1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Picking #2, #23 and #24 who do you...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Jun 30, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

One of the players he patterns his game after is Ben Simmons.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Irony that he's got all those J's in his name.

D-rock likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Weird shot and not a lot of attempts but 44% from 3 perks up my attention.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

This is the same as mine.

roslolian likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm Mobley Tribe, but if these 3 are the Rockets picks.

I'm all good.

Deuce and Caesar like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I really like Jackson as well. Trade up from #23 and #24 and give me either Green, Jackson, Jalen Johnson as a Green 3 man combo or Mobley, Kispert, Jalen Johnson as the Mobley 3 man.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't think it's fair to blame his turnovers on his teammates. The video below shows eleven of them in quick succession: traveling, driving into traffic, jumping in the air with no one to pass to, not noticing defenders sneaking up on him (twice in the same game). Not a single charge, which are more forgivable turnovers IMO. He wasn't at Duke very long and had 33 turnovers in total so at least a third were sloppy ones. Without knowing Duke's playbook I'd still say that if his teammates were not in the right spot he shouldn't be making the pass. The man with the ball makes the play.

#450 MrButtocks, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  11. MrButtocks

JT Thor said he watches Durant and Giannis too, that doesn't mean he plays like either of them. Durant and Giannis don't even play like each other. Heck, even Penny and Ben Simmons are very different players!

D-rock likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

“Playmaking is his best skill. Delivers an accurate ball off the bounce and has great court awareness. Would have averaged far more assists if his Duke teammates hit shots. … Has great open-floor speed and athleticism. If his jumper develops, he could thrive in the pick-and-roll, as he has the height to see over the defense and make passes smaller players can’t. … Ineffective shooter with stiff mechanics. Hit more than half his shots off the catch, but his form, low free-throw percentage, and lack of success shooting at lower levels doesn’t inspire much confidence in his potential.” — The Ringer.

The turnovers were not 100% on his teammates for sure but even with his high TOV, Johnson was still a plus on the court on offense and especially defense.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like I said earlier, not every comp is 100% accurate.

But are you seriously being this obtuse about why Johnson has chosen to model his game after Magic, Lebron, Penny and Ben Simmons?

Do you really fail to see the connection at all????

Johnson has legit potential as a point forward.

14. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

My pick for next Thursday night:

2nd pick: Jalen Green
    22 pick: Kia Jones or Isaiah Jackson(we need a big man from this draft)
    23rd pick: Jalen Johnson or Jared Butler or Trae Mann

15. MrButtocks

You said that Aaron Gordon is a lazy comparison for Johnson, that Diaw or Simmons were better ones. I agree with you on Diaw and disagree with you on Simmons. Diaw came into the league as a point guard and really struggled at it, thriving as a frontcourt player for the remainder of his career. While Simmons has some similar physical characteristics to Johnson I think they will play drastically different roles in the NBA. Heck, I see Josh Smith as a better comp for Johnson than Simmons. Sorry we don't agree fully. No one's going to see eye to eye on everything.

D-rock likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Agreed we need the best big man available, obliviously picking Green at second it is even more crucial. Jackson from Kentucky and Thor will be gone by 23rd pick. I wouldn’t mind reaching for Sharpe or the kid from Texas.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

And I already said comparing Isiah Todd's GLeague measurement with his actual height taken during the combine the GLeague measurement isnt accurate. Literally the first thing on my post.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Big issue with JJ is he quit on his team. He does **** like that in college you dont know how he will react once he gets millions. Theres so much talent to choose from no need to deal with potential red flags imo.

Isiah Todd seems like a good pick as well.

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not my intention to offend, if I did so my apologies.

I thought we were discussing potential.

I'm an AG fan but even I can admit that he is not a point forward. He is a secondary playmaker at most.

If anything AG and even Diaw are Jalen Johnson's floor. High TOV rate and limited offensively. Even Cade, right now, has TOV issues.

His median would be a taller Draymond or Julius Randle with defense.

But his ceiling would be Ben Simmons with a 3ball.

Lebron and Magic are/were transcendent running the fast break but they are/were almost as great facilitating in the half court as well.

MrButtocks likes this.