1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Philly.com / David Aldridge] Which coach is going where? For how much?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, May 13, 2007.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/colu...hich_coach_is_going_where__For_how_much_.html

###
    Houston. All that remains is how the Rockets and Jeff Van Gundy will word his departure. It will almost certainly be a "mutual decision" that he will not return. By doing so, Van Gundy will pocket a fat fee.

The name heard most often as Van Gundy's replacement is ex-Kings and Blazers coach Rick Adelman, though Silas' name is believed to be on Alexander's short list, as well. The Rockets can't afford to break in a new coach with Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady and Shane Battier in the meat of their respective careers. Alexander will also likely inquire about Larry Brown's interest.

The team owner will not inquire about ex-Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich, still a local favorite who is currently a scout for the Lakers. Even though Rudy T's contract will be up in a month or so, Tomjanovich is serious about maintaining his improved quality of life away from coaching.

###

I know Les interviewed Silas during their search after Rudy T. But can ANYONE make a case that Silas would be a good coach here with Yao and Tmac? I think that would be a terrible choice.

2. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Member

I sure hope they dont hire Paul Silas. I dont have nay reason why I dont think he is right for the job, it is just that I dont think he is.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

He said he'd see us next tuesday.

4. studogg

studogg Member

I like David Aldridge and all, but I'm betting his name he's most hearing comes from a poll on the clutch bbs.

5. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I wonder if there is any reporter has paid a visit to Adelman ask his take on how to use Yao and TMac etc.

6. conquistador#11

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

I think his opinion of Boozer would go over well.

:)

What I don't get, is this line
    Uh, he's got no more guaranteed years. He's not going to get bought out unless it's a provision already in the contract.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Member

Please no Brown. I do not have a specific person inn mind to coach us(altough I wouldn't mind having Adelman) but NOT Brown.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I wonder if it's something like Bob Sura's contract... with a partial money guarantee for that last season.

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Nope it's a 2-part opton on both the coach's side and the owners side. First Van Gundy has to optin or out for this season. Meaning he can take his time to decide if he wants to coach the Rockets which is exactly what he said he will do.

Then let's say he opts in, which is what he most certainly will do, the Rockets now have the option to opt in or out this year. The problem is JVG can hold off his decision for a while and the ROCKETS can't opt out until he opts in if they do opt out before JVG opts in they are in breach of contract and have to pay him for the final year.

Les wants Van Gundy gone make no mistake about it. He realizes his blunder and is trying to correct the error and start the future. Van Gundy knows this and is holding the Rockets hostage. He also has some hope that maybe Tmac and the media can help get him back. Not going to happen. JVG may be Tmac's man but he is not Yao's and while this was Tmac's team under JVG it will now become the Rockets team again with the focal point being Yao and JVG is out.

I am sure JVG's agent has advised him to stretch out this thing as long as possible. But in the end Les will have to fork out some of that final year to get rid of Van Grumpy and the exact amount is what is probably delaying the firing. Van Gundy is crying for his salary for the whole year and Les only wants to give him a dollar. So all of this explains why we are sitting here waiting and wondering when JVG gets the AXE and why Les had to quickly deny he is releasing JVG even though he probably wanted him long gone before the season ended. I give him credit though Van Grumpy is NO Van Dummy when it comes to money. The Rockets and JVG will have to find a middle point they agree upon which will probably be more favorable to Van Greedy. Personally I would pay him now just to get rid of him. If you don't pay him he will make this off season miserable. Even in the end Jeff Van Grumpy is laying his misery on the team!.

#10 Old Man Rock, May 13, 2007
    Last edited: May 13, 2007
  11. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Adelman would be a great hire. He should then hire Mario Elie as his top assistant. Adelman coached Elie in Portland.

12. TBar

TBar Member

Ahhhh OMR- you young word smith-IMHO you are right on the money. I'll bet Van Gundy is laughing in private-making his "myfamily loves Houston as Home- I'll never leave here"-while Les is stewing and figuring out how to minimize that golden handshake.

Ohh- and for Donkey magic- Or Magic donkey or just Donkey-everyone at work calls him "Van Alky"-not me - but the Mavericks and SA fans at work.

13. thumbs

thumbs Member

The only problem with the delay in purging ourselves of JVG is that JVG is mucking up our draft.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Every NBA player contract has a deadline as to when an option must be picked up (I believe Anthony Carter's agent ****ed this one up once), I'd imagine the coach contract would contain the same clause, and I would imagine this deadline date would be set fairly soon, so that both sides can pursue opportunities in a timely fashion...

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I wish someone had a more descriptive title, like the title of the article, author and source. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Here is a few more for good measure. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#15 Deuce, May 13, 2007
    Last edited: May 13, 2007
  16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

From this

And from this: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4783677.html

My guess is, OMR is pulling this out of his imagination. The guy left money on the table in NY. Any documentation on this supposed opt-in, opt-out?

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The draft is June 28th. Whatever ends up happening, I hope this is settled long before then.

18. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Member

Scotty Brooks is looking for a coaching job....what about him as at least a canidate? I hate JVG leaving....the other coaches are lackluster

19. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

just say no to Silas.

I would LOVE to have Larry Brown here. This is a Larry Brown type team.

Adelman is a loser, we'll be more entertaining but he's nothing more than Mike Antoni once he stops eating that pasta.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Are they in breach of contract if they pseudo let it be known that whatever he does, they won't be opting him back in post June 30th, and then start unofficially looking for new head coach?