1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Pick] Top 10 NBA Power Rankings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NL Rocket, Jul 22, 2014.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

So much people angry over the Mavs @ 4 and Cavs at 7, why don't we just give our own top 10 and look back on it during the season so we can see who was 'right' ;)

Mine:

1. Spurs - Basically have the same team and I see no reason to dethrone them as of yet.

2. Cavaliers - Yes, Lebron is that good and with the addition of Wiggins, Miller and possible Ray Allen, they are definitely the favourites in the East. If they get Love, they would surely be #1.

3. Thunder - Toss up between them and Clippers, but had Ibaka not been injured, who knows what would've happened. Add in the fact that Durant is possibly getting better, no more Thabo and getting Morrow is probably enough to stay #2 in the West.

4. Clippers - The addition of Hawes is big, I like the guy a lot! They were already scary and this makes them even scarier. However, losing Collison could be big since Farmar is a flat out terrible player. Their playoff run was also not that impressive and I don't see them beating OKC in the playoffs, even with Hawes.

5. Blazers - Picked up some veterans in Kaman and Steve and only look to lose Mo Williams. Add the playoff experience, the fact that Lilliard is definitely going to get better, Aldridge is probably very motivated and the playoffs provided very positive signs. Last but not least, Lopez was in top 5 of impact on defensive end as a big man so they should be great next year. Bear in mind, they had serious injury problems last year as well.

6. Bulls - This is going to be a fun team to watch, finally got rid of Boooooozer, added Pau, Brooks and possibly a healthy Rose for the whole season. Still, Rose staying healthy is a big IF and bringing Taj off the bench another year is not a positive sign per se since he could be a starter on many teams.

7. Heat - Losing Lebron is big, huge, monstrous. Say goodbye to championship aspirations, but with adding Deng, McRoberts and resigning Wade and Bosh, no way they slip out of the top 5 in the East. The reason I put them over the rest in the East is because the Pacers lost Lance and had problems, the Hornets nor Wizards, despite making solid moves, are not ready to overtake a Bosh, Wade & Deng trio just yet.

8. Rockets - Replacing Parsons with Ariza is probably not such a bad thing. Not having signed a single other significant other veteran is very troubling since we lost Asik & Lin. I love Daniels, but you never know if he can handle big minutes, especially with our already shaky wing defense.
    If we can sign Marion and a Jermaine Oneal I would feel a little better. The biggest dissapointment outside of the 'thrash trio' home coming, is we still have a terrible coaching staff. Getting a Hollins would've also made me feel a lot better about our chances, because honestly: I don't see Harden making any improvements or changes to his game to stop relying on the whistle.

9. Warriors - I love Livingston and he still has some game, played nicely with the Nets last year and is an upgrade over Blake. If they can resign JO and he gives them what he gave them last year + the team stays injury free they could possibly be on the rise to the top of the west. The biggest knock on them: not trying to go harder for Love and having to start over with an unproven coach. I see Kerr as a very smart basketball guy, but I don't see it working out until maybe the end of the season / 2nd year.

10. Wizards - Re-signing Gortat was huge, losing Ariza is going to hurt but I think Pierce is going to be big come playoff time. The Hornets could be top 4, but though I believe Lance & Big Al is a dangerous combo, there's still not enough shooting and veterans on that team.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Spurs - until I see a decline I'm not predicting it
    Thunder - no explanation needed
    Cavs - Lebron
    Clips - no explanation needed
    Bulls - biggest wildcard, could be a top 5 team or somewhere in the 10-15 range, all on Rose.
    Rockets - call me a homer, I just don't see a big drop off from last year
    Warriors - health is their wildcard. They get a year health wise like Portland last year and they could come out ahead of us.
    Mavs - overhyped but still should be pretty damn good
    Grizz - them and the heat feel like the 2 most underrated/overlooked teams
    Heat - see above

*Blazers come in 11th I just don't see them getting the same health luck 2 years in a row.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

1) Spurs
    2) Cavs
    3) Clippers
    4) Thunder
    5) Blazers
    6) Bulls
    7) Warriors
    8) Mavs
    9) Rockets
    10) grizzlies

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

LMA missed 13 games. The other 4 starters played in 82/82 games. Their main guys off the bench didnt miss much time either. They might have been the most healthy team last year, if not one of the healthiest.

5. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

this.

If I remember correctly, I saw a stat during the playoffs that said they had the healthiest regular season EVER. in terms of fewest starting lineups used and combined games missed by their starters.

Honestly 1 major injury and they could fall out of the playoff race altogether (granted, this is true for nearly every team), however, they were extremely fortunate in regards to injuries last year.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

1. OKC. A year better + I really like Morrow for them.
    2. Spurs. Just can't duplicate that incredible season. +age and stuff (I know, I know).
    3. Bulls. Rose puts a whole season together and they beat up on the (L)east.
    4. Clippers. 2nd year with Doc will be pretty scary, but if this court stuff lingers and Doc leaves, drop them significantly.
    5. Rockets. I know I am a hopeless homer, but they had a great record last year and I really do think Howard and Harden will be better together in year 2. Also think Ariza has a decent year + we are not done.
    6. Cavs. I am not voting any higher than this b/c it will still take some time for everyone to adjust. Even the first year Heat had some kinks.
    7. Grizz. Great home court again + Vince will be just what they need for a better record. Predicting they avoid the injury bug this year.
    8. Blazers. Lillard gets a year better and LMA at his peak.
    9. Heat. Playing for pride, they surprise a little. Wade has his last decent year, and Bosh reasserts himself.
    10. Pelicans. The defense is just too good this year, and the 'brow understands how good he is finally.

