1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Picking #2, #23 and #24 who do you...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Jun 30, 2021.

1. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Um wow can we get this Onu kid? Do we have a second rounder?

Green/Mobley
    Trey Murphy
    Jt Thor
    Onu

Reloaded!!!!

Corrosion, D-rock and saleem like this.
  2. HROZ

HROZ Member

Updated

Mobley or Green at 2. I'm not sure.

Williams & (Thor or Mann) at 23 & 24.
    I really want Zaire.

D-rock and Two Sandwiches like this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If it were me here's what I'd do:

I'd trade Tate for number 13 or number 14, as I think he'd help both those teams and I think both teams are willing to move.

Then I would offer that pick with number two for number one, telling Detroit that's my final offer.

When Detroit didn't accept that my draft would go like this:

Jalen green at 2.
    Corey Kispert at 13 or 14.
    23 is a toss up, but I would take a point guard here in case something goes sour with KPJ. I would take Miles McBride.

I would trade 24 for a second round pick from a fringe playoff team, and get a top 13 protected first for next year. I would use that second round pick on Onu or JT Thor ( I doubt he would be available), and stash them in the G League.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Send House out for Onu. He is fit now, and has been working out.

D-rock likes this.
  5. j@amc

j@amc Member

We're certainly in a position that if we can make a move up, we have to seriously consider every option. But NBA GMs don't seem to trade down and take 2 picks for 1 deal all that often. My guess is we're picking at #23 and 24.

With Tate being 6'4 with a 6'8 wingspan, we have to add size/athleticism. The good news is that this is a draft to do that. The #2 pick (either Mobley or Green) gives you an immediate infusion on that front. Obviously, your D is a whole lot better if you take Mobley. With Green, you'd be adding a lot of scoring punch and a willing defender who has the tools to be better than average.

This brings me to our pair of picks. I would add the BPA with size. I think we'll be picking between Grimes, Springer, Duarte, Ziarie Williams (if he falls), Keon Johnson (if he falls), Sharpe, Thor (maybe).

If you could package our picks and convince someone to take on Gordon and net more talent with size (players like Sengun, Franz Wagner, Moses Moody, or Garuba), why not? Not sure I'd package Tate, but I might pull the trigger if one of those players was available in that #11 to 14 range.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why tf would other teams trade their 13th pick for Tate? Maybe we can trade Wall for Giannis while we're at it.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

[Skipping the Scottie Barnes, Jonathan Kuminga, Franz Wagner, Josh Giddey, Corey Kispert, Chris Duarte portion]

For Your Consideration…Another Jalen – Johnson

Western Conference Executive 3:: He’s a talent. But he’s bounced around to different high schools. Left Duke early. All concerns.

Eastern Conference Executive 3: The big thing I would say about it is the football guys don’t get killed for this. Football guys don’t play in bowl games, don’t play in anything, and they still get drafted — people don’t look at them funny. Why are we penalizing this kid for doing what he thinks is right. I don’t really see him as a wing; I see him as a hybrid, which helps his cause. With his size and strength, athleticism, I see wings in the draft. But he might be at the top of the list of versatile forwards. I’d put him and Scottie Barnes in the same category. They can pretty much guard anybody and they’re skilled enough that they can play two through four. The NBA has kind of revolutionized taking a tight end off the football field. Draymond (Green) would be the poster child for that. Now we have (Scottie Barnes) and this kid and all these guys that fit into that category right now. I think the talent is there and the skill level.

Western Conference Executive 4: He’s a short-contract guy. You have to keep him incentivized to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Alabama’s Herb Jones, Stanford’s Ziaire Williams, Virginia’s Trey Murphy, G League Ignite’s Isaiah Todd and Villanova’s Jeremiah Robinson-Earl

Jonesing

College head coach 2 (his team played Alabama): Best defender in the league, hands down. Cannot go at him in any circumstance. He can defend any player you want. Strong. Doesn’t get posted often. Long arms and taller than he looks on film. Good vision, especially out of post-ups. Likes to drive left and can finish in the paint. Really tough kid. Good rebounder. Weaknesses: just an okay shooter. Has gotten better through the years but not on any volume. Not an elite isolation player or pick-and-roll player. Solid at it but not elite. (We tried to) make him a scorer. When he is getting seven, eight assists, you’re screwed. Be physical. Make him uncomfortable. Don’t get baited into hard closeouts. Make him make five 3s. Get back in transition and stop him. Keep him off the glass.

