1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Philly.com / David Aldridge] Which coach is going where? For how much?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, May 13, 2007.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

Larry Brown and JVG are pretty much the same coach except Brown's ego would need an annex added to the Toyota Center

2. emjohn

emjohn Member

Paul Silas - in most respects, this is a good guy. Has great relationships with 11 of the guys on the team, but usually butts heads with 2 or 3. Biggest knock is he's never gotten a 50-win season under his belt. Got to the second round a couple times with the Hornets, though.

Larry Brown - any JVG haters that are pushing for LB must be either insane or ill-informed, IMO. Very similar philosophies and drawbacks, only Brown tends to be much worse with his. He's just as hard on rookies, will seek to trade any player that's been on the roster for more than 14 months, will get into heated power battles with players and management, and will stab the franchise in the back as soon as the opportunity arises. He'd be a good choice for a wasteland like the Hawks, but not us. Yes, he won a title with Detroit, but that had much to do with LA imploding for him, and he cost them a title the next year on his way out.

Rick Carlisle - also not a good choice for those that want JVG burned at the stake for not laying young guys. Carlisle took heat for keeping Okur and Prince on the bench in Detroit, I'm of the opinion that he could be doing much more with Granger and Harrison in Indiana.

Rick Adelman - I suppose that he might be the best of the candidates, but that's not saying much. He's a decent player's coach, but I have my doubts if he can outcoach anyone in the playoffs. The massive postseason choke jobs with the Blazers and Kings worry me. I do like the idea that he could open up Yao Ming's role on offense to include the high post, but would Yao have become anywhere near as dominant if he hadn't been chained to the low blocks? Sabonis, Smits, and Miller aren't models for how to make MVPs out of your center.

I really wish we could hire a coach and handpick the staff as well.

Evan

3. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Rudy T already cemmented himself as a Rocket God and legend, he needs not prove himself. stay healthy Rudy, thanks for best championships of all time for any sport on any planet.

4. MadMax

MadMax Member

in a related Aldridge story, we just traded Mario Elie for Damon Stoudamire.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Larry will slash and burn our draft picks and unfavorable signings moreso than Jeff.

He will get the most out of his rotation, and seems to be a better game tactician.

But can Yao and TMac recover or have the time when LB explodes?

Hiring Brown is so risky that keeping JVG seems as good an option.

6. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Member

:eek:
    OMG just the thought that Rudy is actually 'available'!!! :eek:

7. gucci888

gucci888 Member

No thanks on Brown or Carlisle, both them and JVG came from the same school of thought and I just don't see them as much of an upgrade...if any. I don't think Silas is a serious candidate either, I think we could find a coach that is more proven.

My top choices (regardless of availability):

1. Phil Jackson- No coach has a better resume, period. Yao/TMac/Battier in the triangle would be amazing.

2. Rick Adelman- I would love to see a coach utilize Yao's skills more. He is a very good shooter and maybe just as good as a passer, we just haven't seen it. Keeping Yao in the post 100% of the time crowds the basket too much IMO, bringing him out periodically like Adelman did with CWebb and Divac could really make us a hard team to defend.

3. Mario Elie- Always loved Mario as a player and think he has what it takes to be a good coach. But for this team, I would like a coach that is more established.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

les is being very selective. he wants experience, history or success, and a change for style (uptempo).

forget about first time head coaches like the much talked about mark iavaroni or hometown fave mario ellie. forget about similar philosophies like larry brown and rick carlisle. then, forget about guys with no playoff success like the biggest name of the summer sam mitchell.

phil jackson, rick adleman, pj carlesemo, and paul sials seem like the few option remaining which may make up the short list. however i have a feeling that brown and mitchell may be on the list...

9. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Those are your top choices, regardless of availability??? :confused:

Mine would be,

Phil Jackson
    John Wooden (young)
    Red Aurbach (alive and young)
    Pat Riley (Laker's era)
    Greg Popovich

10. Rulow00

Rulow00 Member

I don't think Larry Brown would want to coach for a rookie GM. I really hope JVG stays in Houston. I would like for him to bring in some offensive minded assistant coaches.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

ROFLMAO - that would mean JVG would have to admit his way doesn't work...and that ain't never gonna happen.

DD

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

nope. it's time for a new direction.

not to beat a dead horse but adleman is a great fit. he's not as great of a fit as phil jackson would be but the lakers would overpay to keep him.

i would love to see (realistically) a coaching staff which includes adleman, pete carill (princeton offense guy/rick's right hand man), dwane casey (defensive coordinator/mini was top 5 in D before he got the ax), and finally mario ellie to infuse some heart into our guys.