1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PHOTOS: Libyans Applaud President Obama And International Allies With Large Thank You

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ILoveTheRockets, Aug 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. across110thstreet

so you fear a contagious religion taking over your country and 1/5th of mankind trying to killing you?
    again, that's what I am getting from your post and subsequent response.

2. Northside Storm

ATW, I'd support this position in general, but I can't help but notice this doesn't jibe well with the fact that you fervently support a nation entirely based on the non-separation of church and state.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

I live in a fairly Christian dominated country now. The USA gives me quite a bit of individual freedom (especially compared to everywhere else). So I don't see Christianity as a threat to me. 70s Lebanon is what you reference? How about any of the numerous current Christian dominated countries?

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

'me and mine' does not just refer to death:rolleyes:. And yes, the fact that Islam spreads quickly matters. I would fear white supremacy if it spread as fast as well. But it doesn't, so it's not a threat to me.

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

Grats on missing the point entirely. The point was your absurd fear of Islam yet you ignore the fact that Christians in the exact same region were committing a lot of the same sectarian and religious violence that you complain about.

Also the US isn't Christian, it's a secular country. Your criticism (by quoting the potential constitution) was highlighting that Libya might NOT be secular and instead declare Islam the official religion of the country. The point is that in the same region there is a country (Lebanon) that officially privileges Christians and mandates that Christians run the government (despite being a minority today) These same Christian groups have routinely attacked Muslims and suppressed opposition during the many flareups and civil war periods of Lebanon. You say you feel secure about being in a "Christian dominated" country yet I'm fairly certain that during periods of tension and violence many Muslims would not feel safe in Christian areas of Lebanon. Never mind that organizations like Hezbollah grew out of the civil war of the 70s when the Christian militias more or less ordered the Israelis to massacre Shi'ite neighborhoods in the south and Druze neighborhoods in the West. But hey they're Christian right? They could never be as bad as the Muslims.

My point was that instead of crying about Islam how about thinking that there is something deeper than religion. These are areas full of tribal groups (as I said) and religion has hardly made a difference. Even the Christian tribal groups (whether in Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, or Palestine) have all participated in the fray and the constant conflict of the region over its history.

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

Could Iraq have ended the same way?

7. thadeus

thadeus Member

..so, what you're saying, is that you've never been anywhere else.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

No, how did you get that from my statement?

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Fair point. I think there is a qualitative difference as to how certain religions (in the way they are practiced in certain countries, e.g. Saudi-Arabia, Pakistan, Afghanistan) treat "non-believers", but yes, in general, it is still my position that I prefer secular states to religious ones, also with regard to Israel.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

I think you'll find 99% of people agree with this sentiment. :)

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

to be fair, this is a totally different time. we are looking at you people who are rising up themselves, who through the internet are embracing western civilization. yes ten years, even less eight really, and its totally different

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Spent 2 years as a "nonbeliever" in an Muslim country. Experienced no noticeable oppression. No effort to convert us. Catholics had their Sunday mass. Paranoia about Islam highly overrated. Even most Muslims who support official state religion don't want country become Afghanistan under Taliban.

13. percicles

percicles Member

This is all nice and sweet, but how would Obama fair during a world zombie crisis.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you sure those young kids who organized on social networking sites don't want to become a bassackwards country like afghanistan with no electricity and goat hearding?

15. mc mark

mc mark Member

can we just say religion in general and leave it at that?

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Little goat herding ability among the educated twitter Arabs. Lost touch with tradition. Very sad.

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

sure, but that's not fair to all the religions that leave me be.

[​IMG]

84% of Egyptian Muslims believe in the death penalty for those who leave the Muslim religion. 76% in Pakistan. 51% in Nigeria. That's one hell of a barbaric belief that a hell of a lot of people believe. I don't think Islam paranoia is highly overrated. That being said, Pew also found that 90% of Egyptian Muslims believe in freedom of religion. I have no idea what to make of these polls.

82% of Muslims in Egypt and Pakistan believe in burying adulterers in the ground and throwing rocks at their head. WTF?!?!? again not a small amount of people.

#57 tallanvor, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

No. Islam violent. Islamic people hairy barbarians. Hates us for our freedom.

And our p*rn.

19. mc mark

mc mark Member

You think christianity leaves you alone?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Islam has a very inconsistent message and does support violence, so does Christianity.

Doesn't mean the people are bad, just because the mythology/religion is...

DD