College assistant coach 4 (his team also played Alabama): That dude, he can do a lot of things. He’s a lefty, he’s long. He impacts the game. Not a great shooter, but he has a lot of ways to impact the game. I don’t know what he is – I don’t know if he’s a wing, I don’t know if he’s a four man. Brought the ball up for them to make plays. I just thought he was a really good college player. To do what he did, I think he was the Defensive Player of the Year and the Player of the Year in the SEC. That’s pretty good. So right away you know he’s a team guy, ’cause he’s doing it at both ends. … Defends one through five. Gets in the passing lanes. He gets to the basket. He can make a 3 here and there. This kid is good, really good. Seems kind of like unassuming. Not a ‘rah-rah’ kind of guy. Just kind of does his thing. Real mature kid.

College assistant coach 5 (his team also played Alabama): I love Herb. In today’s NBA he can do so much. He can play every position. He can get it off the rim. He’s a legit 6-foot-9. I don’t know what they list him at, but he’s 6-foot-9. And he’s a winner.

What Will Ziaire Do?

College assistant coach 2 (his team played Stanford): He reminds me of a poor man’s Rudy Gay. That’s who he should have been this year. He didn’t play that way. He’s just so skinny, he was getting bumped off his spot. But he’s ultra-talented. Obviously, he’s a McDonald’s All-American. Didn’t live up to his high school ranking in college, but I think he projects to be a good pro if he gets the right tutelage and the right team. … (He needs) strength first, then shot selection. The only reason he shot a lot of fadeways and stepbacks was because he was trying to avoid the contact. In high school, he was able to get it off because the contact wasn’t as physical as in college. But he’s a legit 6-foot-8, 6-foot-8 1/2. He’s so long and thin. He’s got a lot of potential. He only played 13 games (last season) with COVID and everything. And he had two deaths in his family.

College assistant coach 3 (his team also played Stanford): He hurt his knee so he was a little banged up. They had unique chemistry issues. … There was some serious jockeying for position, and chemistry-wise, it was just okay. You could see it from the outside. That being said, I thought he was the most versatile because of his skill set. He played on the ball, off the ball. There were some games when he was the dominant scorer, and other games where he was more of a facilitator. But he was still a Bambi. But talented as hell. … It’s one thing to be tall; it’s another to actually play tall. He rebounds. I thought he could, long-term, really be a good defender at multiple positions. Like a talented 3-and-D guy. Close to being a star, but I don’t know if he’ll get to that stage. But he’ll be right under that stage, is the best way to put it.

Uno…Dos…Trey!

College assistant coach 6 (his team played Virginia): Prototypical chance to be a 3-and-D guy. Size, shot, shoots it. The guy had a great year shooting it. Good size. Learned to defend in their system. Not a lot of bounce.

College assistant coach 7: He’s a multi-positional guy, in terms of guarding. He was a really good catch-and-shoot guy. When his feet are set, he can make shots. Now, on the move, (it’s) a little different. I don’t know if you’re going to fly off of screens and do that. But as far as being able to catch and shoot, he can do that. Straight-line driver. Really good off of two feet; not so good off of the one foot. Finisher. If he can gather himself, he can meet you at the rim and go up and over you. Hard worker. Gym rat. He’s got the ability to switch and guard, I think, one through four, off of ball screens and in the halfcourt. You get (Russell) Westbrook coming at him full speed, nobody can do that. But switching, being able to stay in front. The thing on the switch is if he’s on a two or three and he’s got to keep one of them big, physical, four men off the glass, that’s going to be a battle.

College head coach 1 (his team played Virginia): Terrific shooter, good size, could be along the lines of Duncan Robinson. He’s not going to put it on the ground, but he’s used to using screens and running off of screens. Not quite the catch-and-shoot from distance like Duncan Robinson, but these kids, they’ll get better. They get to the NBA and figure out how to score and stuff.

Talkin’ Todd

G League assistant coach: I don’t think people understand how big this kid is. He’s big as ****. He’s 6-foot-10, 7-foot something wingspan, can run, jump, has a great motor. … He wants to be really good. He’s been around Rasheed Wallace and Michael Beasley. That’s helped him have a better mindset and approach to the game. He’s the one who’s going to surprise people, because everybody underestimated him. … What was really great about him was (Ignite Coach Brian) Shaw had to play him with the vets. He got his stuff off the vets better because he gets into the right spaces. He’s going to set the pick and he’s going to pop and they’re going to get him the pass.

