1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PHX pursuing Trevor Ariza (UPDATE: Ariza signs one-year, $15M deal with Phoenix)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 30, 2018.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Trevor has been nothing but aaa true professional for us. I had my reserves when we lost Parsons and picked him up instead but he quickly proved to me Morey made the right decisions! When he comes to Houston he deserves a standing ovation. Like Beverly that man gave his entire body and soul on the court. Man cried because he was just dead exhausted and gave everything he had. Some of us have had work days like that. I love Houston but 15 million dollars for 1 year at his age...? He would have been a fool to not take that. Hell I'd do alot of things for 15 million dollars. Anyone who says they wouldn't is lying!

luckyman76, Deuce, GotGame15 and 9 others like this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

Foolishness. How has Carmelo been a cancer in OKC? People just make silly assumptions based off the perception of a player. I actually think Melo could come here and be contributing factor and beating GS

3. Asian Sensation

Also want to add that I’d take a look and seriously consider Dante Exum if he can be had for cheap which he should be. I know some people think he sucks but I wouldn’t be give up on him. He’s not quite 23 yet, has good size and athleticism. Utah used him primarily as a backup PG but I don’t think that’s a good position for him. I think we can mold him into a better 3. He has the tools to be a really good defender imo.

His 3 pointer obviously needs work but for his price range everyone has holes/weaknesses. For what he lacks in shooting the deep ball he has the handles to drive to the hoop and finish or create for others. He also seems to have good ball IQ and moves well without the ball. Offensively, Ariza was pretty offensive when his shot was off since he didn’t have the handles to consistently get by his man and drive to the hoop and finish or draw a foul. I feel like sometimes Harden had no other choice to play ISO ball especially when CP3 was out and everyone would stand around and watch him from beyond the arc cause they couldn’t make a play to the hoop.

I think Exum is a potential diamond in the rough candidate. Could be like when Lowry first came to Houston. Not saying he will pan out but definitely has the intangibles/tools/youth to make it happen.

joshuaao, hongxingli and ashleyem like this.
  4. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

0-9 can't create off dribble.. Looks like a Duck when he trys to take his Man to the hole.. give me Tyreke anyday..

rockets1995, Stormy1234 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol, dun we all need to feed our families better? Last big contract before you know, retirement.

He can always come back as a vet minimum after that. That is if the Rox wants him and his game is still valuable.

He has done way more than Ryno who is making 20 million. Deserves it.

Does not make sense for Phoenix, other than contending for that 9th seed. Maybe they go after Capela too to tease us.

Patience likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Really? I had no idea and I'm shocked that most of us are worried about adding good role players to the team. What were we thinking??

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Was anyone really able to defend the Warriors. We really just couldn't score.

8. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Utah wants Exum back

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rings? As far as I know only 1 ring. No 's'. 2009 Fakers.

10. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I was very impressed with his defense against Harden in the playoffs.

Asian Sensation and Stormy1234 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ryan can do more sitting on the bench with his money. I kid.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Classy player. Wish him nothing but success. He gave us all he had.

Green @ 2.4m > trevor @ 15m

Just like trevor was such a value over Parsons a few years ago.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  13. Asian Sensation

For good reason. He’s restricted but we should throw him an offer to see if they match. Worst case scenario we make them pay more to keep him.

They have a lot of guys 1-3 that are still young and I know they have big plans for Grayson Allen. Exum could be the odd guy out depending on our offer.

14. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

As for the Rockets’ future, Harden said he’s not worried that Jeremy Lin has left for the Los Angeles Lakers and Chandler Parsons for the Dallas Mavericks. “Dwight (Howard) and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets,” said Harden. “The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team. We’ve lost some pieces and added some
    pieces. I think we’ll be fine next season.”

That was back in 2014, if anybody is wondering what type of attuide Harden has about losing role players.

rockets1995 and Stormy1234 like this.
  15. Asian Sensation

Yup. He’s got very good reach and wingspan but more importantly he moves his feet really well laterally. His first step is probably his best asset. On defense he can recover quickly should his guy manage to get by him and offensively that’s what helps him explode to the basket where hes a very good finisher at or near the rim. I really like him and I’d like to believe he’s a classic Morey candidate.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No cap room for him except for the 5 M plus MLE. Utah will almost surely match it.

17. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Well Ariza I once hated you as a Laker and the first time around but you grew on me as a Rocket. Sucks to see you go but at least it's not to the Warriors. I would of hated you for that. But instead good luck and thanks.

I really did hope that Chris Paul friendship and how close we were would of gave him some reasons to stay.

Sucks we just lost the only player with championship experience.

saleem and Stormy1234 like this.
  18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

With Ariza gone, what makes sense now is a Ryno for Bazemore trade. I am not as down on Anderson as everyone else, but KB is a better player to matchup with the Warriors.

Bazemore shot 39% from deep last year and is a capable defender. He would fit right in with our switching scheme, while Ryno was serviceable on offense, he was unplayable in the WCF.

The contracts are similar, but Bazemore is a little cheaper which helps on the tax, and has a player option, which he might use. I think tossing a ATL a 2nd and and cash to cover the salary differences would get it done.

joshuaao likes this.
  19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Deuce and Stormy1234 like this.
  20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Um yes