1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PHP Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ace, Feb 9, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I have a form. You enter text, and it is posted onto a website. However, for symbols such as & and £ I need to have the coded versions so that they display properly accross all browsers. Do you know how to do this?

I have written a function which adds BR tags for line breaks and also used one which removed the problematic \ which are added before quote marks (so they don't show on the site). However, I just can't figure out how to do this bit so that all such characters come up as HTML!

Any ideas?

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

3. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Yeah, it's something like that. Except when I use it, it actually ends up spitting out the same characters in the end. I have NO idea why it does this. I will try and look into it again. Thanks for the help.

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

So you want to update your custom function and use it instead of the built in function? If so post your code so I can look at it.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

If you're passing the entity in a form, then the URLencode makes the characters parse out as regular characters. You may have to switch the code to NOT ACCEPT url-encoded characters. It's not really PHP, I don't think, I think it's the form that sends it that way through the browser. Best yet, post the part of the page that does that like DrLudicrous said.