1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Philly Inquirer] Trade rumors swirling around 76ers' Iguodala(McGrady)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Jan 28, 2010.

1. realmustang

realmustang Member

How much would it hurt if he ended up signing with the Spurs?

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

3. LifeisButaDream

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/new...february/03/teams-interested-in-iguodala.html

(Lifeisbutadream - didnt you have a post from somewhere else(an "insider" from another board) that mentioned Phoenix-Philly with Amar'e and Iggy being the main pieces?)

5. LifeisButaDream

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Well it comes back to this and looks like that insider or whoever could be right. Suns were never really mentioned as a team or destination for Iguodala up until recently/now.

7. larsv8

From "supposed" Sixers insider:

8. LifeisButaDream

Re: All Amare Talk Here--THREAD 2!

Postby Traxxe on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:18 am
    I'm told nothing is happening until after the allstar game if anything happens at all.

We don't want brand though Philly tried to offer us Brand. Iggy and Dally is the deal on the table. No first. We could only get a first maybe if we take Brand but we don't want him.

Philly is the most likely trade unless something changes. Either Philly or we get a better offer elsewhere as so far we deem it the best on the table and likewise with Philly.

There is still a chance something else happens as teams will change offers, etc as the deadline nears. So nothing is set in stone yet but we'll see after the allstar game.

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Damn.

Seems the Iggy dream may be dying. We'll see.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's interesting. I wonder what the likelihood of Stoudemire re-signing with the Sixers would be. This could make the free agent market just a tad more interesting.

11. LifeisButaDream

the sixers are going to let Amare walk.he's just like tmac to them a expiring contract.

12. larsv8

Ladies and Gentlemen, in this post I propose HERESY.

According to the Philly Insider, the Sixers are offering thier lottery pick + AI + Brand for Amare stoudemire + filler. They also seem to be planning to use Amare as an expiring. Phoenix seems to be wary of taking on Brand since they are about to rebuild, but are considering the AI/Sammy trade, which doesnt include the pick.

Now lets think about this for a second. I think we can all agree that our rebuilding begins when Yao is done. I am going to go out on a limb and say Yao will be a productive player for another 3 seasons or so and that is probably the length of contract we offer him.

What if.....we offerred

Tmac + Andersen + Ariza

for

Iggy + Brand + Philly's #1 pick

Now I know you all see Brand's name and are already foaming at the mouth, but hear me out....

Now this trade accomplishes a few things. First we get under the luxury tax this year which puts some cash in the Rockets pocket, saving us from having to bribe someone to take Cook later. Second we add enough talent to make Yao's last few years here good enough to be contenders. Third, we almost assuredly make the playoffs this year. Lastly we get a lottery pick which will be excellent.

Keep in mind making this trade makes Philly a signifigantly worse team which makes the pick all the more valuable. As is the pick is right around #7, with a fairly decent shot at getting into the top 3. On my ten mock drafts, Philly got the #1 pick once, 2nd or 3rd three times and 7th six times. Slated at number 7 is Cole Aldrich. (http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2010/mockdraft) I wont lie, I got Philly the number one pick five times in a row :cool:

But wait, wont that put us in tax hell?!? Lets look!

Salaries 2010-2011
    Yao Ming -17.6
    Shane Battier - 7.3
    Carl Landry - 3.0
    Chuck Hayes - 2.3
    Aaron Brooks - 2.0
    Kyle Lowry - 5.0 *estimate
    Jermaine Taylor - 0.8
    Chase Budinger - 0.8
    Elton Brand - 15.9
    Andre Iguodala - 13.6
    Lottery pick - ~3 million
    Total: 71.3 million

I left off Scola because we would probably have to let him walk in this scenario. Losing Scola is tough, but keep in mind Brand is better than Scola and will replace a ton of his production. A little over the luxury tax line but not too far. A little bit higher since we would also have our own first rounder and need a roster of 15.

One concern going forward is what happens once Landry and Brooks are due thier raises? Hopefully, Yao will sign for less money which will cover them. If not, its likely Battier has to go. This is one of the few risks we take.

So why are we doing this? Does this make us a contender?

Well lets look at our theoretical depth chart:
    Brooks/Lowry
    Iguodala/Taylor
    Battier/Budinger
    Brand/Landry
    Yao/Hayes

Now thats a dangerous lineup. You've got scoring, you've got defense, you have outside shooting, incredible depth, etc. The only real thing missing is size beyond Yao.

But wait! What about our lottery pick?! With our lottery pick we could likely pick up Aldrich as a future replacement for Yao at worse. That would help greatly with size. If we did luck out and land a top 3 pick, Wall would too good to pass up or Turner would fill that huge hole we have at SG. Either way, we would be in a GREAT position now and moving forward.

A few highlight tapes to help sell my idea ;)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L4trsJcFNkw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L4trsJcFNkw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/abhi0ZdO0uE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/abhi0ZdO0uE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Thoughts/Comments?

2 people like this.
  13. Mr. J

Mr. J Member

There must be some others besides Amare involved in this.

BTW, we will face Sixers in this weekend.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Interesting idea and well thought out argument. My gut feeling is Morey will take whatever deal that: (1) Adds an asset, (2) Gets us under or barely missing the LT threshold and (3) Involves us taking back as little long-term salary as possible. Obviously, finding one deal with a combination of all three variables is going to be very hard to do, but your proposal satisfies two of those three components by a mile. The only question left to ask is: is even a potential top five pick enough to persuade any NBA GM to absorb Brand's ugly and dangerous contract?

Given Morey's eye for talent and bedrock principle of avoiding contracts like this, I think he would view Brand's contract as a deal-breaker no matter what sweeteners Philly was willing to throw in. Another issue is: I would imagine the game plan with Ariza is to see how he works playing with Yao before passing final judgment.

15. Mr. J

Mr. J Member

Thoughts/Comments?[/QUOTE]

1、DM possibly won't let Ariza go;
    2、DM can't accept Brand.

Maybe DM is trying to persuade himself to accept one of the two, but not both...

16. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

What if les intends to buyout Brand? to have Iggy and their pick. Is les that bold?

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That would be an Arenas-esque buy-out. But, wait - some rumblings of a Brand - Arenas deal next summer?

18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

haha nice one. BUYING OUT ELTON BRAND AND THE WORST CONTRACT IN THE NBA.

if les did that then he'd be labelled as teh dumbest gm in the league.

elton brand is actually producing pretty well actually. not all star level but defnintely starter level. but why do u want brand when u can just accept dalembert and philly will also give u iguodala? we'll just go get our own lottery pick!!!!!!!

19. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Shouldn't it be dumbest Owner in the league... :grin:

PS. If they included their pick(unprotected) I would do the trade in a heart beat

--RB

20. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

ANY chance at getting Wall.. We should do it