1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PICS: CNT vs Mavericks SL (Yao and Pavel)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WinknCatForever, Jul 2, 2004.

1. WinknCatForever

2. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Thanks. i must say Yao's Upper body lookes pretty big. in a good way!:D

3. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

about that 5th pic:why is Yao sitting on the floor?what happen to seniority?I know, it's a different system.. a different culture..but the guys got a bumfoot..GIVE..HIM..THE ..DAMN..CHAIR!

4. prlen

prlen Member

10$/chair

:D

5. qrui

qrui Member

anyone who's over 300 lbs doesn't get a chair.:D

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

He can have my chair...lol

7. user

user Member

Senior has the privilege to sit on the floor. ;)

But I like the $10/seat explanation better.

[​IMG]

8. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

I've grown accustomed to seeing Yao in a Rocket's jersey. It looks kinda wierd seeing him in another jersey.

9. user

user Member

10. 12345

12345 Member

How can Yao not jump with calf muscles that big?

11. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Damn, talk about junk in the trunk!! Yao's got back :eek:

12. mrgoubople1

mrgoubople1 Member

Enough about how good yao looks, how did he play, how did pavel play?

13. xcharged

xcharged Member

someone know the final score?

14. Sane

Sane Member

85-80 for CNT.

Yao has been workign out. I think he's had some good rest this summer, and will get a little bit more before training camp. That's good. He definitely looks bigger, which is a good thing.

15. prlen

prlen Member

pavel 4pts 2/5-6 3-4 reb

16. prlen

prlen Member

pavel 6pts 4foul

17. droxford

droxford Member

Ya know, there are a LOT of people there for a summer exhibition game.

-- droxford

18. divino25

divino25 New Member

Don't know if it's been posted!

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/basketball/9063921.htm?1c

Yao wows fans in China victory

By Damien Pierce

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Forgive Mavericks point guard Devin Harris.

The rookie hadn't been formally introduced to the giant in the flattop.

Harris breezed past a helpless Chinese defender with an impressive cross-over in the first quarter of Thursday's exhibition game between the Chinese National Team and the Mavericks' Summer League squad, and floated toward the basket with the same poise he showed in college.

There was just one slight issue once the guard reached the rim.

"The problem was Yao Ming," said Harris, who was the No. 5 pick in the 2004 NBA Draft. "The guy is 7-foot-6 and I'm sure he weighs a ton. I don't think I realized how big he was until he came at me. I totally blew the layup after that."

Yao left the Mavericks and Cowtown with quite an impression.

The Houston Rockets center formally greeted Harris and the collection of Mavericks summer leaguers with the same repertoire he has showcased in the NBA the past two years. He guided the Chinese National Team to an 85-80 victory at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum.

Yao impressed a flash-bulb popping crowd of 6,144 fans -- nearly a quarter of which were Asian American -- by dominating inside with 22 points and 11 rebounds.

He came up with a couple of key defensive stops in the final minute to stop the Mavericks.

The only problem he encountered was the left big toe in his size-18 sneakers.

After his dominating performance, Yao left the floor wincing in pain from a ingrown toenail. The big toe, which has half of a nail remaining on it following an exhibition Sunday, required medical attention and Yao wasn't available for postgame comments. He is listed as day-to-day for China's remaining two exhibition games against the Mavericks, which continue Saturday at Moody Coliseum in Dallas.

However, Yao's ailing big toe didn't keep him from leaving an impression on Fort Worth and his fans.

"I don't think Yao is quite up to speed, but he showed off his ability tonight for the fans," Chinese national coach Del Harris said. "Yao's tough. He played with pain tonight and he was a force down the stretch."

The Chinese National Team, which is hoping Yao's talent will be enough to carry it to a medal game in this summer's Olympics, relied on its big man down the stretch.

China's guards fed Yao inside over the final two minutes and watched him work his way repeatedly to the line. He overpowered Mavericks rookie center Pavel Podkolzine and every other blue jersey who got in his way for routine dunks. :D

The center was just as impressive on defense. He stuffed a dunk attempt by Josh Howard in the first quarter that sparked aahs from the crowd and forced two Maverick mishaps in the final minute. He made Mavericks center Justin Brown take an awkward shot with the score tied 76-76 and rejected a Harris pass that was intended for a wide-open Howard, who had 12 points, under the basket. China closed on a 13-4 run.

Yao's performance left a contingent of Chinese fans waving flags and chanting, "China" in the bleachers after the game.

"He's pretty much what you expect," Podkolzine said. "He's so big and I think I learned what I have to look forward to in the league. He's a tough guy to have to face for your first NBA center."

Harris, who could be in line to replace Steve Nash after the veteran signed with the Phoenix Suns on Thursday, didn't recover much from his first Yao confrontation.

The guard led the Mavericks with 15 points, but he only connected on 4 of 13 field goal attempts. He also had six turnovers to go along with three assists.

"I liked what I saw of him," said Mavericks assistant Charlie Parker, who is heading the Mavericks' summer team. "He can shoot and he has some real tenacity on defense. We just got to get him over seeing a big guy like Yao."

19. jelanit

jelanit Contributing Member

I likes me some routine dunks!

20. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member