1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Philly Inquirer] Trade rumors swirling around 76ers' Iguodala(McGrady)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Jan 28, 2010.

1. RocketMania1991

....What ?

I never said we should try to sign anyone. Why would we call any of those players.

I said the Rockets should not sign anyone this off-season except attempt to keep our core together for a reasonable price. Wait until Yao comes back evaluate the team then.

2. Lumix

Lumix Member

Just imagine you were in Morey's shoes and would be doing like this...you will be hated by the fans and/or fired by the owner - this is a sure thing indeed.

3. RocketMania1991

So ? If it helped the team in the long run so be it.

Most people hate Morey for not trading Tmac yet so our team can get help.
    But Morey understands to get a better deal you must wait.

Patience leads to victory.

4. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Sixers listening

Amid reports there have been trade talks, including with the Rockets, about guard Andre Iguodala, 76ers general manager Ed Stefanski seemed to indicate a deal would have to help on the court, and not just with future salary-cap issues.

“I will say we're very active,” Stefanski said. “We're talking to teams throughout the league.”

Seems like the insider might be for real but to me this strongly suggests the Rockets are not going to make a deal with them. Where there's fire, there's smoke but trades usually are unexpected so my guess is the Rockets do not make any deal involving T-mac. If they do then with an unexpected team.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Why keep this team together? They are a borderline playoff team AT BEST, with just Yao they become maybe a 4th -5th seed...AT BEST again.

I think if you have a shot to get Iggy and Dalembert depending on what you are doing...YOu do it. Especially if you keep Brooks and Landry in that deal...Do it.

Iggy might not be Lebron or Wade, but he's a damn good player. Put him alongside Brooks, Yao, Landry and he'd have a much easier job plus his defense is pretty good also.

Dalembert is no scrub either, just overpaid.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think adding iggy and sam would do wonders for this team this year and yrs beyond. Adding those 2 would make the rockets a very scary in the playoffs. The might not be able to beat la, but anyone else is game.I'm not saying that because i think either are great players, but the impact to what this team needs would be really good.

Iggy would give the team a legit all around player who is a very capable scorer. He has shown in his young career that he will take and make big shots. Sam would improve the defense the minute he touches the court. Sure he has lapses, but his presence at the rim helps scola,landry,brooks,ariza,and shane. Evreyone has concerns about the years after and rightfully so, but i think the 2 players the rockets might lose(scola and lowry) can be replaced through low end free agency or the draft. Their status of restricted might dictate sign and trade anyway. Brooks is the starter and landry is emerging, so it would be impossible to keep them all at their current value anyway.

As far as the long term finances, here is how i see it. I think early projections call for a 55m cap and 65m at lt. In this discussion, i will make a few points or thoughts. Some will agree, some will not, nothing unusual about that. I think yao can be a 17ppg 8 reb guy in 30 mins for the next 4 yrs or so. That kind of production in those minutes with a guy like yao equates to a 11m contract. Hopefully the rockets can have team options after yr 2 in case yao is hurt alot. I also think brooks is a 6.5m player and landry is at about 7m. Those are the numbers I will use for the 20111 summer.I will also assume lowry and scola are gone at the end of this year either via free agency or in some package. So here are the rockets in 2010 with Iggy and Dalembert and the cap and lt implications

Yao-17
    Iggy-12
    Dalembert-12
    Ariza-6
    Shane-7
    Brooks-2
    Landry-3
    hayes-2.3
    Chase-.875
    Taylor-.875
    Anderson-2.3

Just on those 11 players the rockets are at the lux tax. This is the main reason why i say shane must go. Its not only his declining skils with his age, but his salary vs his production. I also believe u must replace talent with talent. 25% of shane's salary is right at 5m if the team is over the cap. If the team he's going to is under the cap, then those rules dont apply. So say shane is traded this year for someone like Raja bell and his expiring contract. Next season, that would drop the rockets to 58m which would give them the use of the mle at 5.5m and the lle. There will be vets and young players availible for the rockets to sign for depth. Conroy can be brooks backup, but his salary would be under 1m. Since the team lost scola and landry is now starting, a guy like josh powell might go for 2m or so as a backup to landry. The rest of the roster will be with draft picks and minimum wage vets.

