1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Piriformis Syndrome / Sciatica?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXTXIA, Jun 7, 2018.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Anyone ever had either of these?

I am wondering if I have the former. High-arched feet (with difficulty in finding footwear that suits me) leading to tight leg muscles is a likely culprit. The sore muscle can irritate the sciatic nerve and cause pain numbness or tingling down the leg into the foot.

Has anyone gone through this? Any exercises or therapy that help? (Yes, I found stuff on Google.)

Hopefully won't deal with too many "that sounds like a pain in the butt" posts, but oh well.

2. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I went through a similar process. I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND going to a physical therapist and learning how to
    sustainable strengthen and change your body movements, posture, core strength and learn stretches.

Doctors are just butchers as all they want to do is inject steroid shots or surgery or whatever they can bill on
    and it doesn't fix the problem.

ROXTXIA and Torn n Frayed like this.
  3. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah, I believe I have Sciatica - whenever I stand for any length of time, my left thigh goes numb, and then eventually starts to hurt with a painful burning sensation. Sitting back down makes it go away entirely within a minute or so. I also need to go to a chiropractor or PI or someone, because it is not particularly fun.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@ROXTXIA I have had issues with this. This stretch is the best. I do it every day.

[​IMG]

ROXTXIA likes this.
  5. ROXTXIA

I think my problem is mechanics. It all starts with high arched feet (for which I wear orthotics). Plus New Balance is about the only brand that makes shoes for narrow feet. PLUS I can wear only specific shoes among these so that I have arch support.

Add in all the pronation and poor posture and this and that and it probably adds up to the tight leg muscles and pain in the you-know-what.

Appreciate it. Hopefully I can actually do that.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Look up some yoga/pigeon poses for stretching. Crossing your leg in front of you ( like Deuces photo) and doing various stretches will help out a lot. The key is to open up some of the muscles in the glutes and stretch them.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

To follow up, yes, the root of your problem maybe your posture and feet, but it's the pressure in your lower spinal area that is causing the issues.

8. ROXTXIA

How does one lessen that pressure? I do have a sit-down job, but I don't stay planted all day. Just picking your brain here.

EDIT: My bad. I missed your first post.