1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Picture settings on a Projection TV.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dnjndmrc5, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

My mom bought a used Hitachi 51S5000 HDTV that is 3 years old. I noticed it does not havea HDMI output on the back so i bought a HDMI To DVI connector.

Does anyone know how to get the best possible picture settings on the TV. I swear it looks like im watching a recorded VHS movie on my tv. It doesnt look High Def at all? Anyone know what brightness, contrast, picture, sharpness, and tint I should use.

The tv has 2 different picture modes. One for day and one for night. The night picture looks darker, but the day picture looks bright but crappy.

Any thoughts?

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

for projection tvs, you definitely need to setup the convergence.
    if the convergence is not setup correctly, then your picture will look blurry.

you'll find it in your menu. basically its getting the crosshairs to line up, those are your color ray guns and they need to align. you need to do this every once in awhile.

i found this under a search for hitachi rear projection tweaks at avsforums

Menu:
    Contrast 35
    Brightness 55
    Color 50
    Tint Mid
    Sharpness 38
    Everything OFF

Make sure you fix the convergence first. there probably is an 'auto focus' or something button on the tv. press that if you are lazy.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Keep the contrast settings low like Tinman suggested, along with setting the convergence.

Also (VERY IMPORTANT), take off the screen and clean the mirrors and projector lenses real good. I clean all of this on my 9 year old Samsung rear projection, at least every other month and my HD picture looks great. You would be surprised how much a little dust affects your picture.