He played better with the vets. He brought him off the bench because he was better with the veteran lineup, and he gave that lineup more energy. He was really good with Amir (Johnson). Playing with a good team and good players, he’ll play his role. … he just has to mature (physically). But he’s going to be fine with that. He can switch. He’s a good shot blocker off the ball and as a primary defender. He’s competitive. He’s not going to not jump ’cause he doesn’t want to get dunked on. You dunk on him, he’ll say ‘that was a good one.’ He’ll laugh at himself. But that’s not going to deter him from jumping the next time.

Another (Super)’Nova?

College assistant coach (his team played Villanova): I absolutely love him. I think he was a terrific college player. Just a matchup guy. Knows how to play. He’s tough. Those Villanova guys, that’s their culture. They play hard. They know how to play. He’s going to find a way, figure it out. Great rebounder. Can make the midrange. Can make 3s. People say ‘what is he? What position is he? ‘When I look at the NBA, I don’t know if guys even have positions. I just think he can do a little bit of everything. I’m a big fan of his.

They used him all over the floor. They would use him at the four spot, the five. When he’s at the five, obviously, they’re going to pick and pop him. Then they ran isos for him in the mid-post area, isos for him at the nail, ’cause he can quick-rip it and pass it. He can make shots, midrange shots. They utilized his skill set to the utmost. At the other end, he was a little undersized, but he was so tough. He figured out how to get to the ball. He runs down, rebounds. Just plays so hard. Competes at a high level. … He came in with a lot of hype. Could have went to Kansas, probably. Fit right into their culture of ‘team first.’ He checks a lot of boxes for me.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

One Liners, Two Rounds

JT Thor, Auburn

College head coach 2 (his team played Auburn): He is long and athletic. Potential to be a good perimeter ballhandler. He shoots it decently. Not lethal but it’s not broken. He’s way longer in person than on film. Great athlete. Potential to guard one through five. Good offensive rebounder. Doesn’t quite have an elite skill. Good at a lot of stuff, not great. Doesn’t have a great inside game. More perimeter-oriented. Could be more physical. We wanted to take away his offensive rebounding and transition points for sure. Tried to make him a scorer and playmaker. Still raw but has a lot of potential.

College head coach 3 (his team also played Auburn): He was supposed to be in high school last year. He had 26 points (Editor’s Note: 24) against Kentucky as an 18-year-old. He was supposed to be at Norcross High School (in Georgia) last year. He’s a freak. Ridiculous length. Better, more athletic Wenyen Gabriel. All he needs is more size and strength.

Sam Hauser, Virginia

College head coach 1 (his team played Virginia): Interesting. I don’t know. He can make 3s, he’s got good range, good size, he’ll defend a little bit. I don’t think he’s a three and he’s too small to be a four.

Joe Wieskamp, Iowa

College assistant coach 1 (his team played Iowa): His numbers, his measurements at the pre-draft camp were off the charts. (Wieskamp had a 42-inch vertical jump in Chicago) His wingspan (6-foot-11). Much taller (6-foot-7 1/4) than people thought he was. Jumping ability. The kid has always been a very, very good shooter. Had he played on a team that didn’t have (Luka) Garza and (Jordan) Bohannon, who took a lot of shots, he would even have had a much higher scoring average. He plays very well at both ends. He takes pride in his defense. But he’s known as a shooter. Comes off down screens. He’s going to have to learn to run a lot of screen and roll with him dribbling. They pin down for him or drive and kick to him.

Trendon Watford, LSU

College head coach 3 (his team played LSU): I think he’s a ****ing winner. The biggest issue is he can’t shoot it consistently. And it’s always been his bugaboo. And it’s just not gone away. He cannot shake that. But he can really play. He can really take it to the basket. Can really finish. Can put it down with either hand. Decent float game. He can pass the ball. He does a great job with his pump fake at drawing fouls. He can play facing or with his back to the basket. I think he’s going to wind up a decent defender at a bunch of positions. He’s got a high IQ. But he’s never believed in that jump shot, or that free throw. But I really like him. I like his toughness, I like his confidence.

