1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phillip Rivers?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Jan 14, 2014.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Just here me out.

I hardly ever post on this board unless it's really an urge to put an idea forth.

For the past few weeks the thought of drafting a top QB and retooling has me thinking... this team is built to win NOW. Andre is on his last stretch. Watt and the defense is just entering their prime and we are looking at developing a young inexperienced QB whom ever it may be Bridgewater, Manziel, etc. My argument is that if we can keep the first pick and trade for Rivers (age 32) with future or additional picks, then we have a real shot at a Superbowl.

Rivers has been a tremendous player his entire career in San Diego, but that franchise has failed to surround him with talent needed to win in the playoffs. He is a consistent QB. Had the best 3rd down conversion rate of any QB this past year, 69% completion pct, over 4000 yds, and 32 TDs.

Why Rivers makes sense? We need an experienced QB right now to push this team over the top with all the weapons we already have on offense.

Why San Diego would be interested? The Chargers lack talent to compete with Denver or New England. Rivers is an elite QB but is not surround by an elite RB like Foster or elite receiver like Johnson. A trade is imminent at some point in his career if he wants a real chance at a Superbowl.

Again this trade is not straight up for the 1st overall pick but 2nd, 3rd round and future consideration, etc. If this trade were to happen, the Texans could then draft Jadeveon Clowney and plug him next to Watt to create the most feared defensive line in the league. Again this is more wishful thinking but within the realm of possibility and worth some serious consideration.

Thanks for hearing me out.

2. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I do agree with you that we are in a win now mode, but I don't know if Rivers is the answer. I can agree that he would be better than any rookie QB we draft.

3. mhch720

mhch720 Member

I don't think SD is trading Rivers anytime soon.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Rivers is too much of a douche for me to want him on my team, but talent wise he would be a good acquisition...

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The Chargers JUST got back into the playoffs with a new coach. They're not going to voluntarily enter the abyss of not having a QB. You'd have to give them the #1 pick at least so they could draft his replacement. They wouldn't do it otherwise.

Ric Smith: Hi, San Diego? We want Philip Rivers.
    San Diego: Well, we really don't want to trade him, but for the sake of discussion we'd start with the #1 pick. Since we'd have a sudden need at QB, we'd be able to take Bridgewater.
    Ric Smith: No.
    San Diego: So you want us to give up our QB and not allow us in position to draft his replacement?
    Ric Smith: No, of course not. You can draft Tajh Boyd in the 2nd round.
    San Diego: (click)
    Ric Smith: Hello?

They can't compete with Denver or New England but we can? Pfft. You probably didn't notice but Matthews had a damned good year and Allen had a great rookie season. Andre is better (right now) and Arian can be if heathly, but that's no sure thing at this point. It's not like San Diego sucks at the skill positions though.

#5 Cannonball, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Can't see San Diego being willing to deal Rivers after going from 5-7 too almost reaching the conference championship.

It is win now mode for AJ but I still think O Brien can find a Russell Wilson type in the draft.

7. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I like Philip Rivers on a mobile better.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Big Phil baby... Making those Manning boys swim.

9. Remii

Remii Member

Would rather have Josh McCown.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

11. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Josh McCown? HAHA gtfo. Do you just poo poo everything?

12. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

I'd trade our 1-1 pick for Andy Dalton and the Bengals' first round pick. Bring Dalton back to Houston, and he's got 3 years of seasoning behind him, including playoff experience.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

exactly. Rivers was one of the absolute best QBs in the league this season.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

SD just got there mojo back but I'm sure their #1 move this off-season is trading Rivers.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If the sentiment is we have to win now (coming off our worst season ever) because key players are getting too old... then... news flash: it's time to rebuild.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

And why is a playoff team trading their QB?

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

Nope a new start lets just draft a QB and sign a vet free agent.

18. Raven

Raven Member

No more QB vets, retreads, or clipboard holders! Bite the bullet, draft a QB, and develop them. Between Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, or one of the others entering the draft, is a player who can lead the Texans to the playoffs. It's on the new regime to find that player. If they blow it, fire them.

19. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Why would the Chargers trade Rivers and how much would they want from other teams is the big question.

20. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

To everyone who keeps asking why would San Diego trade Rivers?

Well, the answer is simple. The Chargers do not have the talent to compete with the more stacked teams in their division like the Broncos and Chiefs, who have incredible stockpiles of talent and youth although with the exception of Peyton Manning who is not going to retire any time soon.

So, this has more to do with Phillip Rivers and his realization that the Chargers are not placing the talent needed around him to reach the Superbowl. He's 32 years old and at the prime for a QB with a 3-5 year window max.

What I'm suggesting is the same kind of inception Daryl Morey did on Dwight Howard to pry him away from Los Angeles - the one place nobody ever leaves. It can be done.

The idea has to be put in the media first through back channels that Texans are serious about a trade then let Rivers and his agent consider it and put pressure on the Chargers to work a deal. Again, that's how the sports management industry works. Rivers knows how valuable he is and what he could become with a talented roster such as the Texans.

In Houston he would have:

1. a one-two punch running game of Foster and Tate
    2. Andre Johnson and Hopkins as legit pass threats.
    3. A fierce defense led by J.J Watt with the addition of Clowney.

That is a recipe for championship contention next season.

I don't know how the Chargers could offer the same. They don't have great picks the last few years under development and the draft order is late 1st round. Know these things, we should really make a push and get the best option to compete now rather than spend 3 years developing a no. 1 pick at QB.