1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pierre Jackson Leaves Idaho Stampede for Fenerbache (Istanbul)

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by shastarocket, Feb 24, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Here we go <a href="https://twitter.com/PierreJackson55">@PierreJackson55</a> is in Istanbul ready to play for <a href="https://twitter.com/FBahceUlker_">@FBahceUlker_</a>: <a href="https://t.co/3oRsBkxPs6">pic.twitter.com/3oRsBkxPs6</a></p>&mdash; Sportando (@sportando) <a href="https://twitter.com/sportando/statuses/437654734284263424">February 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Arguably the best player in the D-league.

What is NOP doing? I thought they'd sign him for sure once Jrue went down.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Said he wants to play in the USA but heard nothing from the Pelicans and really needs the mnoey for his family. Shame what they're doing to him.

3. rumelian

rumelian Member

As a Fenerbahçe fan , I'm happy of course.

But guys, at least he came to a really good team that plays for the top both in Turkish and Euroleauge.And , he will have the best (arguably) coach in Europe basketball history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BDeljko_Obradovi%C4%87

He will play along Bo McCalebb, Linas Kleiza and Bojan Bogdanovic.And he will play for a team who has over 20 million fans and a NBA-level court.

And for sure, money matters ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I don't blame Jackson for leaving for Fenerbache. He only has so many years to play and needs to make as much money as possible. Also I think playing overseas could be good for his game and scouts will be following him carefully. I would like to see how he does with Bojan Bogdanovic.

5. solodolo

solodolo Member

Pelicans is a joke ! Austin Rivers is the NBA & Pierre is not ok

Has Austin rivers even gone to the d league ?

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Wow, the Pelicans hate is strong in this thread.

Jackson could have forced his way onto the Pelicans prior to training camp but chose not to.

The CBA requires that all second round picks be given a "required tender" by their team in order for that team to retain that player's rights. The required tender for second round picks is a one-year rookie minimum deal (which I believe can be non-guaranteed). If the player rejects the required tender (as Jackson appears to have done), then his team retains his draft rights.

Here, it seems that Jackson was hoping to excel in the D-League in order to earn a better contract offer from the Pelicans than whatever his required tender looked like. He succeeded in excelling, but the Pelicans didn't appear to have the rotation spot for Jackson just yet. Either that, or they determined that Jackson's DRAFT RIGHTS were a more valuable trade asset than a signed Jackson on an NBA contract. (The Pelicans were right on that issue, by the way.)

Most likely, Jackson will be in the NBA next year. Meanwhile, he'll make some money in Turkey. Everybody wins.

7. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

They should have moved him at the deadline. Being a Baylor alum, I really wanted to see Pierre in the league.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately for Pierre, he actually PLAYED his way out of being traded.

If I were Dell Demps, I wouldn't be trading Jackson's draft rights for anything less than MULTIPLE second round picks (or possibly even a first rounder). No team in this market was going to give that up for Jackson.

Sad as it is for Jackson, the Pelicans were better off holding onto Jackson's draft rights than they were trading him for anything they were likely being offered.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

OK, I understand that the pelicans perceive him to be more valuable as an unsigned asset, but why is that so?

Doesn't IT2 prove what an undersized dead-eye athletic PG can do? Is it Austin Rivers' draft position that precluded NO from offering Jackson a viable contract?