1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pissed @ Drexler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketteen, Mar 30, 2000.

1. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

So I'm checking up on ESPN.com and come across that Drexler resigned from Houston. I mean what the hell is this? After 2 years he's burnt out and wants to spend more time with his family; I can understand this but he made it a big deal that he was going to stay when others said he would go and he went out and recruited a lot of coaches and players to basically resurect Phi-Slamma-Jamma and now he's ditching his alma matter. Now they have to go get another coach who won't cause our recruits to leave. If I was Houston, I would go up to Elvin Hayes and see if he wants the job. He wanted it when Clyde got it and didn't express any anger for being overlooked. He should be the unanimous choice. Dang it Clyde!!!

------------------

2. Major

Major Member

Rather than going for a "name", I think they need to just get someone who can coach. Kind of like UT did with Barnes. Personally, I knew nothing about Barnes and wasn't happy when he was first hired -- I wanted Majerus or someone like that. But UT got someone who just could fundamentally coach (except maybe in tournaments... [​IMG]) and the program's been rebuilt in 2 years w/ a top recruiting class next year.

------------------

[This message has been edited by shanna (edited March 30, 2000).]

3. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Barnes didn't have to "rebuild" much. Muonoke & Mihm and quite few NCAA appereances due to Tom Penders was already in place. If you think of what Penders was able to do with absolutely zero NBA talent (until Mihm), think what he could do with good talent. Penders may have been a shady character and not "hob-nobed" with fat cat good-ol-boy alums, but he turned around that program.

I would add that I think Barnes is a good replacement. Not trying to knock him or say UT isn't better off with him now, but just wanted to point out Penders deserves his due, IMHO.

Hey, maybe the Coogs can hire Tom Izzo. After all this way he could play Cinncinnati two or three times (once at his place), get out of those crapy midwest winters, and not have to play Northwestern twice a year. Seems like a no-brainer to me [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited March 30, 2000).]

4. dc sports

dc sports Member

The problem is that if UofH wants to compete in the NCAA, they need a name. Recruiting is so important since there is no draft and no financial incentives. You have to recruit well in order to have a good team.

With the demise of the Southwest Conference, and Houston not joining one of the 'big' conferences, they have pretty much dropped off the radar screen among big sporting colleges. The fact that their football and basketball programs haven't produced in several years doesn't help.

Houston can't recruit on the basis of sporting reputation, name recognition (outside of Texas), or acedemic reputation. A well known coach is pretty much required for recruiting. If not a former player, than at least a well known, successful coach.

(Note -- Cougars, please don't take offense. I know UofH is a good school -- It's just not viewed the same as Duke, Rice, etc.)

------------------

5. DUDE

DUDE Member

I am and was a huge Drexler fan. I think I know why he quit.
    He certainly had the name to draw a good recruitment class. That shows with the players he has gotten here. But, I dont think he was a good coach. It is not a slam or anything, some are good coaches and some are not. Some are good leaders others arent. Look at Lamar. They have much less talent than Houston but the coach is a good coach and has proven himself wherever he goes.
    I think he did the best thing and quit. Had he had another 10 win year with the players he would have next year than alot of people would be calling for his head.
    Anyway, just a thought.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DUDE (edited March 30, 2000).]

6. goophers

goophers Member

DC Sports, Rice is viewed as a good college sports team????!!!!! What the hell is that? I think the Coogs should talk to the baseball, track, golf, etc coaches. The Cougars kick @ss at all the sports that no one cares about. Hopefully a new coach can use the recruits Clyde got to build a great team.

------------------
    Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

All I know is: The Rice Owls were the best team in the SW Conference at humiliating UT and UH. And the reason you all fled the SWC...bwwaahahahahaha

So...UH fans, what is it like getting swept by the owls in '93? with Herrara not able to stop Brent Scott. Or losing the last football game of Yoeman's career on a sad last second TD. Or UT being beaten by the Owls in their last SW Conference football matchup on ESPN, as the fastest man in college, Bert Emmanual, foregoes the option altogether and takes the ball straight up the middle for 55 yards without changing the play with his lineman.

OK...before you Aggie bouys chime in in defense of car-key recruiting by saying we never beat you in football, how bout that Aggie Band collapse in '81 when we surrounded the field with whistles...lovely.

Tell you what...come down to Valhalla some time and I'll buy you a drink, we'll laugh and you'll experiene the charm of Rice.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited March 30, 2000).]

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Good points made earlier. The key to success is recruiting. To recruit a school must have 1) resources, 2) reputation, and 3) a recognized coach. UH doesn't have 1 and lost 2 years ago. Clyde was a recognized coach by name only. For a recognized coach by success to come to UH at least 1 has to be in place. That means $$$. UH must pay their new coach a lot of money.

The truth is that UT and A&M were not scared playing Rice. The two schools outgrew the SWC and left for a better deal with the Big 8. UT and A&M should have no regrets about leaving. Texas Tech and Baylor might not have fared so well in the Big 12 but they shouldn't have any regrets.

Now the schools that got dissed. Who is better off?

------------------
    Gimme the Rock

9. dc sports

dc sports Member

goophers,

You are right, I wasn't too clear. I meant that Rice is able to use it's academic reputation as a recruiting tool. They tend to use this as an advantage, maybe not to grab the 'top' recruits, but a lot of above average ones who aren't drawn to the big schools. A 'good' player might be swayed by the fact that if they don't make it to the NBA, NFL, etc., they will have a solid degree to fall back on.

True, they aren't likely to win the championship this year, but they have put together a very stable program which competes well at their level. If not feared, they are respected.

------------------