Noticeably absent in my predictions:
    *Warriors: Steph finally comes back his normal ankle health. Sadness. Kerr struggles.
    * Mavs: still betting them as 8th best in the west. Not top 10 material overall. Dirk has a tough year and the personalities don't mesh well.
    * Pacers: the mysterious hangover continues, but now without the athleticism and energy of Lance.

7. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Spurs(obligatory)
    Thunder
    Clippers
    Bulls
    Cavs
    Rockets
    Warriors
    Wizards
    Blazers
    Heat

8. slestack11

slestack11 Member

1. Oklahoma City Thunder - Didn't really get better, but nobody at top got that much better either. Heat got worse.
    2. Cleveland Cavs - Lebron factor, Wiggins or Love, and mercenaries following (Miller, Allen)
    3. LA Clippers - Spencer Hawes is a nice under the radar signing as it fills a big hole from last year. Griffin and Deandre Jordan continue to improve consistency under Rivers. If Sterling blows up though, they fall out of top 10.
    4. San Antonio Spurs - Age finally catches up with Spurs.
    5. Miami Heat - Luol Deng is a nice back-fill considering they lost Lebron. DWade will have bigger season next year. Bosh will put up numbers like the Bosh from Toronto.
    6. Dallas Mavs - Parsons is a better signing than people realize. Plus, Mavs added Tyson Chandler and Jameer Nelson to a team that pushed Spurs to 7 games last year.
    7. Portland Trailblazers - Lillard confidence grows to the size of his shoe deal. Kaman and Blake add good depth off the bench. Aldridge continues to improve as elite power forward.
    8. Chicago Bulls - Doug McBuckets is going to be huge this year. Gasol will step up and Noah/Gibson will always keep team in contention.
    9. Houston Rockets - Harden will put up numbers in the regular season, but once playoffs start, they don't call as many flop fouls which hurts him. Dwight Howard is one year older and back worsens. Parsons was really big part of Rockets success and will be missed. Ariza is better defender, but has tendency to slack off after signing new deals.
    10. LA Lakers - sleeper - Julius Randle is a lot better than people realize. He will be huge next season if given chance. Add Jeremy Lin, Carlos Boozer, Jordan Hill, Ed Davis, Xavier Henry, Swaggy P, and Wes Johnson and, barring injury, Kobe could be pleasantly surprised at success.

Biggest fall from grace = Indiana Pacers - Losing Stevenson is like Rockets losing Parsons. Hibbert worked out with Kareem this offseason so I'm not factoring him having comeback season though.

9. newAge_Rockets

Lol, the Lakers at 10? You think they are better than Memphis or Golden State? Or Phoenix? They don't have proven players, Kobe is coming off major injury and he has a lot of mileage. They'd be lucky to land at number 10 in just the west.

10. newAge_Rockets

Terrence Jones and Randle are very similar. Why would Randle have more success???

11. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

:rolleyes:

13. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

2013 join date, Lakers at 10, Mavs over Rockets. I think you may have gotten lost on the way to the exit a few weeks ago, here let me help you out.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewforum.php?f=1

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

1- clip&OK
    2-Spur
    3-rocks
    4-Cav.
    Dont care whose behind

15. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

1-spurs
    2-Cavs
    3-thunder
    4-clippers
    5-rockets
    6-grizzlies
    7-blazers
    8-bulls
    9-warriors
    10-raptors

16. Mr Chuck Norris

I think the Hornets with Al, Voleh, MKG, Stephenson and walker are as good as any other team in the east and I definitely have them above Miami.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Cavs
    Spurs
    Clippers
    OKC
    Pacers - DAMN, everybody in this thread forgot about them.
    Blazers
    Rockets
    Warriors
    Mavs
    Heat/Bulls

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Clippers could drop way down if sterling is still there and doc and Paul sit out. Could be a nightmare season for them.

Which would be really good for us... ;)

19. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

1. Spurs - They get this spot because they're the champions.

2. Thunder - Despite being together for a while, their main core is still young and improving, specially big men Ibaka and Adams. Having the MVP doesn't hurt either.

3. Clippers - Really like the Spencer Hawes addition for them, having a back up center with the diverse skill set of Hawes is a big advantage off the bench, which was one of their main weaknesses last year.

4. Bulls - Got a lot better with the additions of Gasol and Mirotic, not to mention Derrick Rose. To me if Rose is remotely healthy, they're the clear favorites in the east, and it's not even close.

5. Rockets - Got better defensive personnel in the starting lineup with Trevor Ariza, without losing to much on the offensive end either. Also another year of Harden and Dwight should just naturally make this team a lot better.

6. Blazers - They stayed relatively the same, but I don't think they'll catch teams by surprise this upcoming year, like they did last year.

7. Cav's - They have talent, but their talent is extremly young and inexperience. Hell, the sole reason that they're even in the top 10 power ranking is because of Lebron James, otherwise they would be lottery bound yet again.

8. Warriors - Relatively the same team, but with an aging front court that includes the often injured Andrew Bogut and the 31yr old David Lee. Never the less, their back court of Curry and Thompson are more then good enough to have them in the thick of things in the western conference.

9. Grizzlies - A healthy Gasol and Randolph cambo is still probably the most physical frontcourt in the NBA, but their ability to score from the perimeter is still a point of concern. They added Vince Carter, but at this point of his career his more of a role player and not someone you can count on to put up big numbers.

10. Toronto - Their strong at almost every position, without being elite in any of them, and competing the (L)eastern conference should have them in the top 3 or 4. Also people should keep an eye out for Valanciunas, dude could have a breakout year this upcoming season.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don't think anyone forgot the pacers. Look at how they finished the regular season. Going far in the playoffs in the east doesn't mean much with the level of competition they faced. Their offense was awful and their best playmaker just left. I don't see them as a top 10 team next year. Could be wrong, but I put them in the 11-15 range.