1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Philly Inquirer] Trade rumors swirling around 76ers' Iguodala(McGrady)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Jan 28, 2010.

1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Waive? Waive a trade kicker?? Don't think anyone in their right mind would do something stupid like that. I mean I've read alot about the CBA and I don't recall any player being able to "waive" a trade kicker. Plus in this case its a 15% trade kicker, which is probably something around 2mil dollars in perspective to dalembert's 12 million salary. I'm pretty sure Portland wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for that for an extended run into the playoffs for a legit big man.

steve blake
    travis outlaw
    pryzbilla

for

samuel dalembert

2. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I have to respectfully disagree. Title contender maybe, but not good enough to beat the Lakers, who will always be in the way of our road to a championship. Despite the great all around numbers by Iguodala, he is not an impact player. He is a 2nd rate 2nd option on a championship team at best. The most important player on the Sixers in the past couple years was not Iguodala, but Andre Miller. I won't say that Andre's departure resulted in a direct cause and effect relationship between the Sixers' performance last season compared to this season, however it is more cause and effect than it is correlation. Considering all of Iguodala's improvements, he is not a reliable go-to scorer at the end of regulation. Sure, he has made some big shots in the regular season and the playoffs (Orlando series last year), but if you remember those last second shots, they were heaves at the basket that were lucky enough to go in.

This current lineup that you have suggested may be enough to get to the WCF, but not enough to beat the Lakers. With Yao back in the lineup, the best game plan to optimize Yao's effectiveness is to surround him with 4 shooters. Iguodala is not an accurate 3 point shooter, and from all recent accounts of Trevor, neither is he consistently accurate. Despite Landry's massive improvement, there is a reason he can't buck Scola out of the starting lineup, which is his mediocre help defense. Yao, while a great defender in his own space, is slow to react to plays that are outside of his space. Yao needs a PF who is quick to help on defense and can grab errant rebounds. Carl has yet to prove that he is a decent help defender and although his offensive rebounding skills are great, statistics show that Carl is not at all great defensive rebounding.

You factor in the abovementioned information, the overwhelming financial constraints taking in Iguodala's and Dalembert's bloated contracts, and the lack of certainty of winning a title, the Rockets have no outs when it comes to future cap flexibility. Nothing is worse than not hedging your bets and ending up in limbo (good enough to make the playoffs, but not great enough to win a championship). When that happens in the NBA, it takes years to rebuild because of guaranteed contracts and those years of limbo will be the most painful for fans who go in every season with high expectations that ultimately fall short.

2 people like this.
  3. LifeisButaDream

Good post.

4. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I agree i would rather take my chances with the current team, resign our players, let Tracy expire and go from there. I would rather not trade for anything worst then Bosh.

5. acefan18

acefan18 Member

Does anyone think we have a legit shot at signing Bosh this summer for less than max money? He did say it's about winning, and that he would be willing to take less money to go to a contender, but then again everyone says that and 99.99% of the time comes down to dolla $ign$. Since he is from around here, do we have a chance?

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't think Iguodala is the Kobe for our team - I think he's a damn good player for our team. The problem with the Lakers is that they will always have Kobe; and there aren't many of those around the league. We don't have cap space this summer to sign any of the big name FAs, and we have to re-sign Scola and Lowry with the little we would have (~7 million). If we expect to win a championship with Yao as the centerpiece, we need to add an impact player now. We can't afford to have a tanking season for the #1 pick to get the next Brandon Roy.

If you don't think we should build around Yao anymore, that's a separate issue. I can understand someone maybe preferring Caron Butler because his contracts shorter, so if Yao can't come back 100% we would be able to move another direction easier. But I think if we're committed to building around Yao, as I think we still are, Iguodala's one of the rare players we can actually get that would put is in that position.

Also, I don't think it's fair to characterize Iggy's game winners as "heaves at the basket that were lucky to go in." He made the shot, under pressure, at the buzzer. It doesn't matter if he doesn't look like Ray Allen shooting, if it goes in, it goes in. And he's done it. You may not have much confidence in his ability to continually hit those shots, but it's not fair to discredit the ones he has hit. I've seen him hit multiple big shots at the end of games; I think he hit a 3 vs. the Mavs this year to tie it up, but they came back down and scored at the buzzer.

I think any team that gets to the Conference Finals is a title contender. If we did this trade, and lost to the Lakers in the WCF, I doubt anyone would be saying "I knew we shouldn't have done that deal!" Do you think Kings fans are pissed they didn't blow up their team in 2001, before they lost in the WCF to the Lakers in 2002? I want the Rockets to build a championship contender, and I believe that, that roster is one.

The Lakers may have more overall talent, but all that matters is the team concept and how well the team is playing. That lineup would be amongst the best defensive teams in the league (Iggy, Trevor, Shane all guarding Kobe?), would have (hopefully) one of the most dominant low post scorers, a big scorer at PG, and plenty of bench depth.

I agree that Carl hasn't shown to be a good enough rebounder yet; that's an area he could definitely improve in. Hayes is a great defensive PF, but he would also be an average rebounder. A factor to consider though: if the Rockets miss the playoffs, they end up in the lottery. NBADraft.net has 7 PFs in the Top 14 -- this draft seems to have some good depth at the four spot. That could be an option in filling the rebounding problem you think we'd have. You never want to have to rely on a rookie, but with Morey's track record I'd kinda like our chances getting a pick in the lottery; whether that means he drafts someone or trades it for more assets.

