1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Phillies] Phillies TV man Kalas dies at 73

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ryan17wagner, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

WASHINGTON -- Philadelphia Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas has died at the age of 73, team president David Montgomery said Monday.

Kalas, who also filled a voiceover role for NFL Films since 1975, was taken to a hospital Monday after passing out in the broadcast booth before Monday's game against the Washington Nationals.

The 73-year-old Kalas, known for his distinctive "Outta here!" call on home runs, was found by the Phillies director of broadcasting at about 12:30 p.m., Montgomery said.

Kalas joined the Phillies in 1971. Before that, he was an original member of the Houston Astros' broadcast team from 1965-70.

In 2002, he received the Baseball Hall of Fame's Ford C. Frick Award for his contributions to the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4064793

2. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

He had a great voice. I remember in 05 during the final stretch run when Biggio tagged Billy Wagner for a home run that gave us the lead and win. You could feel the agony in his voice. 610 played that clip over and over.

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Member

Weird considering I listened to one of their games the other day. He had a pretty unique voice. RIP.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Kalas got his major league start with the Astros.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

So this was the guy on all those NFL films. RIP.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

sad.. kalas was a great broadcaster with a hell of a voice.

I have the clip somewhere of Kalas announcing when:

6-5 Phillies
    2 out
    2 on
    Biggio HR off Wags in Philly

That was a sweet moment

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That sucks. RIP. When I first saw this thread I didn't recognize the name... but I loved this guy's voiceover work for NFL Films. I grew up watching him narrate the football highlights on HBO's "Inside the NFL" ... couldn't wait until he told the story of an Oilers win.

Harry Kalas' voice for NFL work:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ofL-0BYALS8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ofL-0BYALS8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Not to be confused with the original John Facenda (aka "Voice of God"), who did it until 1984:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XmiVYFueNvQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XmiVYFueNvQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I want to play this at my funeral.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Biggio's HR call was priceless. Kalas was just saying it the way he felt it.

He also did Notre Dame football a few years ago. I can still hear him say, "Hiawatha Francisco".

10. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

sort of a nice way to go, at the ballpark.

i'd hate to go at my job. mostly because i'd be dead...

a government office cubical is depressing enough without the spectre of death.

11. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Member

RIP Harry. Great Man.

I loved when Keith Olbermann imitated him on Sportscenter.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

RIP, Harry, you will be SORELY missed. Yea, I still get chills every time I would hear him and Facenda on the NFL Films stuff with the great music that was done (mostly done by him) by Sam Spence. Was listening to some great stuff on youtube this afternoon in terms of the NFL Films music. Yea, Olbermann had a great impersonation of him - also liked Rich Eisen's impersonation of Skip Caray, who sadly is also gone.

:( :(