1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pier Fishing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tharges, Sep 21, 2012.

1. tharges

tharges Member

Guys i used to fish san luis pass pier years ago, is there any place good to fish now days out of galveston?

2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Rollover pass in bolivar is great if you're willing to take the ferry across the bay

3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

If you're coming from Houston, you can go down I10 to Winnie and then go down to Bolivar for Rollover Pass.

If you want to fish Galveston, Sea Wolf park is also a decent pier.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Having lived in Gtown for about 4 years, we would go wade fishing about half way to San Luis pass and in the back Bay Area near the golf course and further out toward 9 mile road.

5. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Is that where there's tons of peeps in this stretch of a canal where there's a dam? I don't like fishing where there are other people making noise:-[

6. BigBird

As I recall (it's been some time, don't really make it out there often) it is a small channel between the coast and the intercoastal waterway. essentially the tide forces it through there and because of this lots of fish run through there. When I have gone it hasn't been all that crowded, probably on account of the fact that it's not on galveston and takes some time to get there so the mainstream fishing crowd avoids it. Haven't been there in a while so somebody who has been there more recently can probably speak to the crowd better than I can.

7. BigBird

Here's the best picture I could find of it after ike to give you a sense of what it's like

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. kidcave9

Nice pic, that's where I'm saying. Haven't had much luck there. what I really dont like is the wait for the ferry. If you try to leave around 10-3 on a weekend or on a holiday, your wait could be around 1 to 2 hours.

Btw, I have my secret fishing spot on that penis island :)

9. kidcave9

Its way faster and shorter if you take 45 s to Galveston then the ferry to get to rollover pass. If done the drive both ways to see for myself.

10. Classic

Classic Member

When I was younger I had good luck at Sea Wolf park's pier. We'd go at like 11 pm at night. Water gets calm and the trout & flounder start hitting. Would usually pack it in at about 3 or 4 AM and then hit Jack in the Box up on my way back home.

There used to be a bad ass pier in Bolivar that was to the right when you got off the ferry from Galveston that was wiped out many years ago. Too bad, that pier had some of the best fishing. Never had luck at Roll Over pass.

11. Classic

Classic Member

Another great place my bro and I have had success in Bolivar is wade fishing at Horseshoe lake where it hits the bay right next to the inter-coastal waterway. Take live shrimp on a popping cork and walk out about 50 yards from the bridge. Great fishing there in about waist deep water. Fishing from the bridge on Overton Ave was pretty good too if you don't wanna get wet.

[​IMG]

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Not if you have to wait an hour for the ferry.

If you go on a week and dont get there early, it can take a long time. Only takes me 1.5 hours to get there from my place (Beltway 8 and I-10 west) and takes about the same amount of time to go through galveston. And then a 20 minute drive after the ferry. I much prefer to go around the bay.

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

this is the time of year to pick up a bull red in the surf.....

14. Win

Win Contributing Member

Does this mean The Gulf Coast Pier and The 61st Pier no longer exist at Galveston? Never caught the specs or bull reds I wanted to back then but got the occasional sand trout, groper and big ass Gaff-Top (sp?).. I hit Boliver a few times and never got the mystical spec or even a flounder. Still loved it and wish y'all good fishing.