College head coach 2 (his team also played LSU): Can do a little bit of everything. Can make shots if you give him space, can drive it if you close out too hard, can post up as well. Underrated passer. Good rebounder especially at the offensive end. Can draw fouls. Plays with a bravado. Not overly athletic. Struggled to just blow by guys. Tried to use brute strength. Shot a lot of floaters. Good at them but should be more aggressive. Not all that interested on the defensive end. Do not foul. Good foul shooter. Make him be a shooter off the bounce. No catch-and-shoot but do not let him get by you. Keep him off the offensive glass. Bother his dribble he will turn it over. Attack him on the other end. They did a good job hiding him defensively this year with the matchup zone.

Isaiah Livers, Michigan

College assistant coach 1 (his team played Michigan): One of the main reasons Michigan didn’t go further and did not win the Big Ten and go further was because they couldn’t overcome his injury. …He’s had multiple injuries in his career. Earlier in his career, he was injured. But the guy’s played even better than I thought he would play. He really turned into a great player for them when he was healthy. He attacks in transition. He’s got very good leaping ability. He can make 3s. Has a great frame to him. Seems like he was okay to coach. It was a big loss for them. I heard he’s back playing now, but just recently.

Romeo Weems, DePaul

College assistant coach 4 (his team played DePaul): He’s a good athlete, but I don’t think he’s like, the guy right now. He needs more seasoning, more college. Just more of a potential guy to follow up on. Good athlete. Good size for the wing spot. Can make a 3 here and there.

Aaron Henry, Michigan State

College assistant coach 1 (his team played Michigan State): By far their best player on a down team. Good midrange. Decent 3-point shooter, but midrange and getting the ball to the rim off the dribble drive was his forte. They got hot late in the year and saved their streak of getting in the tournament. And he carried them. He was by far their best clutch player. I think he had a love-hate relationship with (Tom) Izzo. But he’s a good player. He’s been coached hard, that’s the thing I love about him. And he’s a winner.

D.J. Stewart, Mississippi State

College head coach 3 (his team played Mississippi State): Left and lefter guy. He goes left, and then he goes lefter. He’s got a great float game. Long, athletic. Makes tough shots. Excellent driver. Can put it on the floor with either hand. Does a great job of probing with angles. Have to square him up. Doesn’t play above the rim. He’s an improved catch-and-shoot guy. Can score off of pindowns. A year ago, it was all off the bounce. Last year, he became a better catch-and-stick guy.

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This draft is deep in the sense that there's a few guards that could be Allstars. Unfortunately they're like 6 to 6"4 in height. I'll swing for the fences and get all of them. Springer, Green, and Josh Christopher.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Feigen:

2. Rockets | Jalen Green, 6-5, G, G League Ignite

As much as has been said about the relative strength at the top of the draft, there is a great deal of uncertainty – though for very different reasons – about each of the top prospects. Green is coming off an abbreviated season in the first year of the G League’s select prospects program. But that did give him a chance to showcase some offensive polish and enormous potential to go with his celebrated athleticism. Even if the Rockets prefer Cunningham, they would have to weigh whether the potential benefits of pursuing one top prospect over another would be enough to merit loading up an offer.

23. Rockets (from Portland) | Tre Mann, 6-5, G, Florida

As determined as general manager Rafael Stone has been to not show his hand, he did say on Wednesday that he would make his picks without regard to need or fit. Mann improved greatly in his second season and showed he can be a versatile enough scorer to work with the guards already on the roster or potentially added early in the first round. There could be a variety of guards on the board when the Rockets are on the clock, including Jaden Springer, Cameron Thomas, Nah’Shon Hyland and Joshua Primo.

24. Rockets (from Milwaukee) | Isaiah Jackson, 6-10, C, Kentucky

The Rockets could seek to use their multiple picks to move up or to move out to get an extra pick in a future draft. If they do use both late first-round picks, they would find a variety of players that would have to make their way into an already crowded backcourt, testing Stone’s determination to choose talent rather than fit. Jackson would not seem in line with the Rockets’ preference for range shooting and a five-out offense, far from Jackson’s skillset. But his strengths could be good value in this range and even in the small-ball season, the Rockets sought a rim-running option. They could go a very different direction such as Isaiah Todd or just take another scoring guard.

D-rock likes this.
  11. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

If we're taking Green at #2. I rather than Springer or McBride over Mann (based on Feigen mock draft). And I rather take that Ura kid with 7
    8" wingspan over Jackson.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

GLeague measurement isnt accurate. Isiah Todd is 6'10 in GLeague but combine height is 6'8.75 without shoes.

