1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Philly Inquirer] Trade rumors swirling around 76ers' Iguodala(McGrady)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

It's not a bad idea actually if it's possible. With Brand your stuck like chuck making more moves. If you buy him out like Portland did Francis to draft Oden i think, what was it 62 million? It wont be the first time. Then you cleared him off the books, along with all the other expiring contracts at around 65 million to throw around and chase Bosh or Gay, if that was their plans. Certainly not stupid if you have the money and was willing to spend to win and go young at the same time.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Whatever you buy him out for reflects on your books for the same number of years. So, if you buy him out for $50 million and he has 4 years left on his deal, his buyout will count as $12.5 million against the cap for the next 4 years. You really can't do a buyout and it be effective unless the player is in the last year...or in the extreme Francis example...he has one year left on his deal.

Whoever trades for Brand is not going to buy him out now. They are going to take what they can get from him on the court, at least for the next few years.

3. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

thnx for sharing it some what makes sence, but at the same time it don't. You'd think if a player signed the dotted line for x amount of years for y amount per year, then he's employed, then this should not matter as long as he was fully paid and off the books for good, then this would not count against the cap.

Why is it not that way though?

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That's kinda like learning a foreign language, when the student says, "Why does Spanish/French/Portuguese/Italian use the subjunctive so much?"

It just is.

But basically, you could have a team like the Knicks and their ungodly deep pockets just buy out Curry and Jeffries right now and have money for LeBron and Bosh, no problem.

5. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

See what i'm saying it does not leave room for error, even if you had the money to do things like that and improve the team instead of waiting it out that is kinda gay. No chance to fix mistakes quickly even if you had to money to erase the mistake so you can move on.

6. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Right!!!!?

7. jopatmc

Fiscal responsibility. That would allow moneyed teams to just buy out of contracts and go sign someone else. It levels the playing field.

8. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

It's more of a risk factor then anything. Takes money to win regardless, and there is only x amount of players and y amount of teams, beats being stuck in a position that's for sure.

9. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

So is it the same way in europe? NBA teams go buy them out, then there stuck in the position?

10. jopatmc

Here's the other part. These players could take unfair advantage, which some of them do now, and a lot of them are on the verge of doing. That is, sign for the big bucks guaranteed, then play like crap, don't practice, get out of shape, chuck up shots, etc., get bought out. Then sign a 1-year deal and play their tail off on a championship team, get another big contract. The league is already fighting that kind of thing now. With now penalty for buying out a contract, it would be ten times worse. The rule is a good rule.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brand is still a very good player, and would be an upgrade at the position...

He has had some beastly games recently...Regaining that swagger...

12. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

He's been playing good lately i noticed that too. He was playing good earlier in the season too. but he does have funk nights more and more. This means he needs more talent around him to reduce those funk nights.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

HEELL NO. He's OLD, He getting payed $14-18 million for 4 MORE YEARS!!!

and he gets Hurt every other month.

14. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I just looked up his stats and I didnt see any 'beastly' games lately. His game log looks very similar to Landry's while he's making the max.

#514 HeyDude, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  15. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I know one thing and i said it before he became a free agent, that when he came back from injury with the Clippers i knew instantly that some team is going to mess up bad signing him. He did not show me when i watched him that he was anything more or near impressive for a fat contract, definately not the same player before his injury woes. Philly is stuck like chuck needless to say AND the only way they'll ever move him is to a overdog contender who has a fat expiring contract, hence Boston that'd risk making a move for him or a team that didnt lose much to take him on, definately a contender and don't see that happening soon either.

16. jopatmc

Elton Brand is still a very efficient offensive player. He is obviously recovering from his injuries and he would be a great contributor to a team going to the playoffs this year. The problem is the length of his deal.

Brand plus the first rounder without lottery protection to go with him and Iguodala is going to be kinda tempting to somebody.

17. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Ew i forgot about that what if Boston wins him/Iggy/pick for Allen/filler(s)? I think they'd be all over that knowing them.

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I got it!

Houston Trades: Tracy McGrady, Brian Cook, Future Pick
    Houston Receives: Andre Iguodala, Darko Milicic

NY Trades: Larry Hughes, Darko Milicic, Future Pick
    NY Receives: Tracy McGrady, Brian Cook

Philly Trades: Andre Iguodala
    Philly Receives: Larry Hughes, Future Picks from Houston & NY

GIT R DONE MOREY!

19. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Iggy does 'has a chance' we know that much.

20. jopatmc

........and then Allen gets bought out and goes right back to Boston.