1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Picture Slideshow] Terrence Williams - Effort and Heart (or Lack Thereof)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Antec, Mar 7, 2011.

1. worzel gummidge

I think the reaction to T-Will's body language has been overblown. The moment the garbage time guys hit the floor it turned into 1-on-1, waiting for the clock to expire antics, from all the Rockets.

2. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

He was worth a protected first a few months ago, I guarantee you he's worth no more than a second rounder today.

23 year old wings aren't considered projects anymore.

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You sure are hostile in debates.

I don't think you're offering up any groundbreaking suggestions that the Nets or Rockets haven't tried. "Oh, all we had to do was tell him to hustle? Why didn't we think of that!" -Morey.

Someone probably would take a flier on him, you're right. But what are they offering? New Jersey gave up on him in only his second year. He can't get off the bench in Houston. His only value comes from a small window of consistent playing time at the end of his rookie year where he put up stats for the NBA's worst team.

Yeah, I'm sure we'll get something if we trade Terrence Williams. I just don't think it will be equal to what we gave up -- a first rounder that will likely be in the mid-teens range.

I get that line of thinking, but did you pay close attention to the game? He was putting his hands on his hips standing around the 3pt line when his teammates were driving the ball. At the least, get into position to shoot the ball should your man help and you find yourself open for a kickout. He couldn't even do that.. if the ball was thrown to him, he wouldn't have been able to make a quick move with it at all.

When the ball was being taken out, he was almost fighting to be the PG. Why the hell is he trying to grab the ball 80 feet from the basket? You're a SG/SF, run down and get into position to run the offense! It's no wonder Battier said he couldn't beat anybody out.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Knowing what we all have seen in the past history with NBA players who were much more talented than Terrence getting blacklisted for reputation alone, wouldn't you think he would be a little more motivated to-

A. Get off of Twitter (too much that can be taken out of context directed at coaches, derogatory comments about women, and on and on....)
    B. Play hard, even in garbage time
    C. Establish good relations with coaching staff and create positive communication.
    D. Not to pout on the court EVER.

-I know you are obviously a supporter of Terrence Williams and see that alot of fans here are bashing him for one performance, but if you look at his track record in the past, and look at the track record of NBA players getting blacklisted for doing much less, I think you might find out why fans here are concerned about missing out on a talented player or a late 1st round pick next season.

I find it really hard to believe that if this guy does not make it work in Houston that he will ever touch the NBA hardwood again, and that is sad.

1 person likes this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sorry, I am not trying to hostile.

I get EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED when our fans turn on guys. As I have said in the past, you will always find me defending guys who the mob attacks.

I dont know how old you are. But when I was his age I made a ton of mistakes, but it didnt stop me from being successful as I have gotten older/wiser.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The reaction has very little to do with his performance, and everything to do with his crappy attitude. If he just did his job, tried to be part of the team, played hard, then him playing poorly wouldn't be as big an issue. It is his frustrating lack of maturity that is pissing people off. He needs to get the message that the way he's acting isn't doing him any favors.

1 person likes this.
  7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I get that -- but do you expect the Rockets to show that kind of patience with him? It's clear he's not getting off the bench anytime this year. We have his rights for next year as well -- with a new coach, he could get a fresh start.

Ron Artest and Zach Randolph are both guys who made a lot of mistakes with immaturity early in their careers. They've both gotten older/wiser and have really improved their games within the team concept. Terrence could get there.. but it took ZBO/Artest several teams/cities before they finally settled down.

I'm just not confident in Twill's future as a Rocket unless a coaching change is made. He doesn't fit the Adelman offense, but it doesn't mean he's not a talented player. He needs a coach that will give him the ball and put him in pick-and-roll situations.

8. larsv8

I am fine with that.

I am all for "he needs to get the message"

I am not all for: "QUITTER, LOSER, SCRUB, WASTE OF A FIRST ROUND PICK, TRADE HIM, BOOT HIM OUTTA TOWN"

9. Antec

Antec Member

I just wish that everyone who is defending TWILL or defending the idea that you are not supposed to play hard/team ball in garbage time actually watch the game.

If you guys watch how TWILL acted and played during the minutes he had (although garbage time) I think you would at least partially agree with my thread.

Please watch the game first, before you make some of these homer-ish comments.

10. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

There's a difference between making mistakes and being a tool. Iverson's "practice" issue was a mistake. Francis' Super Bowl thing was a mistake. This is a straight up personality flaw. This is what JVG was talking about as the most important thing to avoid when looking at young players.

Btw, stop acting like he's some 19 year old who came to the NBA straight out of HS. There are two guys on this team that are younger than him and are already established rotation players in the NBA.

11. larsv8

I think thats a perfectly reasonable assessment, but thats a far cry from what the overlying theme of this thread is.

And thats all I am trying to promote here: reasonableness

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Bingo, the only upside to this team is young talent that will become stars or that other teams think can become stars.

People say who cares about the 12th man on the team. The problem is we didn't plan to give up a 1st round pick for a 12th man.

It's critical that Terrence Williams becomes an asset, because we don't have many.

13. Antec

Antec Member

What frustrates me is that even middle schoolers or at least high schoolers understand the idea that you need to study hard and do your work to get better grades and do well.

Terrance is what 23? And he seems to not understand the concept that you need to play hard and put in effort to get more time and learn the system. When you play like a slug, you are treated like a slug. :confused:

14. red rocketz

red rocketz Member

i lol'd when he tried to intercept the ball from dragic... hill wouldn't give him the ball for ****

15. Antec

Antec Member

Some people claim that i took a screen shot of that "in the wrong context" and asked me how do i know if hill wasnt trying to pass it to TWILL instead.

Some people think i took these screenshots at times where TWILL wasnt actually lazy or slacking to show how much of a hater i am.

Some people claim that TWILL HANDS ON SIDES = YAO HANDS ON SIDES.

At least you ACTUALLY watched the game :)

1 person likes this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

quoted for truth.Anyone who watched the game would see that Twill is more like Twon't

1 person likes this.
  17. dobro1229

He is 23, but he is on his second team in two seasons clashing with two high profile coaches, one of those being a hall of famer.... Then there is his "free speech" on Twitter.

When I was 23 I did some dumb stuff, but how many 23 year olds in the NBA have been involved in this much controversy in two short seasons while already peaking in athleticism/height/size, etc.

18. dobro1229

Or sat 4 rows behind the bench and watched the look on the coaches face.

19. red rocketz

red rocketz Member

hehehe... ya man, i was watching the game when all this happened, definitely not taken out of context, and hill had gotten the ball again and t-will was wide open on the arc or somewhere and hill wouldn't pass it to him.....

i remember all all these screenshots in live play.... it's all on film if ppl dont wanna believe it haha

20. Victorious

Victorious Member

It is an overreaction. He isn't important to our success this year. As of now, we are not spending any time developing players. And this is just like what, 2 minutes of one game. This thread would have been better if it was a compilation of every TWill games that show him sulking on the court. This is no different than if a fan created a thread praising TWill how he's the next big thing when he shows promise.....in 3 minutes of ONE game.

We thrashed the Pacers, we're 6-1 since the AllStar break, the biggest and most important games of our season is coming up, our guys are playing their best ball of the year and all fans want to talk about is TWill and his 2 minutes. Seriously? And this is not an overreation? LMAO. Oh yeah, I forgot. Negativity runs this board. People don't want to talk about the positive stuff going on. Booooring!