Now we approach the summer of 2011 and brooks and landry need they're money i discussed earlier. Also yao is signed for the money i mentioned also. Add the fact dalmebert is a free agent also. 12m was cool for a backup for 1.5 yrs, but not for multiple yrs. A good backup to yao is worth about 3m. The rockets might get proactive and try to sign mbenga the summer of 2010 and use the huge expiring of dalembert as trade bait. Again, i will give the rockets credit and assume the will have a legit backup for yao at 3m. So here are the numbers for 2011-12

Yao-11
    Iggy-13
    brooks-6.5
    landry-7
    ariza-6.8
    chase-1
    taylor-1
    anderson-2.3
    powell-2m
    draft pick 1
    draft pick 1.4
    backup center-3
    Hayes-2.3
    conroy-1m

For those players listed, the rockets are looking at 58m payroll. Thats still 7m under the lt with the mle availible to add more quality players. So as people can see, taking on those 2 contracts arent making the rockets buy a house on lux tanx land. As metioned early, making that move will cost the rockets lowry and scola this summer and probably battier.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Are you freaking kidding me? Taking Brand, Dalembert and Iggy is a blessing? Are you aware of a little thing called the salary cap and luxary tax? What are you using monopoly money? :rolleyes:

8. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Are you foreign?

9. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Do you have any other SG prospects Houston can trade for by the trade deadline?

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

And you are asking this why? What does that have to do with anything basketball related? Prove to me how taking on the salaries of Brand, Dalembert and Iggy is a good thing. Brand alone has a horrible contract, and he just isn't worth it as a player. Iggy, Dalembert is still risking losing Scola and Lowry when they become FA's at the end of the year. If the Rockets took on all three contracts the team would be crippled for years. Give me something. Give me some knowledge, because if all you can say is "are you foreign" I'm completely done with you as a poster and you will become the first on my ignore list. That's saying alot because I feel everyone deserves an opinion

11. Lovemachine2000

Dude you are out of line. No way in hell are we taking Brand's contract, and the idea of taking Brand AND Dalembert is ludicrous. Morey is not dumb, Iggy + Dalembert for T-Mac may serve the Rockets' long-term goals, but Brand is simply out of the question.

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Due to injuries, he really sucks now. Landry is a better scorer than Brand now. He is very very inconsistent. He might score 3 20+ games in a month, but he will also have 10 games in the 5-15 pt range. He's turned into the T-mac of PFs.

13. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

:rolleyes:

I never said we take all 3...

I said we should not be b****ing about the idea of getting Iggy because the deal the Sixers wants to do is Brand + Sam for Tmac...

Understand?

14. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Oh god.

15. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

update via philly inquirer: there are no untouchables in philly

Philly Inquirer

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Why do some of you want to give up one injury prone player (T-Mac) for another (Brand)? We already have a big made out of glass in Yao, we do NOT need another one. As good as Brand can be, he is way to injury prone and has such a bad contract, getting him would be pissing away our future.

17. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

So Philly "wants" young/ready talent in return for McGrady...but some of you fail to understand that Morey doesn't have to do anything! He has the control in any trade talks he's involved in, because the fact of the matter is that we dont HAVE to trade McGrady. If a trade goes down, It's safe to say that we will definitely get the better end of the deal.

Some of you guys act like Morey is an idiot. The dude has been pretty solid if you ask me! I wouldn't worry too much about him making a trade just for the sake of getting rid of McGrady. If it's not a trade that he likes, he wont do it...its that simple people. Quit trying to make it more difficult than it really is!

18. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

And some people need to wake up and realize that LBJ, D-Wade, Bosh, etc wont be coming to Houston. We simply dont have to money for any "top tier" FA's. So what's wrong with getting 2nd tier talent?

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Fortune cookie?

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

because you'll be committing to 2+ years of an o.k. not going to win a ring team.

I want a championship! I don't want a team that is just good.

I'd rather have you awful year then have 3 good but not great years.