1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pick a prospect...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SupermoochieFro, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Between this and Humber, maybe declare whatever prospects we're gonna get for Norris as trash. ;)

2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

well to be fair his walk numbers have stayed the same, so you are half right :p
    Ha, sadly I also picked seaton on my list.

3. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Haha. That is what worries me slightly still about him... he works out of so many of his own jams.

4. htownbball

htownbball Member

Vincent Velasquez. I think he'll be a good one

5. Buck Turgidson

6. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Travis Ballew may be my new pick now that Cisnero is at the major league level. The dude is just striking people out AT WILL in Lancaster. He has a 59 K to 10 walk ratio... as a reliever! And mind you, that was in 36 2/3 innings of work... that's 14.5 Ks/9. Good Lord. His ERA is a pedestrian 4.66, but if you take out the game where he gave up 6 ER in .1 innings of work, he has a 3.22 ERA in Lancaster after having a sub 2 ERA last year after being drafted and sent to Tri City.

He is 22 years old, so he is a little old for the league, but I would like to see him in CC after some moves are made. This guy could be devastating at the end of games.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

I raise you Orlando Miller.

8. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

My claim to Astros fame is accidentally dropping my glove onto the Astrodome outfield during a game. I was six years old, maybe. They had to stop play and James Mouton came over to grab it and throw it back to me.

Got on the big screen too. It was a brilliant strategy.

9. codell

codell Member

I raise you Ty Gainey and Cameron Drew.

10. raining threes

I raise you Danny Heep, who was traded for Mike Scott.

11. Buck Turgidson

Eric Anthony hit by far the longest HR I ever saw an Astro hit in the Dome.

Mike Piazza off of Wagner to dead CF Mezzanine was the only one comparable that I saw in person.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

I remember those.

Neither will compare to the jack that Jose Canseco had that landed in the way upper deck at the SkyDome in Toronto.

13. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Anyone remember Sean Berry's shot that hit a speaker at the dome?

14. Mashing

Mashing Member

The longest has to be the one (name escapes me at the moment, he was on the Brewers at the time) that hit the center field flagpole at MMP. I swear that ball was STILL rising when it hit. But even if it wasn't it was hit about 20-25ft up that pole. That's atleast a 450-460ft home run. Although, dome shots are more impressive as there's no elements affecting the flight of the ball, so maybe not.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Richie Sexson.

16. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

^ I was at the Richie Sexson game.

17. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Richie Sexson blast (was actually a double if I recall since that pole is in play)

18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

New year, new prospects? I suppose Sanudo's already been spoken for, but he's surely on our radars now.

For my first pick, I'll go with... Kyle Westwood. His 0.81 ERA would've led the New York-Penn League last season. Westwood sported a 63.2% groundball rate last season, according to MLBFarm, and had a 2.09 groundout/airout ratio.

Next pick is Ravel Santana. This former top prospect has had a rough go with injuries as of late. Now in a new organization, he's got the chance for a fresh start.

Third on my list is Brian Holmes. This 2012 13th-rounder has excelled... when he's been healthy. I think he's one of the better prospects in a position that's still rather thin in the system. Here's hoping for a healthy 2014 for this southpaw.

My 4th pick is Brett Phillips. He was just rated as having the best outfield arm in the entire system. Phillips may have the makings of a leadoff hitter. He's got a pretty good eye at the plate, may grow into some power, and he does have the requisite speed for the #1 spot; he just needs to refine his baserunning.

And finally, I pick Jandel Gustave. He's got the electric arm, and the serious control issues to go along with it. Gustave had some electric starts for Greeneville; in his 2nd start last year, he no-hit Kingsport for 6 innings. As long as he continues to slash that walk rate, he's got the potential to make some noise in this system.

19. juicystream

juicystream Member

I'll wait for BA's handbook to see who is outside the top 30.

Are you ordering from BA?

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member