1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Piatkowski likes deal by Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by room4rentsf, Jul 16, 2004.

1. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Member

The Omaha World-Herald
    July 7, 2004

Eric Piatkowski came to Houston from the Los Angeles Clippers, so the Rockets' 45-37 record last season seemed like NBA nirvana to the former Nebraska star.

But hold on there, Mr. Sharpshooter. Maybe it gets even better.

Piatkowski has a bigger reason to believe he latched on with the right team after Houston's blockbuster trade for Tracy McGrady. It shows a commitment by the Rockets that the veteran appreciates more than ever.

"When you're young, you think an awful lot about yourself, concerns about playing time and statistics and contracts," Piatkowski said. "But I'm going into my 11th year, and the only thing that matters at this time is winning. I want to be with the teams that are playing at the end of May and the beginning of June."

As long as Houston's next deals don't involve Piatkowski, the 6- foot-7 shooting guard can envision playing for his first 50-win team. The Western Conference is loaded, but he thinks the Rockets can continue to gain on teams like Sacramento, Minnesota, San Antonio and the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I don't think we're far off at all," Piatkowski said Sunday from his Omaha home. "They went out and said this is what we need to do. Granted, you don't know what kind of chemistry you're going to have when you add new guys, but I know we got guys who all want to win."

Houston rocked the National Basketball Association world last Tuesday by bringing McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines from Orlando. It came with a price as the Rockets gave up their starting backcourt of Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley, along with Kelvin Cato.

Piatkowski said it would have been tough to pass up a chance to land the player he calls "probably the second-best overall, all- around player in the game right now" behind Kobe Bryant. With center Yao Ming and McGrady, Piatkowski said the Rockets possess an inside- outside combination that rivals Shaquille O'Neal and Bryant during their Laker heydays.

Piatkowski, 33, also can sympathize with McGrady, whose seven seasons at Orlando produced no 45-win totals and no trips past the first round of the NBA playoffs. In nine seasons with the Clippers, Piatkowski played on teams that went a combined 220-486.

"His whole train of thought right now is he wants to win," Piatkowski said. "He basically hand-picks the Rockets as a team he thinks can win a championship for him. So everybody's really excited to have him."

Piatkowski believes the Rockets will be making more moves. Despite obtaining Lue, also a former Husker, Houston is expected to pursue a veteran point guard.

Piatkowski has two years left on his three-year, $8.5 million contract, but his 2003-04 numbers -- 4.1 points a game, 14.1 minutes, 35.3 percent on 3-pointers -- were below his career averages. He was limited to 50 games by ankle problems and is recovering from surgery.

But he wants to remain part of what Houston's building.

"I'm frustrated about the season I had, but that's over," Piatkowski said. "Life goes on. I'm getting back to 100 percent now and I feel good about that."

(C) 2004 Omaha World-Herald. via ProQuest Information and Learning Company; All Rights Reserved

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7480102

*you have to register to read the whole article so I posted it all here.

2. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Member

I was bored and wasnt finding any new Rox info ... when I came across this and never saw this posted here.

J

3. swooh

swooh Member

if only pike's opinion mattered...:rolleyes:

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i thought we won 46 games last year?

"Eric Piatkowski came to Houston from the Los Angeles Clippers, so the Rockets' 45-37 record last season seemed like NBA nirvana to the former Nebraska star. "

5. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

appreciated it.

6. MemphisX

MemphisX Member

There is another team you guys need to gain on....:D

7. Mori

Mori Member

Dallas?

:p

8. sup123

sup123 Member

article said pike had surgery so maybe the injury did really effect him.

9. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Just put the ball in the basket Pike and then you'll keep your job. I really hope he does get back his shooting touch because the Rockets are going to need his shooting next season.

10. yao ming

yao ming Member

I think Pike is going to be the most pleasant surprise of this upcoming season.

11. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

Sacramento
    Dallas
    Denver
    Minny
    San Antonio
    LA
    Utah

am I missing something here? :)

12. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Dont Underestimate How those Injuries effected Pike Last Season. a shooter needs his back and knees fully fit to be able to be effective. i expct a much, much better Season from Pike.

13. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Member

im glad to hear he's feeling on his way up to par. gotta love his attitude. thats not as impoartant as burying three's, but precious, nonetheless.

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Well, I'm glad Pike's happy.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if he wasn't happy, would he have demanded a trade?

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Glen Rice Syndrom?.. lets Hope Not.

17. Cohen

Cohen Member

Don't like Memphis?

18. Cohen

Cohen Member

Nice find room4rentsf.

I thought that he must have been hobbled last year. I hope that he's hungry this year; he can really light it up.

19. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

naw..just messing around :)

20. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Aww man, you ruined the joke!