Dalembert's contract is overstated. His contract expires after next season; the same as Yao if he takes his player option. In reality, we could let them both walks and just have Iguodala and others. The real argument is whether or not Iguodala's production is worth his contract. I personally feel he's one of the leagues best young SG/SFs. He plays hard on both ends of the court, something our former star didn't do (McGrady). I think he could be just as instrumental as McGrady was to our team because he would be helping on both ends of the court. He also has good vision when he drives, so we'd have someone else on the wing who can create for others -- something we hoped Trevor would develop.

The team would hinge on the development of Brooks, Budinger and Landry. They would have to grow into their roles to help take our team to the next level. The potential lottery pick this summer would also be pretty instrumental -- if we hit on it, we could really rival the Lakers in the talent department.

I will say, I may be overvaluing some of the players. The rumor that Morey turned down Iggy/Dalembert/Lou for McGrady/Cook/Lowry surprised me. I don't know if it was ever on the table, if Morey turned it down, or if he's just sitting on it until the deadline. Either way, I felt like that was a solid deal -- maybe he gets more. There's a reason I'm not running things.. yet.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Well financially it makes no sence, but if he was to do so with a pay cut and possibly save money without the annualy tax fee then there is a chance, but we don't hold the leverage that's for sure.

We have players more worthy of playing time then any players (fillers) we can get through a trade.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

What makes u think the rox have any leverage in any deal other than being a rockets fan. From an outside view, dallas can trump any deal we put together. Cleveland can trump any deal we put together. Why? Because their contracts are smaller and the guys are actually playing and can be traded again. Not only that, dallas has shown they can pull a big deal off as well as cleveland. If the competition has either of those teams involved the rockets will lose and we will hear about how the deal wasnt good enough.

I'm trying figure why u say iggy is overpaid and not worth it. His age and production on both ends say otherwise too me. I've watched alot of 76ers and the guys does everything a coach can ask and he's durable and multiple.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Dunno for sure, but it's not like he's waving good-bye to $$$ - - he's waiving good-bye to Xtra $$$ he would not receive if he does not leave Philly where he and they don't want to be married to each other. So, for a better situation and the same $$$ why not waive it, if CBA (and Player's Ass'n) say it's OK?

10. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

I'm convinced Iggy is the best player we can ever lay hands on.

McGrady+Landry+Budinger+Cook for Iguodala+Dalembert

Let's do it. I'm sure this package would outbid anything Dallas could offer.

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Artest went to the Lakers, even though other teams offered him. Most players including Artest don't consider Houston a contender. When Bosh means contenders, he means Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, or Cavaliers.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Take Landry out of that equation, MAYBE add Lowry---MAYBE.

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I'm speaking leverage as in leverage in situation. If the right deal presents itself that has future and current benefits, or more importantly future benefits, we should make the deal.

If no trade of value that benefits the future is offered, we should feel no pressure to make a move and feel content to stay pat and let Tracy expire.

Iggy has not lead the 76ers to anything, is paid like a top talent, and is not better than Yao. If a hard cap comes along, or even without, his salary will prohibit you from adding an additional impact player at the 2-3.

Morey has stated multiple times that to win with Yao, you need two superstars. I agree with him and think that the wing player needs to be the better player. Iggy is not that.

By letting tracy expire, we would have the money to resign all our fa's. We would probably miss the playoffs, giving us a lottery pick (top 8 in a good draft).

With the friendly players contracts of Budinger, Landry, Brooks, and to a lesser extent, Ariza and Andersen, coupled with a top 8 draft pick, Morey could potentially make an impact trade at the draft.

Whatever we do, the important thing is to not hinge our future on Yao being healthy. We need to move forward as he is gone and anything we get from him is gravy. If he does get hurt again next year, we will have an addl. expiring to make an impact acq. then.

win win win win win

it's pretty much full of win. Other than missing the playoffs this season, which I don't mind as I don't think this team can compete for a title anyway.

14. Karolik

Karolik Member

No offense..but that's a terrible trade. we could probably get speights with landry.

15. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Can we? I'm not so sure. Philly would also want talent back besides financial relief. Budinger alone is not enough.

16. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Why would they want Lowry when they already have Holiday and Williams as their PGs? And possibly Wall?

17. acefan18

acefan18 Member

I would rather not trade anyone besides Mac, Cook, and Dorsey, and I think one of the most realistic trades IMO is something like this:

T-Mac and Dorsey for Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison, and JaVale McGee. It works according to ESPN http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ygsxrjm

Thoughts on this trade? If we did this it would allow us to make a Luxury Tax move or two without shaking up the roster too much.

18. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

You guys sound like Dalembert is as usless as Cook while he can still give you a 8+9 and solid defense every night. He's certainly not unmovable. I heard Sacramento is willing to take on his contract. Philly can do much better with a Iguodala trade talent-wise.

19. RocketGirl6

RocketGirl6 Member

That seems like a good trade, I just tried TMac, Cook & Taylor( nothing against him, but he is "young talent" they may want, even though they traded him draft night for Jaimson, Bulter & Haywood. The good thing about Haywood is he makes 6 million with no trade kicker that I am aware of, and if he's good, maybe resign him next summer as Yao's back up.

20. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Curious of yalls opinion on this!

Who would u rather trade for as a scoring SG? Caron Butler, Andre Iguodala, Or Gereld Wallace! I would love to have any of them! Just curious on who yall would rather have??