. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Ok let the hating begin...

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

What can I not grasp? Buddy, I'm grasping what you're saying just fine. It's a terrible idea. Terrible. You make that trade and you're forcing T-Mac to guard the other team's best perimeter scorer EVERY night, and you're basically giving up a valuable asset (Battier) and expirings that can be turned into more valuable assets this season in exchange for being $7 or $8 million under the cap the following season, WHICH IS BARELY OVER THE MLE ANYWAY. You keep saying these guys will go where the money is. THE MONEY IS WITH THEIR EXISTING TEAMS. You think these guys will take our $7 or $8 million when they can take nearly twice that from their existing teams?

To quote you, "what can you not grasp?" Again, if you want one of those players so bad, retaining as many assets and we can and doing a sign-and-trade with someone gives us a better chance than hoping the big names will fall all over themselves to take an offer from us that's barely over the MLE.

He's also a pitiful defender, and not nearly as valuable a trading piece in general.

I. NEVER. SAID. WE. SHOULD. TRADE. BATTIER. FOR. ARTEST.

YOU ARE ARGUING AGAINST SOMETHING I NEVER SAID, AND IN FACT EXPRESSLY DENIED EVER SAYING. Is this really so hard fro you to see?

Do I need to say it again? This is exhibit A, proving that you're not even reading my posts. I said we should trade our EXPIRING CONTRACTS (Stevie, Bobby) for whatever we can get for them at the deadline. I NEVER said we should trade Shane for the guy.

And EVEN IF THAT WERE THE CASE (which it ISN'T), are you forgetting that we'd get his Bird rights if we traded for him mid-season? Which means we could potentially give him a big deal in the offseason, rather than being restricted to a max of MAYBE $8 mil/yr given your plan?

Come back when you can tell me why you think Artest would jump for joy at the idea of signing with us next summer for $8 mil/yr, when right at the moment he feels he's underpaid at... that's right... $8 mil/yr with Sacramento!

My freakin' head hurts.

10. Convictedstupid

Im not sure why people are thinking Detroit is would give up Billups AND Hamilton. Thats just a silly thought. There is no way in hell they would give them both up for t-mac.

Quit dreaming, it wont happen.

11. Convictedstupid

And watching that video that h-townhero posted made me realize how many fouls didnt get called that should have been...

Or if we're playing 'NBA' rules.

12. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Member

i live in Detroit and i love Tmac...
    but im a rox fan

damn it...!! life is struggle

13. jdmb82

jdmb82 Member

I used to live in Detroit and let me just say that I am deeply sorry that you have to live in such a crappy town. It sucks there man. The people. The weather. The atmosphere... but the country-side of middle and northern Michigan is pretty.

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Is this Calvin Murphy? :rolleyes:

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Can you say, No Deal!! In my opinion, the team that trades the best player loose the trade. T-Mac will be the best player, in that trade.

16. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

http://www.***************/Story.asp?story_id=9413

The Houston Rockets would have liked to have been players in the Corey Maggette discussion, but before it even began they knew they didn't have the money to be in that conversation. Maggette had MLE offers from nearly half of the NBA, and was simply waiting for a team with cap space to step up. The Warriors were the first to do so and they will now have Maggette there as they try to recover from the loss of Baron Davis.

The next name Rockets fans are going to hear thrown around is James Posey, but it's doubtful that he winds up in Houston. Frankly, Posey is in a pretty good position to get radically overpaid. He's a nice player, the kind of player who can get a team that just needs a minor tweak into the Finals. But "value" is a strange bedfellow, and often changes depending on the situation. Posey is worth an MLE contract, but with Maggette off the market he might get offers well over that range from a desperate team. The Rockets are in that discussion, but again, are likely to miss out. And that might not be a bad thing.

Which brings us to Tracy McGrady.

I recently had a very frank discussion with Rockets VP Sam Hinkie about McGrady, and it was very similar to discussions I've had with GM Daryl Morey. Hinkie quipped that he and Morey have considered doing bi-monthly press releases stating simply: "The Houston Rockets are NOT interested in trading McGrady." We've written this countless times at HOOPSWORLD, and here it is again:

The Houston Rockets are NOT interested in trading Tracy McGrady.

Is it possible that their stance will change? Of course. But they have a lot of other business to take care of before they decide it's time to completely blow up the team.

The team is close to signing Dikembe Mutombo, which is an absolutely essential first step. Step number two will be signing Carl Landry, a process that has been made needlessly complicated by his agent's refusal to have a simple MRI done to confirm the status of Landry's injured knee. Landry's agent is hoping some other team will offer him a bigger contract without an MRI, but the simple fact that the MRI is being avoided has to be a concern. If the knee is fine, why not have the MRI and prove it to everyone? No one wants to invest millions of dollars in an unknown quantity. Sooner or later, the MRI will be completed and Landry will land back in Houston.

Assuming that to be the case, the Rockets feel they have a great chance to be better simply by allowing their existing team to come together. Luis Scola will improve over the summer, Landry and Aaron Brooks will likely be better (assuming Landry doesn't let his agent cost him summer league and training camp). If they can also get Yao Ming and McGrady healthy for the bulk of the season, that could be enough to get the Rockets to the second round of the playoffs and beyond.

Where I think a crack develops - a crack that might allow McGrady trade talk to slip in - is in Houston's confidence that they can actually get both of their cornerstones healthy at the same time. As good as Yao and McGrady might be together, there is a growing feeling among Rockets fans that they won't ever see their heroes healthy together when it matters most.

Even if the times comes when the Rockets might be willing to move McGrady, it won't be for Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince, as has been rumored time and time again in Detroit media. Rafer Alston has been nothing short of fantastic, and the Rockets are optimistic that Brooks will be ready to log meaningful minutes this season. Bobby Jackson is still in place, as well, and his knowledge of the Adelman offense was invaluable last year. Bringing in Billups - awesome as he is - only creates problems at the point. But the real killer is Prince, who is basically Shane Battier. If there are two more similar players, I don't know who they are. Battier, though, is more of a locker room influence than the reserved Prince. In other words, the Rockets already have the better version of Prince, and certainly don't need another. Neither Billups nor Prince is a premier scorer, so the Rockets would be giving up a lot of points in the deal.

Something involving Rip Hamilton would make a lot more sense for Houston, but that's not what's being rumored . . .and again, the Rockets maintain McGrady isn't on the table anyway.

Finally, we have summer league. The Rockets didn't get their first choice in the draft - the Orlando Magic snatched Courtney Lee before Houston could get on the board. That said, they do like the players they were able to land through draft day trades, and both will get a chance to show they belong on the roster come November 1st. Syracuse's Donte Green has all of the skills the Rockets were hoping to add with Maggette, from perimeter defense to a nice jumper and the ability to put the ball on the court. How soon will he be able to do those things at the pro level? That's always the question. The same question will be asked about Memphis' Joey Dorsey, who was a beast in one of the country's top defenses, but may lack the height to get it done in the big league.

The Rockets will be taking part in the Las Vegas Summer League, which begins on Friday at UNLV. Stay tuned to HOOPSWORLD for exclusive video and analysis from Vegas - where we'll make sure you feed your Rockets jones.

17. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

19. Tornadoofsoul6

20. Breaker

Breaker Member

• And, speaking of major trade possibilities, there’s a blockbuster brewing in the NBA, too.

The Detroit Pistons, we hear, are making a big pitch to the Houston Rockets for perennial all-star Tracy McGrady.

It better be a BIG pitch.