Kuminga didnt get measured but everyone else lists him at 6'8, I'm assuming he is 6'7 without shoes. He is different from Faried in the sense Kuminga does have ball handling and mid range skills. Kuminga is also unique cuz he skipped final year of high school and went straight to GLeague ignite. He is basically in Chet Holmgren's class but went up a year AND played in the GLeague vs grown ass men. Thats why his stats look terribad I mean put Holmgren in Gleague last year I dont think he will do great.

He should be beating up on high school kids and be battling with Holgren and Banchero for that top spot.

#432 roslolian, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

According to his G league measurement, Kuminga is 6'6

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't think Johnson's a good enough ball handler to be compared to Simmons. Simmons is crafty enough to be a full-time PG and utilizes his control to punish defenders both in transition and full court, at least before the Hawks series where he seemed to be scared to have the ball at all. Simmons drew 9 FTA per game at LSU as his defenders were often off balance. Johnson doesn't use more than a basic crossover to get past his man. I never saw him use a euro step, in and out dribble, or spin more to free himself up so I'm not sure if he's got that in his bag. Even without trying more advanced offensive moves he's a turnover machine, averaging 2.5 in 21mpg which is terrible.

I think Diaw is a great comp if you're talking about Phoenix smallball 5. I think Johnson's best position would be the 5 for mismatch potential. I don't see a lot of centers keeping up with him.

D-rock likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock likes this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not my idea. I think Bima Thug may have been the first to suggest it.

17. alethios

alethios Member

Ayo Dosunmu. This kid looks interesting but is projected 2nd round
    Ayo Dosunmu - NBADraft.net

NBA Comparison; Delon Wright
    Strengths: Elite production and star player for Illinois who was a finalist for the Wooden Award in his junior season … Ball-handling and quick first step create space and open up scoring opportunities. Also incorporates a good step-back three pointer where he shot 39% in his final season on high volume … Great court vision and passer who averaged over five assists per game. Also attacks the glass and rebounds well with over six rebounds per game. Showcased all of this with two triple doubles in his final season which ranked second in the nation … Late-game performer who drained several clutch shots throughout his career … Crafty finisher at the rim with various moves to fend off big men in the paint … Attacks at all three levels and has a threatening mid-range jumper that can pull bigs out of the paint to open up space for cutters or allow him to get to the basket with speed … Shot nearly 50% from the field despite 15 shots per game in junior season … Good decision maker in PNR action with patience and creativity to keep defenders guessing … Great frame on offense for a ball-handling point guard at 6’5, 200 pounds … Drew contact in the lane and was able to get to the line frequently with over five attempts per game … Averaged over one steal per game as a pesky defender who improved from year to year … Prolific scorer who averaged over 20 points per game leading the Fighting Illini to a Big Ten Championship and #1 seed in the 2021 NCAA Tournament

Weaknesses: Lacks elite athleticism and speed that he must make up for with ball-handling and a quick first step … While he had a high usage rate and averaged over five assists per game, 3.3 turnovers per game are still concerning and will have to improve if he is going to get consistent minutes at the next level … Since he lacks top-end speed with the ball, bulking up would go a long way to transform himself into a two-dimensional ball-handler who can get to the lane with strength and a quick first step … Good but not great free-throw shooter at only 78% as a junior and 75% for his career … Experienced three-year starter, but one of the older tier-2 point guards in the draft at age 21. Daishen Nix, Josh Giddey, Tre Mann, and Sharife Cooper are all at least a year younger …

D-rock and BamBam like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jalen Johnson gives me Ben Simmons vibes, but more upside offensively.

Herb Jones reminds me so much of Draymond Green, moreso than Scottie Barnes. Jones is underrated passer.

Thinking of Isaiah Todd as wing instead of a big makes much more sense.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like Simmons, JJ is best with the ball in transition. But JJ is much better off ball player in half court.

Agree that JJ is not as physical or as developed footwork, especially in traffic.

As for the TOV, that Duke team was pretty bad. They fumbled a lot of passes and were often not in the right spots when JJ was making the correct read.

Very similar to situation with Cade at OK ST last season.

That said, no player comp is going to be 100% accurate.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I love the 3-D wings, maybe my favorite position to research.

JT Thor getting so much recent pub, almost overrated. Still a favorite.

Wisekamp is extremely underrated. Will be a much better NBA player with all the spacing he will see. Prolific and deadly accurate from 3.

Biggest under the radar guy is Isaiah Livers. He does everything really well.

roslolian likes this.